News   Oct 02, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 485     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 493     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Took the GO train past Mt. Dennis today. Lots of activity. I saw LRVs in the yard with "Eglinton" on the front sign. The bus terminal, Kodak building, and station platform had all their lights on, and there was an LRV in the station, along with a group of people on the platform. Honestly, the station looked like it was in operation.
Metrolinx is salty about the criticism so they're just keeping the line for their own use

Metrolinx is salty about the criticism so they're just keeping the line for their own use

Reminds me of in 2005 I was living on Dundas Street and once was walking with a friend and heard from a grate on the sidewalk what honestly sounded like a subway under the road. We would joke from then on that there was a secret subway line under Dundas just for VIP people.

Took the GO train past Mt. Dennis today. Lots of activity. I saw LRVs in the yard with "Eglinton" on the front sign. The bus terminal, Kodak building, and station platform had all their lights on, and there was an LRV in the station, along with a group of people on the platform. Honestly, the station looked like it was in operation.
If they start trial operation, it does look like it's in operation.

And short-turning already! :)

Another shot of the line running but not running:
20240927_073548_HDR~2.jpg

Does anyone believe Mlinx are stalling opening the Eglinton LRT to line up with the opening of the Finch LRT? From an operational standpoint, might make more sense to redo all system maps in one shot as opposed to multiple updates over a 6 - 12 month period.

Does anyone believe Mlinx are stalling opening the Eglinton LRT to line up with the opening of the Finch LRT? From an operational standpoint, might make more sense to redo all system maps in one shot as opposed to multiple updates over a 6 - 12 month period.

Seems to be a silly reason to not open a multi billion dollar transit project just to wait for another project to be completed. We should have the maps printed and set up with both the Finch and Crosstown LRT lines marked with a sticker over the Finch LRT line stating "Opens 2025".

TTC can go to the maps and remove these stickers whenever Finch LRT actually opens! Also, gives the politicians 2 ribbon cutting ceremonies with a few months between them instead of a few days between them.

They are starting to clear the holding area in the back parking lot on the east side of Golden Mile Mall. Used to be filled with equipment and some parking for workers, but it is mostly empty now.

Also a LOT more trains these days. Like, almost Line 1 Subway level of frequency (hopefully thats a sign of the frequency levels to expect when its open....)

Seems to be a silly reason to not open a multi billion dollar transit project just to wait for another project to be completed. We should have the maps printed and set up with both the Finch and Crosstown LRT lines marked with a sticker over the Finch LRT line stating "Opens 2025".

TTC can go to the maps and remove these stickers whenever Finch LRT actually opens! Also, gives the politicians 2 ribbon cutting ceremonies with a few months between them instead of a few days between them.
I guess Doug Ford wants to time it with the election, and blame the delays on the Liberal.

Noob question here, why cant they just open it in phases? Or sections at a time so people can use the system?
I'll bite cause its been discussed ad nauseam. The general consensus could be that it would have to designed and built in, as a multi stage process, at the beginning so the contracts with all parties can describe the specific design intent. This project was created as deliverable to a public agency through a P3 project and was designed and built as an entire package with handover back to the public agency to happen upon substantial completion. (or in this case every single T crossed and i dotted)

It seems to me like a good idea, but again, it would have to something you plan at the start. You would probably still want to tunnel entire sections at a time though for cost reasons. It'd be an interesting challenge and might be easier to control costs with.

There have been some examples of this happening around the world recently. Montreal's REM is open with much wider service still to be opened and London's Elizabeth Line opened missing out an incomplete station for a while.

Noob question here, why cant they just open it in phases? Or sections at a time so people can use the system?
Its been talked about before. There are a few reasons. The biggest is simply how the construction contract was signed. Every single thing on that contract has to be done before payment can be released.

I was out about a week ago, Mount Dennis undergoing a complete redo of the west entrance landscaping for some reason, although access is still there. Forest Hill, south entrance is part of a new condo and that's still finishing and needs some work. The rest are just fenced off and ready for service. I did see trains running entering the tunnel at Mount Dennis and exiting the tunnel at Leslie!

I was out about a week ago, Mount Dennis undergoing a complete redo of the west entrance landscaping for some reason, although access is still there. Forest Hill, south entrance is part of a new condo and that's still finishing and needs some work. The rest are just fenced off and ready for service. I did see trains running entering the tunnel at Mount Dennis and exiting the tunnel at Leslie!
The secondary entrance (NW corner) of Leaside station has scaffolding in the stairwell. Photo from last week, but was still there this morning
1000023239.jpg

Back