Toronto Dundas Square Gardens | 156.05m | 50s | Gupta | IBI Group

This will be one of those rare cases where demolition of an existing structure will in and of itself improve the city. I'd give them extra height just for bringing this sucker down.

^

This intersection is fiercely gentrifying with Pace Condos and now this. I guess this movement will gradually shift eastwards to Sherbourne.

[/URL]

As long as Fillmore's remains untouched I'm thrilled to see this area get a makeover!

222 Jarvis will be there for at least another 100 years. Provided that we make it through 2012.

With regarding to 200 Dundas. Why tear down a profit making hotel where there is a parking lot and a poor excuse for a strip plaza right across the street?

With regarding to 200 Dundas. Why tear down a profit making hotel where there is a parking lot and a poor excuse for a strip plaza right across the street?

Does the developer who owns that hotel also own that parking lot and strip plaza?

I'm no good with sarcasm or jokes in written form, so let's be clear, your kidding right?

Agreed. 222 Jarvis is a fantastic example of Brutalism done right (unlike One Yonge), and I hope it stands as one of the future examples of that type of architecture, along with Robarts. It's just so.. badass.

I assume you may be certain because the City property records say that 200 Dundas East is the Hilton?

Yes, let's just say that's the reason for my certitude.

Actually, I was responding to some of the speculation earlier in the thread that the application relates to property other than the Hilton Garden Inn.

Yes, let's just say that's the reason for my certitude.

Actually, I was responding to some of the speculation earlier in the thread that the application relates to property other than the Hilton Garden Inn.

I am the guilty party that asked if the address was correct.

I guess I don't understand the logic behind tearing down what looks to be a busy hotel, when...as UD2 pointed out (and so did I), that the strip plaza to the South of the site is an eyesore and could use some TLC (redevelopment instead of this site?).

I guess I don't understand the logic behind tearing down what looks to be a busy hotel, when...as UD2 pointed out (and so did I), that the strip plaza to the South of the site is an eyesore and could use some TLC (redevelopment instead of this site?).

I do the same thing when I see Victorians or buildings of merit being torn down to build something here 'n there when next door or a block away there are parking lots or other unredeeming properties that would benefit a neighbourhood by being taken down and redeveloped.

I am the guilty party that asked if the address was correct.

The strip plaza that is kitty-corner to this Hotel is being redeveloped by Great Gulf as "Pace" condominiums :

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...rvis-Great-Gulf-42s-D-S)?highlight=great+gulf

I seem to recall that the owner of this Hotel is the same person behind the proposed Hotel one block south on the Northeast corner of Jarvis and Shuter so perhaps that will be the new Hilton-Garden Hotel. Like most people - I will be happy to see this eye-sore come down.

Last edited:
Corner of Jarvis and Shuter is oxygen condos proposal, I believe Church and Shuter had a hotel proposal at one time.

I do the same thing when I see Victorians or buildings of merit being torn down to build something here 'n there when next door or a block away there are parking lots or other unredeeming properties that would benefit a neighbourhood by being taken down and redeveloped.

Developers build on land they own, not on parking lots in the neighbourhood that you wished were redeveloped.

The strip plaza that is kitty-corner to this Hotel is being redeveloped by Great Gulf as "Pace" condominiums :

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...rvis-Great-Gulf-42s-D-S)?highlight=great+gulf

I seem to recall that the owner of this Hotel is the same person behind the proposed Hotel one block south on the Northeast corner of Jarvis and Shuter so perhaps that will be the new Hilton-Garden Hotel. Like most people - I will be happy to see this eye-sore come down.

This I know, I mentioned South of the site (ie: the Ho-Lee-Chow site). I understand the South/West is designated for Pace.

re-dev.jpg

dt_toronto_geek, I guess we are not meant to make sense of it - in the end it's all about money in the developers pocket.

Back