News   Jul 09, 2024
 804     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 614     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I shudder to think of the logistics for the Queen, Osgoode, and Pape Stations construction needed for the Ontario/Relief Line. Hopefully, the Science Centre Station logistics for the Ontario/Relief Line has already been done for the station box. We'll see a smaller problem with the Finch West Station for the Finch West LRT... hopefully.
For science centre hopefully the logistics will be somewhat simpler as its planned to be overhead. They need to take a page off of Vancouver for their station building above grade

Overhead at Science Centre is going to be a disaster of a transfer. But I guess that's what cost-cutting done by people who don't use transit gets us.
Well in a way it would be better than at Kennedy line 2/line3 since capacity won't be at a full fledged metro levels. It would be far too expensive and prohibitively delayed to redesign the existing station box for a lowe part. Honestly, it could be worse. In Taipei, there's a transfer for 2 lines that are separated but several up and down stairs for 400+m so we honestly don't have much to complain about as long as its built within our generation.

That was considered but traffic congestion at that intersection was considered too much for deliveries and dirt removal. They kept most of the logistics bits (tunnel liner deliveries, worker access, soil removal) as far away from Yonge by boring toward Yonge.
It had to be done. By doing it this late, they only find out of problems recently. They could have staged the station construction earlier and have it finish by now. People will still be disrupted by a few years.

It had to be done. By doing it this late, they only find out of problems recently. They could have staged the station construction earlier and have it finish by now. People will still be disrupted by a few years.

It boggles my mind how this was not foreseen. Given the age of the station and the engineering of the time you think that they would have planned for this.

Yes there would have been problems with the disposition of soil but that pales in comparison to what they are experiencing now.

Overhead at Science Centre is going to be a disaster of a transfer. But I guess that's what cost-cutting done by people who don't use transit gets us.
Imagine how stupid government would look if they dug up Don Mills/Eglinton for 5 years to build a ECLRT station, and then did the same 5 years later to build the Don Mills Line.
It was obvious that up until 3 or 4 years ago - the geniuses who were planning transit in Toronto figured that the Don Mills Line up to Eglinton would be at least a generation or two in the future.

It boggles my mind how this was not foreseen. Given the age of the station and the engineering of the time you think that they would have planned for this.

Yes there would have been problems with the disposition of soil but that pales in comparison to what they are experiencing now.
Even with the engineering and technology today, this could still happen to a modern station 50 years down the road. Whoever approved that construction schedule is outright brainless and definitely inexperienced.

Imagine how stupid government would look if they dug up Don Mills/Eglinton for 5 years to build a ECLRT station, and then did the same 5 years later to build the Don Mills Line.
It was obvious that up until 3 or 4 years ago - the geniuses who were planning transit in Toronto figured that the Don Mills Line up to Eglinton would be at least a generation or two in the future.
They never even bothered to incorporate a future RL station at Eglinton/Don Mills into their design for ECLRT.

At least with Finch West they designed the station in mind for the FWLRT.

They never even bothered to incorporate a future RL station at Eglinton/Don Mills into their design for ECLRT.

Why would they??? Up until the shock announcement it's been to pape station for the longest of times. I don't think they ever seriously envisioned going up to eglinton on that alignment

To be honest, I dont really fault them for not doing it because at the rate transit plans change in this province, no one really knows what the hell is going to be built at that intersection.

We talk about a subway being built there but it could very well be an LRT, a monorail, BRT, a hyperloop, pixie dust, etc...

They could at least put in a partial station box for ANY subway, light rail, or storage at Science Centre. Go with the maximum dimensions for all, and fill in the parts not needed when the time comes. Don't need to put in support pillars if they already did that now.

In Taipei, there's a transfer for 2 lines that are separated but several up and down stairs for 400+m so we honestly don't have much to complain about as long as its built within our generation.
Oh man transfering at that station felt like eternity, fortunately there are plenty of escalators. I can still remember the soreness of my thighs after rushing up those stairs to catch the subway to school.

Why would they??? Up until the shock announcement it's been to pape station for the longest of times. I don't think they ever seriously envisioned going up to eglinton on that alignment

The plan for up to even Don Mills and Sheppard has been around since at least 2012 in Metrolinx documentation.

However thats still after the Eglinton Crosstown design was finalized. And as ive said before, fear over modifying the Eglinton plans while Rob Ford was in power was a real concern. Because city council just reversed his decision to bury all of the Crosstown east section, and opening that file again would allow for further meddling. Thats why we got the plan at Laid the way it is now, there were better alternatives but no one wanted to open fresh wounds.

Back