Toronto Cumberland Square | 253.92m | 75s | KingSett Capital | Giannone Petricone

Make this happen!

CumberlandTerraceR1.jpg

From Tobuilt

Please don't change the render too much!

Attachments

• CumberlandTerraceR1.jpg
    CumberlandTerraceR1.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 410
Just a reminder of what's there now

cumbterrace.jpg

Wow, anything that would replace this building would really improve the streetscape and the built form. With the Four Seasons going up, Yorkville is really being pulled toward Yonge, not its traditional sphere of influence. It will be interesting to see whether the upscale environment can allow a vertical foothold in Canada's premier shopping district, which is currently decidedly horizontal with Bloor, Yorkville and Cumberland.

Rentals, unless there has been a change of plan.

I'm always rather puzzled by this Cumberland place, it's in a really nice area of town but it always seems so run down and low-end, dreary even. The sooner it is revamped and developed the better.

I'm always rather puzzled by this Cumberland place, it's in a really nice area of town but it always seems so run down and low-end, dreary even. The sooner it is revamped and developed the better.

Moving storefronts to the street from the inside pedestrian mall will be an improvement. However, the lack of pedestrian crossing makes this intersection feel less welcome and really disconnects this street from the rest of Yorkville and Yonge & Bloor.

Moving storefronts to the street from the inside pedestrian mall will be an improvement. However, the lack of pedestrian crossing makes this intersection feel less welcome and really disconnects this street from the rest of Yorkville and Yonge & Bloor.

I know what you mean, but with 2 sets of street lights on either side its more of an illusion. Its actually the fact the mall itself is so dreary, as is the office building just north, as is the mini mall/arcade across the street. The whole thing is an awful mess, but this project will go a long way towards fixing it. Until the North side of Cumberland & south side of Yorkville East of Bay gets addressed it will not come together.

Keep in mind that Cumberland Terrace was built in the 70's when Bloor Street West was a much different place than it is today. Around the mid 80's/early 90's, stores started to turn over from brand stores to discount type shops and has remained that way since. They never really had the foot traffic through there, especially the street level area although the food court can do well thanks, in part, to people who work in the offices nearby.

At the risk of being pointlessly contrarian: I'm actually quite fond of Cumberland Terrace as it is. I know it's a mess, and any redevelopment will improve the streetscape tenfold. I'm not arguing that. But I really like Cumberland Terrace. I like that it's crummy. It's a refuge from the area. I like that it's a irritant in the eye of the otherwise deeply self-satisfied Yorkville neighbourhood. It's a little shard of a past city.

Back