Toronto CrystalBlu Condos | ?m | 36s | Bazis | Burka

Does anyone have pictures of Balmuto Street before these two towers began construction (or before the previous properties were demolished)?

I moved to Toronto after these towers were already under construction and I'm very curious :)

Does anyone have pictures of Balmuto Street before these two towers began construction (or before the previous properties were demolished)?

I moved to Toronto after these towers were already under construction and I'm very curious :)

Here's some photos from the area -

The property from above when I lived at Yonge & Bloor taken in the early/mid 90's, the former Uptown Cinema where Uptown condos now stands is highlighted (entrance & cinema area).

Uptownview.jpg

The Backstage Cinemas (the theatre's original backstage area converted into two small stacked cinemas in the early 70's) on Balumuto Street before and during demolition. Uptown condos now stand here.

UptownBackstage2003.jpg

Uptown7.jpg

Uptown11.jpg

Once the backstage area was demolished work continued towards Yonge Street to demolish the original auditorium. Three days after this was taken a horrible accident occured where ceiling supports gave way, the roof collapsed and the building imploded causing damage to the Scotia Bank to the north and most notably, to a business to the south on Balmuto Street killing one person and injuring many others.

Uptown16.jpg

Balmuto Street is to the left, the damaged business is now where Blu stands, the collapsed cinema is where Uptown condos now stand

pic13.jpg

Oh yeah... duhhh. I totally knew that theatre was there, and hence the "Uptown" condominium tower going in. Thanks for the pics :).

What was the building next to it like? Yorkville-style shops or what?

To the north is the Scotiabank which is obviously still there, on the other side was a two-storey complex that had Balumuto's Bar & a Tai or Japanese restaurant, a Yuk Yuk's which I believe was downstairs and offices upstairs including the language school where the students got hurt/killed when the roof of the Uptown theatre imploded. Further to the south is the Charles Street Mall/apartments which is still there.

up18.jpg

I was in the French Connection when the building fell over. It felt like an earth-quake. If it would have fallen north, instead of south, I might not be here talking to you guys.

I actually kind of liked that bar. The Balmuto Triangle, no? I didn't go into it many times, but I remember it well. The Indian restaurant there was really good, Mr. Maharaja if I'm not mistaken. They briefly opened up on Yonge St. almost directly behind their old location, but it didn't last long

I actually kind of liked that bar. The Balmuto Triangle, no? I didn't go into it many times, but I remember it well. The Indian restaurant there was really good, Mr. Maharaja if I'm not mistaken. They briefly opened up on Yonge St. almost directly behind their old location, but it didn't last long

When I worked at the Uptown in the early 90's we used to go there or Burgundy's on Yonge after work fairly regularily. I think it was just "Balmuto's" back then but I do recall the name changing once or twice. It was a clean, friendly, non-pretentious place with decent pub food and well priced pitchers.

Hume gave this a "C" grade at today's Toronto Star. Uptown Residences next to get a C grade ?

http://www.yourhome.ca/homes/hometype/condos/article/951266--hume-balmuto-is-short-but-has-grown-tall

Here is the quote:

Condo Critic

Crystal Blu, 21 Balmuto St.: Aside from its rather ridiculous name, this project suffers from a terminal case of glitziness. That might have seemed appropriate a couple of decades ago; but not now. Today, Toronto is a more sophisticated city, one less dependent on architectural flash.

Crystal Blu, a tall and vey thin point tower, rises from a vestigial podium that looks onto Balmuto. Architecturally, the building has little to offer. Apart from the limestone cladding at street level, the exterior finishes are mostly glass. Not surprisingly, its street presence is minimal, especially for a tower that looms so large on the skyline.

But even limestone can’t help enliven these instantly familiar lines. And as for the blue-crystal cut-aways, these decorative details chiseled out of the podium surfaces are more bizarre than beautiful.

GRADE: C

interesting thing is no matter how ugly the building is they would still sell for >$700 per sqft just because they happen to be in the location...

One further comment on the Uptown theatre collapse during the demolition work.

The inquest and subsequent investigation's delayed demolition work at other projects around the city and put several projects seriously behind schedule, such as at least one hospital project where demo work was required.

I believe that new demo procedures have resulted from this.

Back