759     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 911     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 637     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Carried over from the SmartTrack thread:

desismileys_3267.gif

I'd even be OK with surface LRT if the stop spacing is wide enough. For suburban arterial LRT, 1km spacing is more than appropriate, 500m is overkill.

Now, what should the Eglinton LRT be extended from the airport to Renforth Gateway?

Since they'll be the same gauge (yes, the Flexity Swifts being delivered are standard gauge vehicles), my preference is to extend the UPX spur South to connect with it and run Eglinton LRVs on it all the way to the Kitchener Line to intersect with a High Speed Rail station around Highway 427.

Now, how low-floor LRVs are supposed to work with a high-level platform at Pearson without significant reconstruction? With the current Terminal 1 station layout, is a southern extension of UPX viaduct even physically possible, let alone financially reasonable? I have no idea. This could just be throwing more money at a sunk cost fallacy.

I guess having LRT extended to the airport would't be that bad of an option, but it might not be necessary given that most people coming from Toronto will be on RER and most people coming from Mississauga will already be on a bus. Maybe just have a free transfer at Renforth to a shuttle bus? Extend the LINK train? Convert the LINK to LRT?

(might be good to copy this discussion to the Eglinton Crosstown Thread)

Back on topic; low-floor or high-floor EMU vehicles for GO RER/SmartTrack? I like the idea of switching to high-floors, but GO's entire system is low-floor and would require some conversion. High-floors are better for tunnels, but are there even going to be that many station tunnels to begin with?

They could always continue the Eglinton Crosstown straight across Eglinton into Mississauga and convert the Mississauga Transitway into a mixed bus/LRT operations right-of-way; and have SmartTrack continue northwest through the rail corridor to Pearson via the UPX spur and essentially takeover UPX's role in providing rapid transit between Union and Pearson, only with more stops en route. This presupposes that DMU or electric trains could be utilized along the entire SmartTrack route. Also the LINK train could be extended to Renforth Gateway with intermediate stops at Carlingview and Convair eliminating the need for branched service on the Crosstown Line. Something like this:

Last edited:
Carried over from the SmartTrack thread:

Wow!

I'd be quite pleased if that's what we turned out with. The only key things missing that I had on my fantasy map are the BRT on Highway 27/427/Browns Line and a GO station at 401/Islington in place of Kipling.

What was the ridership numbers for east of don mills versus the potential ridership numbers west of mount dennis?

West of Mt. Dennis peak AM point/hour is 3,500.

East of Don Mills peak AM point/hour is 4,000.

Source

Thanks for linking to the source; the background reports are always fascinating to read. Just wish the combination of internet explorer and my work's internet filter would let me read them

Can the LRT be upgraded in the tunneled portion in order to accept higher ridership numbers like the LRT in Ottawa can?

Yes. Eglinton Line is designed with a capacity of 15,000 persons. On opening day the line will be using trains of either one or two cars in length (I'm not sure which one). Up to three cars can be used without any infrastructure upgrades, providing a capacity of 15,000 persons, approximately three times of the expected 2031 ridership. If usage on the line exceeds 15,000 persons, stations can be expanded to accept additional cars, or the light rail system can be upgraded to heavy rail. Upgrading to heavy rail would result in a configuration similar to Sheppard Line (4 car T1 train sets).

For reference, Yonge-University Line and Bloor-Danforth Line have capacity for approximately 30,000 persons.

Last edited:
Yes. Eglinton Line is designed with a capacity of 15,000 persons. On opening day the line will be using trains of either one or two cars in length (I'm not sure which one). Up to three cars can be used without any infrastructure upgrades, providing a capacity of 15,000 persons, approximately three times of the expected 2031 ridership. If usage on the line exceeds 15,000 persons, stations can be expanded to accept additional cars, or the light rail system can be upgraded to heavy rail. Upgrading to heavy rail would result in a configuration similar to Sheppard Line (4 car T1 train sets).

For reference, Yonge-University Line and Bloor-Danforth Line have capacity for approximately 30,000 persons.

A heavy-rail upgrade would be difficult and expensive unless that option is selected before stations are designed/constructed. You would be talking about a complete closure of the line and reconstruction of the platform level of all the stations (platform heights, stairs, escalators, elevators, etc.). Safe to say if it says LRT (which I see no reason it wont) it will always be LRT.

We will see once Eglinton opens but I am confident Eglinton will exceed ridership projections. I don't think the EAs took into account the massive development that would take place along the Eglinton line and already fudged the numbers when it comes to commuting pattern changes in order to justify LRT over heavy rail.

I wouldn't be shocked to live to see debates in ~2060 about what to do with the overcrowded Crosstown. Wouldn't be surprised if future crosstown routes on Lawrence and York Mills to take the pressure off of Eglinton would be considered by then.

Anyway, just some future speculating. :p

We will see once Eglinton opens but I am confident Eglinton will exceed ridership projections. I don't think the EAs took into account the massive development that would take place along the Eglinton line and already fudged the numbers when it comes to commuting pattern changes in order to justify LRT over heavy rail.

I wouldn't be shocked to live to see debates in ~2060 about what to do with the overcrowded Crosstown. Wouldn't be surprised if future crosstown routes on Lawrence and York Mills to take the pressure off of Eglinton would be considered by then.

Anyway, just some future speculating. :p

45 years from now we might need to build a parallel route a few km away? The horror!

West of Mt. Dennis peak AM point/hour is 3,500.

East of Don Mills peak AM point/hour is 4,000.
True, though it did assume that the Crosstown would be built all the way to Pearson. West of Jane though, the AM peak was only 2,300; 1,700 west of Kipling, and only 800 west of Renforth (with only 400 eastbound departing Renforth). Interestingly, by the time you get to Royal York, there's a many heading west as east.

Meanwhile while east of Don Mills was 4,000, it was still 3,000 east of Victoria Park, and 2,700 departing Kennedy station.

Back