Toronto Daniels Waterfront - City of the Arts | 156.05m | 45s | Daniels | RAW Design

There are A LOT of injuries due to falls every year. The public doesn't really hear about any of those. There are plenty of deaths as well.

Statistically, the rate has been increasing yearly. Sadly, safety isn't taken too seriously on a lot of sites.

Interesting that both the Star and CBC are as yet describing the site in very vague terms. To prevent details spreading too fast before family notified perhaps?

Constructions workers must have the highest on the job death rate in the city. We hear about these deaths on a regular basis and nobody seems too worked up about it. I guess their union isn't so powerful, if they even have a union.

The MOL website is a good place to visit for statistics on construction related accidents in Ontario. Falls rank at the top of the list of causes of death in construction .

Constructions workers must have the highest on the job death rate in the city. We hear about these deaths on a regular basis and nobody seems too worked up about it. I guess their union isn't so powerful, if they even have a union.

In these large construction sites there are a number of different and strong unions. Some of the people who work on these sites are not in unions however. The Unions and WSIB and the Ontario Ministry of Labour are very involved and certainly get 'worked up' about these incidents. There will be an investigation and penalties if there is something or someone at fault. Often there is pressure to get things done fast and that rush may lead to safety issues. I know this because I am married to someone who is a supervisor and is working on this site and a few other sites throughout the city. This is always a tragedy and many people are affected and it is taken seriously. My thought go to the families and friends.

By historical standards, construction deaths are very low now. If people aren't worked up about it, it's because most people know that and realize that accidents will never be fully eliminated.

By historical standards, construction deaths are very low now. If people aren't worked up about it, it's because most people know that and realize that accidents will never be fully eliminated.

That's a ridiculous and callous comment. Just because death and injury rates are lower now doesn't mean we shrug our shoulders and say that's just the way things are -- clearly there are ways to prevent fatalities, which is the entire point of the labour standards and safety standards that have resulted in the lower rates we see today.

There were over 700 construction-related falls in Ontario in 2014 alone: https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/open/injury_trends.php

^ It isn't a ridiculous and callous comment. It's realistic and logical. You can't always pile up more and more regulations without things eventually getting unworkably stupid. I've worked at Habitat For Habitat sites and the stupidity of making new knee-jerk rules in response to every freak accidents are frequent conversations during lunch. Workers can easily be careless themselves. It's not always due to lax regulations or someone else being at fault.

Last edited:
Talk Condo tweet from today showing the scale model of both the west tower and the south building:

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    253.4 KB · Views: 282
YES! Finally there's some visual connection down past the overpasses! It's always been such a poorly connected stretch that feels so much worse because there's nothing to draw you in. This could really change Jarvis' connection to the lake.

Back