News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 728     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Tell that to anyone 40 years+ older in Toronto.

The looks on their faces when I tell them I have a masters degree from Ryerson... priceless.

That's why it's awesome speaking with Toronto youth: Ask them about Ryerson and there's very often no awareness of its previous reputation. They see it as a respected, engaged, modern institution with some world class programs (all of which is true).

That's why it's awesome speaking with Toronto youth: Ask them about Ryerson and there's very often no awareness of its previous reputation. They see it as a respected, engaged, modern institution with some world class programs (all of which is true).
I don't think that's actually true. from most of the youth I know applying for UNI UofT is #1 York is #2 and Ryerson is #3. some people don't even apply to UofT because they don't think theres even a chance so why bother. anyways we are way off track with naming lines and stops vs talking anything remotely close to Eglinton Crosstown.

I don't think that's actually true. from most of the youth I know applying for UNI UofT is #1 York is #2 and Ryerson is #3. some people don't even apply to UofT because they don't think theres even a chance so why bother. anyways we are way off track with naming lines and stops vs talking anything remotely close to Eglinton Crosstown.

I imagine it entirely depends on what you're applying for. If you're anywhere in Canada and are interested in Radio & TV, journalism, or urban geography, for instance, you're likely going to have Ryerson atop your list. By the same measure, obviously, if you're applying to Rotman or Schulich, then you're gonna have one of those ahead of Ryerson.

I imagine it entirely depends on what you're applying for. If you're anywhere in Canada and are interested in Radio & TV, journalism, or urban geography, for instance, you're likely going to have Ryerson atop your list. By the same measure, obviously, if you're applying to Rotman or Schulich, then you're gonna have one of those ahead of Ryerson.

Relevant to UT, Ryerson has the only accredited undergraduate Urban Planning program in the city (caveat, I'm a graduate of it). You can't get that at U of T or York.

Ryerson really decided to focus on specific programs, perhaps ones they thought the bigger universities weren't specializing in. They've built a pretty solid reputation in those programs (like Planning, Journalism, Interior Design... and whatever else, not entirely sure.)

An example of this is Ryerson's Digital Media Zone (DMZ) which is regarded as the best university-based business incubator in North America and the #5 best in the world.

York has a pretty lowly reputation these days among youth. I would swap it with Ryerson, though I am biased.

Relevant to UT, Ryerson has the only accredited undergraduate Urban Planning program in the city (caveat, I'm a graduate of it). You can't get that at U of T or York....

Did you compete in the Town Planning event at the Olympics?

See link.

Going For the Gold: When Town Planning Was an Olympic Competition
In the first half of the 20th century, the Olympic games actually had a medal competition for town planning.

(As an amateur of course.)

Relevant to UT, Ryerson has the only accredited undergraduate Urban Planning program in the city (caveat, I'm a graduate of it). You can't get that at U of T or York.

Ryerson really decided to focus on specific programs, perhaps ones they thought the bigger universities weren't specializing in. They've built a pretty solid reputation in those programs (like Planning, Journalism, Interior Design... and whatever else, not entirely sure.)

Don't forget the Business Technology Management program, which other universities are only now getting on board with.

Ryerson was never a community college. It was a degree-granting Polytechnic Institute before it became a full-fledged university. Polytechnics - and there are many in North America, sometimes called "Institutes of Technology - are not, and never were, the same things as community colleges, like Sheridan, Humber, and Seneca.

I stand corrected.

The boring tracker has not been updated in more than two weeks. At least one of those boring machines about be at the extraction point now, assuming they haven't stopped boring.

Ryerson was never a community college. It was a degree-granting Polytechnic Institute before it became a full-fledged university. Polytechnics - and there are many in North America, sometimes called "Institutes of Technology - are not, and never were, the same things as community colleges, like Sheridan, Humber, and Seneca.

Many universities stateside that are polytechnics have started off as not especially prestigious, but have quickly made a name for themselves. For example, Virginia Tech went from a small, practically focused tech school to a leading, world-class research powerhouse in the 1970s, expanding the "Polytechnic Institute" part of its name to include "Polytechnic Institute and State University".

Then there are the cases where the real famous polytechnics, MIT and CalTech, caught up in reputation (and in some rankings some years, or by certain criteria even surpassed) old traditional Ivy League schools, like Harvard, which people long thought that mere tech schools would not have been able to compete with.

In fact, the first principal of Ryerson, Howard Kerr, was inspired by MIT's story and in the 1940s wanted for the school to become an MIT for Canada in the upcoming century.

From Wikipedia,

" His vision of what these institutions would do was broader than what others were suggesting. In 1943, he visited the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and was convinced that Canada could develop its own MIT over a period of one hundred years
Only the Toronto retraining centre, which became the Ryerson Institute of Technology in 1948, would become a multi-program campus, Kerr’s future MIT of Canada. This vision is reflected in Ryerson's Motto and its mission statement.
[14]

It's not the 2040s yet, but who knows...

Last edited:
This will soon be a foot note in TTC History pages Once work starts to bring the TBM's to the surface, as well building the Yonge Station.

Once that is done, the site will be redevelop with the new bus terminal under it.

Not sure if there is a final agreement to have TTC Yonge Platform extended north of the current location to allow better transfer between the 2 lines. Not going to be cheap to do.
28693730130_3fab7d8ce6_h.jpg

The boring tracker has not been updated in more than two weeks. At least one of those boring machines about be at the extraction point now, assuming they haven't stopped boring.

Update: Tunnel boring for Eglinton Line is now complete, according to Cllr. Mihevic's Twitter. The boring machines are at Yonge Street.

(Twitter is down, so no link for now)

Update: Tunnel boring for Eglinton Line is now complete, according to Cllr. Mihevic's Twitter. The boring machines are at Yonge Street.

(Twitter is down, so no link for now)

Amazing!

Now Tory just needs to throw money at the project to speed up construction like he did for the Gardiner!

Back