Toronto Daniels Waterfront - City of the Arts | 156.05m | 45s | Daniels | RAW Design

So basically it should stay because a few people like seeing the boats being unloaded and because everything else around it is “homogenous”.

The city wants the high paid industrial jobs to remain along with the associated taxes. How hard is it to understand that?

Do you actually know this for certain or are you guessing? And if this is in fact the case, is it even worth it when what we’re left with is the building in question.

I am fairly certain the workers are more well paid than the concierge next door. As to whether it is "worth it" - there is nothing to be "worth it" about. The operator isn't leaving and there is no case for the city or any other level of government to buy them out and take ownership of the site at this point in time. Fin.

AoD

Do you actually know this for certain or are you guessing? And if this is in fact the case, is it even worth it when what we’re left with is the building in question.
It's certainly worth it for the folk who can live in St Lawrence and walk to their work in the sugar plant and the City DOES have a policy of trying to keep employment uses in all parts of the city. Also, as AoD says - Redpath are not planning to leave and own their site. "Nothing to see here, move along please"

On a long-term horizon, Redpath will probably either get pushed out, or sell for land value. I see no need to rush it.

Even with the relatively fast pace of development in the area, we are still looking at at least 15 - 20 years before all the low-hanging fruit in the east waterfront is developed. Ignoring the projects already in the pipeline, does anyone disagree that the Loblaws land, for example, is ripe for development before Redpath?

I doubt it will be around in the 30+ year horizon, but I don't see a compelling case to force Redpath to close before its time, losing the diversification of land uses & centrally located industrial jobs its existence entails.

Meh, considering our current track record, what's going to replace Redpath is going to be pretty crap anyways. More bland un-innovative buildings with a tiny park at best? If it was going to be a large park and/or community center then I'd feel different.

On a long-term horizon, Redpath will probably either get pushed out, or sell for land value. I see no need to rush it.

Even with the relatively fast pace of development in the area, we are still looking at at least 15 - 20 years before all the low-hanging fruit in the east waterfront is developed. Ignoring the projects already in the pipeline, does anyone disagree that the Loblaws land, for example, is ripe for development before Redpath?

I doubt it will be around in the 30+ year horizon, but I don't see a compelling case to force Redpath to close before its time, losing the diversification of land uses & centrally located industrial jobs its existence entails.

I Thought I remember hearing awhile back that the Loblaws site will be redeveloped once Loblaws finds a deal in one of the other buildings or similar to relocate.

I Thought I remember hearing awhile back that the Loblaws site will be redeveloped once Loblaws finds a deal in one of the other buildings or similar to relocate.

I haven't heard that rumour, but that's interesting given that the Sugar Wharf has touted that it will contain a grocery store - which I remember thinking was odd given that Loblaws was next door. This would make total sense.

Meh, considering our current track record, what's going to replace Redpath is going to be pretty crap anyways. More bland un-innovative buildings with a tiny park at best? If it was going to be a large park and/or community center then I'd feel different.
If it was publicly owned, then a public space might have been in store.

But this is private owned land and whoever desires to purchase Redpath is going to expect a return on their investment.

I haven't heard that rumour, but that's interesting given that the Sugar Wharf has touted that it will contain a grocery store - which I remember thinking was odd given that Loblaws was next door. This would make total sense.
Yes, the new street that is going through from Yonge to Lower Jarvis will go through the Loblaw site and they will relocate.

Yeah, they probably will, but don't the Weston family own that land for future development?
I think so and I guess they may move back to it in a new development but it's an investnent and if they bought part of another parcel or linked with another owner on that site it might be easier. I doubt they would want NO grocery store there for 3+ years.

I think so and I guess they may move back to it in a new development but it's an investnent and if they bought part of another parcel or linked with another owner on that site it might be easier. I doubt they would want NO grocery store there for 3+ years.

When I used to renovate Loblaws a few years back they were doing a lot of REIT developments with the lands they owned and leased back. Not sure if this is what they would do down here also. Sell and make a deal with a developer to lease in another adjacent site.

Toronto has the 2nd largest food manufacturing sector in north America after Los Angeles. One of the key competitive advantages of our industry is access to refined sugar derived from sugar cane. Factories in the US, for the most part, use corn syrup which isn't considered as good. The Redpath refinery receives sugar cane from the Caribbean by ship and is an integral cog in the wheel.

Younger people seem to equate tech with 'good' and manufacturing with 'bad', One isn't better than the other. Besides, we can't all work for Google.

Toronto has the 2nd largest food manufacturing sector in north America after Los Angeles. One of the key competitive advantages of our industry is access to refined sugar derived from sugar cane. Factories in the US, for the most part, use corn syrup which isn't considered as good. The Redpath refinery receives sugar cane from the Caribbean by ship and is an integral cog in the wheel.

Younger people seem to equate tech with 'good' and manufacturing with 'bad', One isn't better than the other. Besides, we can't all work for Google.

And older people seem to be condescending towards young people, and assume things about them quite often.

Back