Toronto Daniels Waterfront - City of the Arts | 156.05m | 45s | Daniels | RAW Design

Hey, Daniels. This is the crown you promised. Hope to see it shortly.

1605069333798.png

Source

Tell me you don't believe that we'll actually be getting that from Daniels...
Though you may well be right to remind us of whom we are dealing with, it does not strike me as unreasonable to have some expectation of a building looking a bit like its renderings. The rendering above looks pretty nice and I really doubt that the current crown version was significantly cheaper than the original (thought it certainly LOOKS cheaper). Even odder is why they would now be 'fixing' it by probably making it worse and only (apparently) doing so to the crown on one tower on one side.

November 25, 2020
The crown’s revision is progressing. It’s not at all what Daniels promised but it’s an improvement over the disaster it’s replacing.

(Apologies for the poor quality pic. Hopefully, it gets the job done.)

View attachment 285067

In my mind a cheap revision to the crown that would've looked good would've been to make it white, not dark grey. It still sticks out weird from some angles.

In my mind a cheap revision to the crown that would've looked good would've been to make it white, not dark grey. It still sticks out weird from some angles.
The crown was supposed to be a continuation/culmination of the "sound wave" theme of the balcony railings. Clearly, it's not going to be that.

The crown was supposed to be a continuation/culmination of the "sound wave" theme of the balcony railings. Clearly, it's not going to be that.
Clearly, the continuation of the soundwave motif on the crown is just as invisible to the naked eye as the soundwave on the balconies. One simply needs X-ray vision to spot it.

^^^ Well, I had hoped because the architects themselves admitted that, at Daniels' repeated cajoling, they delivered the design cheap via "balcony architecture," ie, with the soundwave motif, and that basically any other design flourish was off the table. I didn't think that even that wasn't cheap enough and that Daniels would do even more value-engineering, ie, butcher the crown.

Last edited:
I concur with emphur that I wish they had replaced the black paneling with more of white paneling. The white paneling would have looked closer to the original design and fit in better with the white balcony colour scheme. Also, based on close-up images posted previously, the white paneling is either higher quality or hides the oil canning much better than the black.

This picture shows the difference well:

To be fair, what we're seeing now could be the first phase of implementing the crown - the underlying pattern.

I'm not holding my breath though.

Seems like it's going to be continuation/culmination of our disappointment. :p

The fact they are changing it is an admission it was clearly an eyesore to begin with. Hopefully, they'll bring an improvement to the crown instead, but I am not holding my breath here...

I know it’s been said a million times, so this probably brings next to no value to this thread, but I just gotta say:

Christ, this building is an eyesore

I can’t stop staring at it. How could any self-respecting architect want to take credit for such a skyline-scarring monster? How could any developer be proud of what they’ve built? I don’t get it

The day this gets the wrecking ball (or a recladding, I’ll accept either) I’m throwing a massive party to celebrate. And you’re all invited

Back