Toronto Cumberland Square | 253.92m | 75s | KingSett Capital | Giannone Petricone

It's kind of how nice how fast Toronto got all these 5 star hotels, went from 0 to 5 in no time, now we have finally caught up to other major north american cities that have multiple five star hotels.

This building fits in perfect in this location, I'm sure they will have no trouble selling the condo units.

Last edited by a moderator:
Naw, we are well beyond that. The fact is that this is quite a valuable piece of property, which has been grossly underutilized for years now. (With hindsight, badly conceived from the very beginning.) If this were a strip mall in the burbs, OK. But this is among the highest priced locations in the city and the simple economics of the situation will demand a high density, high quality structure here.

Of course. But if there weren't other plans because, for instance, the land values weren't that great, it could be an interesting case for how applicable certain notions advanced by Jane Jacobs would be to a small scale Modernist building like this one now that it has aged and is available to more businesses. Could it work if there were no other plans? Naturally, the question is relevant to more suburban locations with less redevelopment pressure.

what luxury hotel do you guys think it would be?

Will be interesting to see what happens with the Holt Renfrew Centre, which is managed by Morguard. Would rather see a more cohesive use of the block - plus if Holts ever wants to expand backwards they'll eat into whatever retaiil space oxford has planned for the site.

Of course. But if there weren't other plans because, for instance, the land values weren't that great, it could be an interesting case for how applicable certain notions advanced by Jane Jacobs would be to a small scale Modernist building like this one now that it has aged and is available to more businesses. Could it work if there were no other plans? Naturally, the question is relevant to more suburban locations with less redevelopment pressure.

Interesting point: related more to potential economic uncertainties than to CT's inherent merits (or lack thereof) per se. Almost a Rob Ford-esque "make do of what exists".

Incidentally, glimpsing the capsule-form photo of CT, I nearly thought it could pass for some lowrise restaurant/shops block out of 50s/60s Scandinavia or Eastern Europe...the reality being, of course, much more heavy-handedly 70s North American...

Yes Sofitel was planned for One Bloor at one time. Shame they got rid of the hotel, One Bloor would have been a perfect spot for a luxury hotel. I'm guessing the hotel will be a four star hotel, I would like to see a W hotel or another Westin or Sofitel would be nice too for that area.

Back