News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 409     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Umm, because there are so many hotels along Eglinton... the Union Pearson Air Link will provide the needed link. Not saying that the Eglinton line shouldn't go to the airport, just it is not a panacea. It is more to serve as a link for workers.

Imagine if the Eglinton subway was built instead of the Sheppard line? I highly doubt the Eglinton subway would be extended in both directions at the same time as the costs would be insane.... I would imagine in the 9 billion, maybe 10 billion range for the subway extended to PIA in the west and Kennedy in the east. I know some of you who are pro subway will hate me for saying this, but not building the Eglinton subway years ago has been a blessing in disguise. Why? Because at least now, Eglinton Ave from Kennedy to PIA will have seamless transit. I'd take that over the subway any day of the week.

If the Sheppard subway was never built we'd probably have seen a proposal for a Sheppard LRT line spanning from Downsview to Meadowvale.

Just how many riders are going from Kennedy to PIA? It would be a trip of nearly one hr. A cab would be faster in all times other than morning/evening rush.

Such a trip would require a Crosstown Go Train Route. And plus the Blue 22 would be better off with GO Train prices equivalent for that distance so like $10.

Last edited:
Just how many riders are going from Kennedy to PIA? It would be a trip of nearly one hr. A cab would be faster in all times other than morning/evening rush.

Probably not many, BUT at least the option would be there.

I mean if I lived at Kennedy, I would welcome something OTHER than the GO bus as a means to get to PIA. Assuming I can't cab it there or have someone drive me.

Probably not many, BUT at least the option would be there.

I mean if I lived at Kennedy, I would welcome something OTHER than the GO bus as a means to get to PIA. Assuming I can't cab it there or have someone drive me.

However, we've seen the problems that can arise from a single long route. Delays anywhere on the route cascade across the whole route causing delays acros the city. In fact the TTC just recently split the Queen streetcar after seeing the problems caused by having it as one mega route.

Now I realize that Eglinton will be in it's own ROW so the comparison isn't exactly the same, but still.

However, we've seen the problems that can arise from a single long route. Delays anywhere on the route cascade across the whole route causing delays acros the city. In fact the TTC just recently split the Queen streetcar after seeing the problems caused by having it as one mega route.

Now I realize that Eglinton will be in it's own ROW so the comparison isn't exactly the same, but still.

I totally get what you're saying. Transit cannot operate 100% all the time. Delays are a fact of life. Sure the Eglinton line will be long, but it will be smooth, unlike taking a crosstown bus. As for the Queen car, separating the line into two segments, didn't do much to help and we're back to the old routing.

I totally get what you're saying. Transit cannot operate 100% all the time. Delays are a fact of life. Sure the Eglinton line will be long, but it will be smooth, unlike taking a crosstown bus. As for the Queen car, separating the line into two segments, didn't do much to help and we're back to the old routing.

There is some evidence that the Queen Car trial run could have been much much better with cooperation from front-line staff.

Imagine if the Eglinton subway was built instead of the Sheppard line? I highly doubt the Eglinton subway would be extended in both directions at the same time as the costs would be insane.... I would imagine in the 9 billion, maybe 10 billion range for the subway extended to PIA in the west and Kennedy in the east. I know some of you who are pro subway will hate me for saying this, but not building the Eglinton subway years ago has been a blessing in disguise. Why? Because at least now, Eglinton Ave from Kennedy to PIA will have seamless transit. I'd take that over the subway any day of the week.

If the Sheppard subway was never built we'd probably have seen a proposal for a Sheppard LRT line spanning from Downsview to Meadowvale.

Um no, it has not been a blessing in disguise. If the $155 million per kilometre costing for subways at the time was invested along Eglinton, those same 6 kilometres of track used on Sheppard would instead stretch west from the Allen to Scarlett Road. By that point it'd be relatively easy to transition the line to run at-grade, trenched or elevated in the Richview corridor at prices no where near as high as the $304 million/km all underground TYSSE. It would have fulfilled the City's promise to expand subway service to York, Etobicoke and Mississauga; which were next in line to have recieved a subway after the Downsview extension. Then thanks to Ernie Eves we now have a stubway to nowhere that many argue should've been a tram line from day one. Oh, and somehow Vaughan's getting a line ahead of inner 416. These betrayals and the wishy-washiness of elected officials killed what could have been the start of a very important crosstown/cross-regional max capacity transport corridor. What we're getting instead is a 5kph speed upgrade on a bus route that wasn't all that slow to begin with outside of Old Toronto.

It would have been better to see that crosstown Sheppard LRT line come to fruition because it has the ridership to sustain that mode. It never really did for metro and that money could've gone to a much more deserving corridor that in the absence of metro is still densely populated, still a tourist and business draw, still the most continuous east-west street in the entire metro (not counting Steeles). Where Eglinton failed was the lack of a political champion and the newly instated amalgamation process that took away the boroughs clout.

If you want to talk about real present-day costing for a Eglinton subway that >5 billion dollar ECLRT could have built a subway line from PIA to the DVP at $217 million/kilometre. If you've ever been out to the Golden Mile you'd know there is not ready for light-rail yet but dedicated bus lanes would make the already fast Eglinton East bus route operate even faster. It's only the method of subway building that the TTC has chosen to turn to that's making these subway cost projections appear so astronomically high. Couple that with the general anti-subway bias that comprises the mindset of the present top TTC brass and you can start see why the City's hands are tied. People aren't stupid. They know the subway is the only rapid transit mode the TTC is capable of running properly. St Clair's already having problems and the TTC has been marketing it as exemplar of what's in store for the future Transit City lines. Are you a gambling man, Navigator?

Umm, because there are so many hotels along Eglinton... the Union Pearson Air Link will provide the needed link. Not saying that the Eglinton line shouldn't go to the airport, just it is not a panacea. It is more to serve as a link for workers.

Actually following Network 2011, an Eglinton West line would have departed the Eglinton corridor after Martin Grove then proceed through the hydro corridor to Dixon with stops near the hotel clusters. I still think the subway is of limitless benefit not only to area workers but to residents wanting to go to the airport on the cheap. Got $22 bucks to give to UPAL or upto $50 to a cab driver? Got the patience to laywait the 192 bus? Ridership demand comes in many shapes and sizes, many clientele and we cannot be classist in who deserves what method of travel. Everyone in essence is a VIP and should be treated that way. And if ever the TTC considered interlining, a potential Eglinton subway could become practically useful to a majority of 416ers for trips heading into the airport, Malton or Mississauga.

I was at the SRT and Kennedy Station Improvements meeting on Monday the 8th of March and the showed the Eglinton Crosstown LRT hooking up at Kennedy Station at the Subway level. I thought it would make more sense to have the ECLRT platform at the concourse level that way riders could just go up one level to the buses or down one level to the subway or the Scarborough Malvern LRT (and across the same concourse level to the new SRT (LRT)). I am glad Kennedy Station is finally getting some investment to improve, it has the potential of being such a well designed hub with so many transit links feeding it.

The rationale for putting the RT at the concourse level instead of Eglinton is because people coming eastbound into the station along Eglinton are probably not going to board the subway to head back west. The station is being optimized to make RT-to-subway and RT-to-Eglinton transfers easiest.

Back