Toronto East Harbour | 214.2m | 65s | Cadillac Fairview | Adamson

Wow..potentially very cool interiors. I think this will be one of the most exiting projects to look forward to. Along with he new transit proposals and linking Broadview through the site (I believe?)..it's close to Queen E. Very exiting indeed. It will no longer feel like the bottom end of the city but the beginning of a new era.

Those interiors will be demolished along with the exteriors.

Kind of a shame though, it's a fairly solid and attractive factory building that could add some contextural grounding to the site.

I guess that it was probably in the way of the floodproofing and that there might have been issues in updating it to modern office standards.

Those interiors will be demolished along with the exteriors.

Aw, I didn't know the exterior was to be demolished. Not sure what the date is of the factory building (30's?), but it looks good and would look better if incorporated into whatever is planned.

Great Gulf tried to lease it out for a few years, no takers.

It's also positioned in a way that prevents optimal redevelopment of the site. It has to go, unfortunately.

I've heard talk from people who are often in the know that the site is looking to open up for special events, similar to Toronto For Everyone at Honest Ed's and Luminato at the Hearn, before work begins on East Harbour.

It's also positioned in a way that prevents optimal redevelopment of the site. It has to go, unfortunately.

It's not that bad is it? The factory is located at the edge of the site, not in the middle of it. I would say that buildings like these actually generate more interesting site developments because of the need to respond to the existing built form and material.

Regardless, nice to know that they're hoping to host some interesting events in the building before it goes.

bnr-profserv2.jpg

Request for Proposal
ecblank.gif
Call number: 9119-17-7074
Commodity:
Professional Services, Consulting Services
Description:
Unilever Precinct Planning Study
The purpose of this RFP is to select a qualified Vendor to assist the City Planning Division and its Corporate Partners to develop and implement a public engagement and stakeholder consultation strategy and process for the Unilever Precinct Planning Study (the "Study"), including the consideration of First Gulf's East Harbour applications and the East Harbour SmartTrack Station. The Unilever Precinct includes lands south of Eastern Avenue, east of the Don River, north of Lake Shore Boulevard East and west of Booth Avenue. It also includes an "Area of Influence" north of the rail embankment and west along the Don River. First Gulf is the largest landowner in the Precinct, holding 35 of the approximately 60 acres through its ownership of 21 Don Valley Parkway and 30 Booth Avenue. The City, through its ownership of the Keating Rail Lands and the Booth Works Yard at 433 Eastern Avenue, is the second largest landowner in the Precinct. See Precinct Ownership Map at Attachment 1.

The Study is expected to generate implementing planning instruments, including site-specific instruments to govern the proposed East Harbour development. For further details see section 2.0 Purpose in the RFP document.
Issue date: March 20, 2017
ecblank.gif
Closing date: April 7, 2017
at 12:00 Noon
Notes:
Viewing Copy
pdf.gif
9119-17-7074 Vendor Viewing Copy.pdf (1514 Kbytes) - Posted on 03/20/2017 03:51:11 PM

especially with the broadview extension taking a significant chunk of the lot.

I'm sure BMW isn't too happy right now. That building isn't that old, they probably haven't financed it fully yet and the city is pushing for it to be demoed.

You know specifically that the City is pushing for it to be demoed? The building isn't close to being in the way of the Broadview extension.

Back