Toronto Daniels Waterfront - City of the Arts | 156.05m | 45s | Daniels | RAW Design

Well, slightly is the keyword here which is what I said in my previous post. The floors are mostly rectangular and the have to be so because it is an office building and they want to maximize efficiency. Why? Because office buildings have even more people per sq. ft. compared to residential. So yes, CIBC Square is still a box but a great looking one. I would call it a gift box!
I would also agree it’s nice looking box. Without getting into too much details, offices strive for open plans, flexibility and deepwe floor plates that can accept less accessibility to light. Residential units are much more demanding on elevation design in that every units needs air to return and exhaust with min. Clearance in between, structural shear walls that are most economical and glazing Ratio that meets energy requirement but also provide min. daylight. These are basic code requirement based on residential program. Offices have a completely different criteria. Ever thought why our offices look one way and our condos look another way even though it’s both all glass? It’s much more than the difference between window wall versus curtain wall.

Has anyone seen any sign of the promised 're-covering' of the crowns yet? The sidewalk on Lower Jarvis was covered over several weeks ago but I can see no changes above (or any sign of work going on).
No action yet but they were on roof on Oct 2 and the swing stage is now on the south side. (Move it back to the west)
1C587329-71BB-4F4D-A04A-695DE8A548BE.jpeg

oct 28
B5DD0B6B-02A2-48EC-9ED8-BECBF4F2A59D.jpeg

I think the pink and green signs below states the French University Of Ontario is moving in or starting September 2021. But hey I’m still working on English as my only language.

Assuming 9 Lower Jarvis is this 2nd floor space and not the commercial tower.
Edit: maybe the big 15 suggests otherwise?
064FB8F5-F938-459D-A925-39F0A1FD7BB6.jpeg

Last edited:
For a moment there I was hoping they where preparing to replace that dreadful cladding on the mechanical. The last thing they need is a clashy sign added to draw more attention to it. /sigh

Assuming 9 Lower Jarvis is this 2nd floor space and not the commercial tower.
Edit: maybe the big 15 suggests otherwise?
View attachment 279695
15 is the address for the west tower. Entry for the L'UOF, at 9, is further south and through 'The Yard'. They will take the area where the second floor where the sign is.

For a moment there I was hoping they where preparing to replace that dreadful cladding on the mechanical. The last thing they need is a clashy sign added to draw more attention to it. /sigh
Is that the reason why the mechanical room's facade looks like that. They're waiting to put a huge sign up there ? Oh well I guess it's better than what we're looking at now!

Interestingly, you can see they have started making changes to the crown. If you go back you can see in pictures that the south side of the crown used to have white markings on top of the black. In the most recent photos that area is completely black.

Two willows have been replaced!

image.jpg

Say what you want about the towers, I don’t like them either, but every other aspect of this block I really like. Office and podium look great. And pretty decent street scape. Queens quay portion could have been better but I assume that will be improved once the whole street is overhauled.

Is this new? What’s up with developers putting their names on buildings recently. Dundas square gardens and now this. I don’t get it

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back