News   Jul 24, 2024
 409     1 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 937     1 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 604     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Can someone re-quote the rough cost of stations here? I guess the key choices are an LRT-type station with no internal bus bays (riders come in from surface stops) and a regular TTC subway station with internal bus bays which I have in my head as $100-200M. Thanks, Ed

I noted this in the Sheppard East LRT construction thread - but it's relevant to this thread as well.

Looks like TTC recently re-issued the tender for the tunnel lining segments for Sheppard East and Eglinton - http://www2.ttc.ca/docs/Advertisments TC/T14TC10610.html

It originally closed before Christmas, and must been reopened in the last few days. It closed again on Friday.

Nice to see some signs of progress!

Perhaps I don't get something here ... how can a private company bid for those projects, after the current mayor publicly announced his intention not to proceed?

Because it's going to proceed, no matter what the mayor thinks... particularly the tunnelled bit of Eglinton, which is not a direct casualty of Ford's streetcar phobia.

I commented earlier that Metrolinx might be delaying to get enough contracts such that the "sunk costs" are too high to stop it. It looks like that might be at least partially true.

Because it's going to proceed, no matter what the mayor thinks... particularly the tunnelled bit of Eglinton, which is not a direct casualty of Ford's streetcar phobia.

I commented earlier that Metrolinx might be delaying to get enough contracts such that the "sunk costs" are too high to stop it. It looks like that might be at least partially true.

That's a valid opinion ... which you, or me, can hold and debate.

But as a private company's owner / board of directors ... would you invest any preparation costs, post a security with TTC, allocate staff etc, when the two main stakeholders - the mayor's office and the Metrolinx - are sending conflicting signals?

But as a private company's owner / board of directors ... would you invest any preparation costs, post a security with TTC, allocate staff etc, when the two main stakeholders - the mayor's office and the Metrolinx - are sending conflicting signals?
It's a pretty simple tender ... supply a part.

Besides, there's been little indication that the Eglinton RT will be cancelled. The TTC chair has been quite enthusiastic about the project.

It's a pretty simple tender ... supply a part.

Besides, there's been little indication that the Eglinton RT will be cancelled. The TTC chair has been quite enthusiastic about the project.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm disappointed the revised plans have yet to be completed so we have an idea of what's happening. The lack of news is not necessarily good news.

The tunnel being bored for the Eglinton LRT is a larger diameter than then Spadina subway I believe. The tunnelling machines have been purchased for the Eglinton LRT and the same machines were going to do the work on Sheppard under the 404. Considering the tunnel will be the width of the boring machines the placement of the tunnel is irrelevant to the need for tunnel liners. Even if the tunnel machines spend all their time on Sheppard they still need tunnel liners.

You may wish to read John Lorinc's piece in the Globe. It indicates she has been edged out of the discussions between the Fords and Metrolinx... -ed d.

Some major progress! Over $100-million of Eglinton and Sheppard East LRT contracts were awarded this week!

Looking at the list of contracts awarded by TTC recently. On Wednesday the designs for 5 of the 12 underground stations were awarded. Keele, Caledonia, Dufferin, Eglinton West (Allen), and Bathurst. Missing from the list is Oakwood. The design costs range from $4,000,000 for DUfferin and Bathurst to $10,000,000 for Eglinton West/Allen.

Also awarded was the supply of precast tunnel lining segments for both the Eglinton LRT and the Sheppard East LRT. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it's written in a way that they'll just end up using all of them on Eglinton.

Some major progress! Over $100-million of Eglinton and Sheppard East LRT contracts were awarded this week!

Looking at the list of contracts awarded by TTC recently. On Wednesday the designs for 5 of the 12 underground stations were awarded. Keele, Caledonia, Dufferin, Eglinton West (Allen), and Bathurst. Missing from the list is Oakwood. The design costs range from $4,000,000 for DUfferin and Bathurst to $10,000,000 for Eglinton West/Allen.

Also awarded was the supply of precast tunnel lining segments for both the Eglinton LRT and the Sheppard East LRT. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it's written in a way that they'll just end up using all of them on Eglinton.

That is good news! Although I'm surprised they did anything for Sheppard East. At least they're doing the grade-separation of the GO line there.

But I don't think they would have awarded specific contracts for construction of Eglinton stations if the project wasn't going ahead.

Although I'm surprised they did anything for Sheppard East. At least they're doing the grade-separation of the GO line there.
My guess is that was part of, and in the name of, the tender when it was first issued in the fall; but they did retender it briefly after it first closed, and I'm guessing the changed the quarntities and delivery time-frame, so they didn't have too many. They can always issue a new tender later on for more if they need.

But I don't think they would have awarded specific contracts for construction of Eglinton stations if the project wasn't going ahead.
Those aren't construction. Those are the contracts to design the stations.

It's interesting to see that the original tender for the Eglinton station designs had 7 stations listed: Caledonia, Dufferin, Oakwood, Bathurst, Chaplin, Keele and Eglinton West (see http://www2.ttc.ca/docs/Advertisments TC/P14TA10600.html)
The contracts awarded last week were only for 5 stations, Oakwood and Chaplin not included... seems like Rob Ford or one of his cronies is making changes. This makes the spacing more like the northern Yonge line... the distance between Bathurst and Avenue looks like ~1.5 km.

It's interesting to see that the original tender for the Eglinton station designs had 7 stations listed: Caledonia, Dufferin, Oakwood, Bathurst, Chaplin, Keele and Eglinton West (see http://www2.ttc.ca/docs/Advertisments TC/P14TA10600.html)
The contracts awarded last week were only for 5 stations, Oakwood and Chaplin not included... seems like Rob Ford or one of his cronies is making changes. This makes the spacing more like the northern Yonge line... the distance between Bathurst and Avenue looks like ~1.5 km.

Removing Chaplin would be a huge mistake. Aside from the spacing issue, Bathurst and Avenue are both at the top of hills. That's going to be inconvenient for the people living in between.

Removing Chaplin would be a huge mistake. Aside from the spacing issue, Bathurst and Avenue are both at the top of hills. That's going to be inconvenient for the people living in between.

Agreed. The central portion of Eglinton is a lot like Bloor-Danforth. And as a result, needs Bloor-Danforth like stop spacing.

Back