News   Jul 17, 2024
 495     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 619     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

We had the opportunity to build subways years agao and we didn't David Miller chose LRT because we didn't have any money.
No money?? He had $8 billion to spend on any transit projects he wanted. Toronto has never had that luxury before or since.

Miller refused to consider subways, except for, you know, the TYSSE.
I think he was at best neutral on Spadina. In any case I don't think he had much choice once the province basically took control of that project.

Miller refused to consider subways, except for, you know, the TYSSE.

Which is a vaughan subway/

No money?? He had $8 billion to spend on any transit projects he wanted. Toronto has never had that luxury before or since.

I think he was at best neutral on Spadina. In any case I don't think he had much choice once the province basically took control of that project.

Have you even managed a chequebook before? 8 billion gets as the DRL, and that's all. Transit city was a good plan which covered most of the city. Enough of you saying the same thing in every single post and blaming just him for something both the province and city were responsible for.

The $8 Billion has always been controlled by the province. The city was welcome to provide its input, but the province has always had the final say. It is not like a big pile of cash that the city could spend on anything it liked.

That Miller raised taxes by about 1% to pay for.
Toronto's share of the Spadina extension is only $526 million. Oh no! My $2,000 a year City tax bill goes up to $2,020. That's $20 extra a year. A one-time increase.

Let's put this in perspective. A monthly TTC pass has gone up by $35 a year since Miller was elected. That's $420 a year. A 35% increase!

The $8 Billion has always been controlled by the province. The city was welcome to provide its input, but the province has always had the final say. It is not like a big pile of cash that the city could spend on anything it liked.

Still, it's hard to believe that the province would have thought that the DRL was a bad idea

Still, it's hard to believe that the province would have thought that the DRL was a bad idea
They never thought it was a bad idea. Within weeks of funding the Eglinton line they announced the DRL would be part of the Big Move.

They just felt Eglinton was a first priority. It was also a lot close to being shovel-ready. And a few LRT lines give you a much bigger bang for your buck.

They never thought it was a bad idea. Within weeks of funding the Eglinton line they announced the DRL would be part of the Big Move.

They just felt Eglinton was a first priority. It was also a lot close to being shovel-ready. And a few LRT lines give you a much bigger bang for your buck.

If done right... Should have went to the airport right away. There lies your huge ridership boost for Eglinton. People coming from North of Eglinton and East of McCowan would take this line instead of going all the way to Bloor with express or paying more money for the new UP line.

Last edited:
If done right...
If done right. The Finch LRT is probably a better example. Almost entirely all at surface, with ridership that clearly isn't in subway range, but requires at a minimum a dedicated ROW of some kind.

Eglinton bang-for-buck is of course on the subway scale, given the costs are very similar for tunnels and stations, due to the streetscape.

If done right. The Finch LRT is probably a better example. Almost entirely all at surface, with ridership that clearly isn't in subway range, but requires at a minimum a dedicated ROW of some kind.

Eglinton bang-for-buck is of course on the subway scale, given the costs are very similar for tunnels and stations, due to the streetscape.

I agree. Finch is perfect the way it's planned and very much needed.

Eglinton is fine the way it is, just hoping that more effort will be taken to ensure the speed and reliability of the eastern stretch.

Sheppard is really the line that I disagree with more. That billion could finish Eglinton to the airport and extend Finch LRT to Yonge instead.

Regarding a connection between the Eg-Crosstown LRT and the UP Express, after some quick reading it seems like the connection will be possible at Mt Dennis station and they are considering it, but it hasn't been committed to yet.

Still, it's difficult to imagine that they won't do it. I guess the main concern is that Weston station is close by.

Sheppard is really the line that I disagree with more. That billion could finish Eglinton to the airport and extend Finch LRT to Yonge instead.
Really need to do both. Though something has to happen to Sheppard. Even a 2-station extension to Victoria Park to get it past 404 would cost at least $0.75 billion or so in $2010. Might as well spend the thing, and get some RT into Scarborough in addition to the other line.

Back