Toronto East Harbour | 214.2m | 65s | Cadillac Fairview | Adamson

This looks amazing, but won't Metrolinx be responsible for funding and designing the station as well as selecting the contractor, leaving the developer with little say on the design?
First Gulf has said that they'll help pay for the station here: they want a signature space!

Meeting next Thursday night - First Gulf will be doing a presentation

ewH5kJl.png

I think the key to the Amazon bid will be a more temporary expansion spot in an existing building - perhaps 16 York, across from their existing offices in Toronto, with the long term movement of staff into a large campus facility as time moves on. Amazon doesn't need 8 million square feet right away. No city could provide that kind of space.

I think the key to the Amazon bid will be a more temporary expansion spot in an existing building - perhaps 16 York, across from their existing offices in Toronto, with the long term movement of staff into a large campus facility as time moves on. Amazon doesn't need 8 million square feet right away. No city could provide that kind of space.
Right, and as pointed out in the Amazon thread, the East Harbour site, as well as the adjacent lands along Eastern, Lake Shore, Commissioners and down into the Portlands provide plenty of room for organic long-term expansion for Amazon.

Hopefully an arrangement like you mention is sought out.

I recall that First Gulf was trying to lease the existing former industrial building but had no takers. I wonder if they could go back to that plan with an Amazon win and use a phased approach where the existing building could be renovated into useable office space by 2019, with the first new tower by 2023, followed by others, and ultimately the replacement of the existing building.

I wonder how many square feet of office space could be accomodated in the existing structure - the initial Amazon phase requires 500,000 square feet.

I like the idea of starting out organically with satellite buildings further east on Lake Shore or Eastern. Many tech campuses are spread out to begin with. And now that I'm thinking about it, 2023 doesn't seem all that far out for East Harbour's first phase opening. That's just a hair over five years.

How does it work with zoning new builds in a flood plain. Some are obviously allowed like film studios or warehousing, maybe some retail. But I have an inkling a tech office wouldn't be allowed before any flood protection landform is in place. Or could it?

Port+Lands+Flood+Plain.jpg

there aren't any explicit restrictions from building in a floodplain, provided that the TRCA allows it.

The floodplain is not an issue anyway, the portlands don river naturalization project is going to be done in 6 years and that will remove this from the floodplain.

I was more talking about move-in ready sites near/adjacent to EH that fit the requirement of HQ2's RFP. I think 5-6yrs might be a bit long. But if we could have an initial phase within proximity (say Lake Shore E or Eastern) before that time, say 2-3yrs, I think it could work in our favour. Or would the lack of an FPL prevent that?

The site will require its' own FPL anyways - I think that is what will make the difference for the site, not the new channel for the Lower Don per se.

AoD

I had to google "FPL" (Flood Protection Landform). Be considerate with the more obscure acronyms. :p

Anyway, the issue I see with a first phase adjacent to EH that @44 North mentions is that A) It won't be ready by 2019 and; B) there will be inadequate transit in place until East Harbour is underway.

Back