1K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 528     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Member 'Turtle' had this to say over at CPTDB:

1723826436223.png

I'm not familiar w/this member, but I imagine @smallspy is, so I can't speak to what weighting to afford the above.

View attachment 588710

I'm not familiar w/this member, but I imagine @smallspy is, so I can't speak to what weighting to afford the above.
I do recall 3 months of training being the number quoted. Also phils "we will give an exact date 3 months before it will open" line leads that to be the absolute latest.
What happens between end of training and opening day I dunno

I do recall 3 months of training being the number quoted. Also phils "we will give an exact date 3 months before it will open" line leads that to be the absolute latest.
What happens between end of training and opening day I dunno
Training is about a month for the operators - the same as subway.

The "3 month" period that people keep quoting is actually meant to mean that the service will operate in its entirety but with no passengers for 2 TTC board periods prior to revenue service beginning. Each board period is usually 6 weeks, so two of them back-to-back is about 3 months - but it may not necessarily be. There will be at least one 8 week board period in 2025.

Dan

^ I hope during those three months that they put out an offer for volunteers to test the system for a day. I'd do it as I'm sure several others here would.

I dearly hope this is not true! It's a transit line, not a military complex.
While you are right, this does jive with Metrolinx's internal communications to their employees and their social media policy.

I have a friend who is going through the training now, and another who is set to start in a couple of weeks. I'll ask them what they've heard.

Dan

Edit: I should add that the TTC's own employee social media policy is also quite restrictive. Many large organizations take this kind of thing very, very seriously, and will mete out punishment if they feel that what is posted by the employee is particularly egregious.

I saw several 2-car trains in training in Scarborough today (Sunday), with the operator in the cab and the instructor just outside of it, similar to TTC streetcar divisional training. That I saw three trains on Eglinton all in training on a Sunday appears to be some good news.
Expect to see much more of this in the coming weeks. If I recall correctly next board period starts in just 2 weeks on Sept 1st

View attachment 588710

So, an update to this......

First off, training has only been going on for one week so far, with 2 classes - a morning class, and an evening class. Several people have already dropped out or have failed the various tests, as to be expected.

One of the classes has been read the proverbial riot act when it comes to social media postings. The other has not, and has been kindly asked to refrain with nothing more said or implied.

Dan

So, an update to this......

First off, training has only been going on for one week so far, with 2 classes - a morning class, and an evening class. Several people have already dropped out or have failed the various tests, as to be expected.

One of the classes has been read the proverbial riot act when it comes to social media postings. The other has not, and has been kindly asked to refrain with nothing more said or implied.

Dan
are theese exclusively senior ttc operators?
Cant imagine operation would that much more complex than systems the ttc uses

They are people who signed up for it, based on seniority. I'm pretty sure some people are happy with driving their buses for the last 30 years. Others wanted to get into subways but positions aren't available. This opened up a couple years ago for sign ups and the selected ones are starting to train now.

There are a variety of factors that are used to figure out who is allocated to which class, but seniority is one of them, yes. But they are not exclusively the most senior.

It's more complex than anything that operates on the surface system, which is why it's been allocated a 30 day schedule.

Perhaps more importantly for those operators coming over from subway, all of the terminology is different even if the system or effect is the same. For those transferring from other surface modes, this is considered all-new.

Dan

There are a variety of factors that are used to figure out who is allocated to which class, but seniority is one of them, yes. But they are not exclusively the most senior.

It's more complex than anything that operates on the surface system, which is why it's been allocated a 30 day schedule.

Perhaps more importantly for those operators coming over from subway, all of the terminology is different even if the system or effect is the same. For those transferring from other surface modes, this is considered all-new.

Dan
Not saying I doubt you or that you're wrong but wouldn't any streetcar operators have a leg up on the competition considering their prior experience with operating LRV's on the road as well as operating Flexity LRV's (not saying the Outlooks and Freedoms are the exact same but they are from the same family). Obviously they still need to go through the same training course as everyone else but I would assume they would at the very least have an easier time getting the hang of things on the EC and FW than someone who is coming over from the bus or even subway divisions.

Back