News   Jul 04, 2024
 433     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 478     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 1K     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I had heard a rumour a little while back that the trains were going to be tested in Waterloo. The first tracks go in the ground there this summer on the stretch between Northfield and Columbia, by the Maintenance Facility which is well under way. It kind of makes sense - trains will be in revenue service there in 2017 so it becomes the first user of the FLEXITY Freedom LRV's.

ehlow makes a good point. You can always upgrade the rolling stock. Same could be said for using newer Skytrains on the Scarborough RT...........

The newer "Skytrains" (Bombardier Mark units) are not compatible with the Scarborough RT as they are longer and wider and do not make the sharp turns and tunnels of the RT system.

However, it would have cost less than the LRT or the subway to convert the system to do so:

"In 2006, a study was completed on the prospects of the Scarborough RT.[18][19] It recommended upgrading the line to handle larger ART Mark II vehicles, at a cost of $360 million (2006 dollars). Extending the Bloor–Danforth line, either along the current Scarborough RT route or along a different alignment directly to Scarborough Centre, was not considered cost-effective or justifiable."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarborough_RT

"In 2006, a study was completed on the prospects of the Scarborough RT.[18][19] It recommended upgrading the line to handle larger ART Mark II vehicles, at a cost of $360 million (2006 dollars). Extending the Bloor–Danforth line, either along the current Scarborough RT route or along a different alignment directly to Scarborough Centre, was not considered cost-effective or justifiable."
That included the new vehicles as well. The upgrade cost for the line was $190 million (the vehilces were $170 million).

With the recent reports that no extra vehicles or storage are needed for the Scarborough extension, with the cost still in the $3 billion range, essentially we've gone from a $170 million project to a $3 billion project.

The $3 billion price presumed a yard and new vehicles.

So yes, that means that the cost of the extension may actually go DOWN with the completion of the EA.

The $3 billion price presumed a yard and new vehicles.

So yes, that means that the cost of the extension may actually go DOWN with the completion of the EA.
I suppose it might go down.

I bet it doesn't, given that it's hard to imagine even the shortest route (Eglinton/Danforth/McCowan to Sheppard) doesn't have at least 4 stations.

That included the new vehicles as well. The upgrade cost for the line was $190 million (the vehilces were $170 million).

With the recent reports that no extra vehicles or storage are needed for the Scarborough extension, with the cost still in the $3 billion range, essentially we've gone from a $170 million project to a $3 billion project.

That comparison is somewhat inaccurate, since the upgraded ICTS option ends at STC, whereas the subway option goes to Sheppard.

We should compare ICTS upgrade-only option to a subway that goes to STC only. Or, we can compare (ICTS + extension to Sheppard and Progress) to the full subway extension.

That comparison is somewhat inaccurate, since the upgraded ICTS option ends at STC, whereas the subway option goes to Sheppard.
True, though in terms of the hit to the taxpayer for this project, it's quite comparable.

We should compare ICTS upgrade-only option to a subway that goes to STC only. Or, we can compare (ICTS + extension to Sheppard and Progress) to the full subway extension.
The initial Metrolinx estimate was $2.9 to $3.0 billion for the McCowan alignment to Sheppard. But only $1.7 to $1.9 billion if it stopped at Scarborough Centre. So that final number is directly comparable to the $190 million.

Though we be getting some better estimates as the EA proceeds.

I wonder what contingencies will need to be made for vehicles if Bombardier isn't able to get them all done in time...

It hasn't been much of a problem with the TTC because they are replacing vehicles that can just be kept around longer...but not having vehicles at the end of a 10 year process and having the lines sit empty will be more than a black eye for bombardier it will be a disaster for metrolinx and the politicians...

If I was Metrolinx and Wynn I'd be asking for public confirmations that the vehicles are still expected to be on time, and putting the pressure on them...I'd also be very vocal if they start falling behind....and start making noise about looking elsewhere for smart-track and other large upcoming vehicle purchases if bombardier is unable to deliver...maybe even going so far as to try to attract other competitors to the province...

Well, the first warning signs of that will come in a year or two, when Waterloo is due to take delivery of the first 14 vehicles...

In the meantime, they're working on the headwalls for the Bathurst Station. See link.

map_bathurst_workzone_feb_2015.jpg

Attachments

• map_bathurst_workzone_feb_2015.jpg
    map_bathurst_workzone_feb_2015.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 1,224
They're pretty much doing construction work everywhere along central Eglinton these days, from Leaside to Yonge & Eg to Forest Hill, various construction sites closing down half the road scattered everywhere.

Back