Toronto Cumberland Square | 253.92m | 75s | KingSett Capital | Giannone Petricone

Pretty sure they are just replacing it but could be wrong. Thought they had a temporary one on the other side for some time.

Does anyone know what is happening to the site across the street, namely the current Stollery's site?

Ah, its great news they plan on keeping the office tower ... at least for now ... we're talking about ~ 400K of office space ... that 2000+ jobs !

Ah, its great news they plan on keeping the office tower ... at least for now ... we're talking about ~ 400K of office space ... that 2000+ jobs !

The Two Bloor West tower is 94% occupied. There is no way from a business standpoint where it would make sense to demolish and replaced with condos. City council, city planning and I suspect the majority of the public would be outraged if Oxford had made a formal application to take down the office tower and not replace the lost space. If Oxford still wishes to pursue two tall condo towers like the prior Aa proposal, it will be squeezed on to the balance of the site.

Bumping my old post from July 5

The office tower isn't going anywhere. I was unable to find the occupancy rate for 2 Bloor West, but Oxford's office portfolio occupancy rate as a whole is 93 percent for 2012. I can't see how it would make economic or political sense to demolish it as Oxford would lose a steady income stream and would be directly contrary to the city's strong desire to retention employment uses, creating a lot of ill will. On a side note, Pinnacle Development also went through the land severance process at the Committee of Adjustments and the OMB for 1 Yonge St. before submitting plans for their mega development.

The old development proposal for Cumberland Terrance consisted of two residential towers at 48 and 36 storeys while maintaining the 2 Bloor West office tower. Oxford received planning permission from the city back in 2010 to construct the new towers. A lot has changed since then with Morguard's proposal for 83 storeys at 50 Bloor and Minto's proposal for the Cumberland street parking garage for 69 and 55 storeys.

That's a shame - that design is different enough to enhance the Bloor-Yorkville skyline.

As usual, we're left with Aagh. Who can say copy/paste glass box with patterned balconies and glass fins?!

it is about 85% full at the present time:
http://www.realinsite.com/index.php?page=searchengine&building_name=2+Bloor&locationc=&searchbyabldgbtn=Find+Buildings

I think a couple floors came available recently, it used to be close to 100% occupied ... but this is normal for an office building ... i.e. going through periods of more space available. Moreover only about 8% of the building is available through direct leasing, the rest is a sub-lease implying the owner (i.e. oxford) is getting paid either way.

Regardless, there is no way this amount of space can be allowed to be converted without replacing it ! Particularly in a node that sees just about 0 new office construction ...

Thankfully this design wasn't selected. Here's to hoping that the actual concept will be closer to B+H's.

Thankfully this design wasn't selected. Here's to hoping that the actual concept will be closer to B+H's.

B+H?

urbantoronto-5822-18802.jpg

Oooh yeah, definitely meant Aa, not B+H.

I do find the podium on that one to be slightly better than this newest concept, though neither are anything to write home about.

As a commenter noted: what's the point of holding an international competition and going with a local firm? lol how ridiculous. Way too many aA buildings near Yonge and Bloor.

Back