News   Aug 16, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 945     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 619     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Just reading through these comments and this one stood out.....aren't you saying, then, that cars and their passengers are an essential source of business for the businesses on this stretch? Or is the hope that these businesses will be replaced with less car reliant uses?

well i think the cars are from the immediate neighbourhood so if there wasnt as many than im sure the people would adapt. But as a pedestrian on eglinton it is often quite noisy because people drive on the street pretty fast. If an area is more aesthetically pleasant people will walk farther. Also there are no bike lanes currently and it feels very unsafe riding in the traffic rushing for the allen.

Yes the parking is important to some businesses. But Eglinton connects still maintains some parking. Im happy a bike shop opened by my house recently.

well i think the cars are from the immediate neighbourhood so if there wasnt as many than im sure the people would adapt. But as a pedestrian on eglinton it is often quite noisy because people drive on the street pretty fast. If an area is more aesthetically pleasant people will walk farther. Also there are no bike lanes currently and it feels very unsafe riding in the traffic rushing for the allen.

Yes the parking is important to some businesses. But Eglinton connects still maintains some parking. Im happy a bike shop opened by my house recently.

I am still not seeing the connection to the original statement I responded too.....so the restaurants that geared to an older demographic or dressed up people that tend to drive will see their customers walk or cycle if the area was more aesthetically pleasing?

I am still not seeing the connection to the original statement I responded too.....so the restaurants that geared to an older demographic or dressed up people that tend to drive will see their customers walk or cycle if the area was more aesthetically pleasing?

The older demographic wont but they will continue to have parking... My wife and my friends all between 35-50 would walk or bike from our houses. Eglinton connects works because it gives everyone a option where as today it really is a street designed primarily for the car, the pedestrian second and the cyclist a distant third. Eglinton connects puts equal emphasis across all three categories. And to be clear I drive everyday so Im not anti car. In fact I love my car.

Spider, when was the last time you walked around Y&E? It's PACKED during rush hour as everyone tries to get on the subway and it's very busy all weekend. Lots of pedestrians as lots of condos/apartment blocks in all directions. If you are on a bike, what with the buses entering the terminal, Yonge and Eglinton currently taking your life in your hands. Much better to use Duplex N/S and Chaplin/Davisville E/W. You'll see more bikes take Eglinton when you have a 50/50 chance of not dying crossing the intersection.

Spot on dude spot on. Anybody who has been to Yonge Eg knows it is filled with pedestrians.

The older demographic wont but they will continue to have parking... My wife and my friends all between 35-50 would walk or bike from our houses. Eglinton connects works because it gives everyone a option where as today it really is a street designed primarily for the car, the pedestrian second and the cyclist a distant third. Eglinton connects puts equal emphasis across all three categories. And to be clear I drive everyday so Im not anti car. In fact I love my car.

I would also like to clarify that I'm not an "anti-car nut" as andrewpmk puts it.

I own a car and drive it regularly, often on Eglinton, I also walk daily on Eglinton as well.

Do you guys live in homes or apartments?

I live in a house

The vast majority of people near Yonge/Eglinton live in apartnents. The cost of a house there is extremely high.

I just think that if you build thousands of new condo units there the light rail will be really overcrowded and the traffic will be really bad, particularly if you do something absurd like narrowing a major road to 1 lane each way. I think that the Eglinton LRT will be a major fiasco come 2020 or so when it turns out to be as overcrowded as the Tokyo subway.

The vast majority of people near Yonge/Eglinton live in apartnents. The cost of a house there is extremely high.

I just think that if you build thousands of new condo units there the light rail will be really overcrowded and the traffic will be really bad, particularly if you do something absurd like narrowing a major road to 1 lane each way. I think that the Eglinton LRT will be a major fiasco come 2020 or so when it turns out to be as overcrowded as the Tokyo subway.

therefore dont build bike lanes and dont make the area more pedestrian friendly?????????

I'll take an overhwhelming success over another sheppard line any day of the week. If you're right it will be a revenue generating line as well. I'm more worried about the added stress on the Yonge line because of the condos and crosstown, than anything else.

Also, if these condo people use the crosstown, won't they be going against rush hour traffic (the empty trains) on the crosstown? My general thinking is everyone is trying to get to Yonge in the morning.

Last edited:
I live in a house

I've lived in an apartment building and now live in a condo building.

Most of my friends live in houses in the neighborhood. Our experiences with transportation usages are pretty much identical.
I'm just trying to figure this out because I was thinking some people have cars but live in apartments in condos in the area. That is what makes Yonge - Eglinton unique from the outer burbs or downtown, people can walk, use transit or bike so Eglinton connects was the correct solution. Sixrings you live a little west so it's a bit different but I'm guessing you guys think Eglinton could still be more urban?

I'm just trying to figure this out because I was thinking some people have cars but live in apartments in condos in the area. That is what makes Yonge - Eglinton unique from the outer burbs or downtown, people can walk, use transit or bike so Eglinton connects was the correct solution. Sixrings you live a little west so it's a bit different but I'm guessing you guys think Eglinton could still be more urban?

There are lots of apartments, some new condos, but other areas near by are mainly houses. Many areas with houses are pretty walkable, they have restaurants day to day stores/schools etc within walking distance.

Many drive, but walking and transit modal share is probably much higher than most suburban areas. I think it's similar in character to Bloor-West/High Park.

I would assume those going downtown are more likely to take transit or bike, and those going elsewhere in the GTA are more likely to drive. Many day to day trips are walking.

It will intensify due to condo growth & the new transit line.

There are lots of apartments, some new condos, but other areas near by are mainly houses. Many areas with houses are pretty walkable, they have restaurants day to day stores/schools etc within walking distance.

Many drive, but walking and transit modal share is probably much higher than most suburban areas. I think it's similar in character to Bloor-West/High Park.

I would assume those going downtown are more likely to take transit or bike, and those going elsewhere in the GTA are more likely to drive. Many day to day trips are walking.

It will intensify due to condo growth & the new transit line.

Thanks for the info. My next question is why is ridership projections for the the crosstown so low? Even with the line ending at Mt Dennis(which you know I don't agree with :) ) and Kennedy I would have though the line would have higher ridership then Bloor.

Spider, when was the last time you walked around Y&E? It's PACKED during rush hour as everyone tries to get on the subway and it's very busy all weekend. Lots of pedestrians as lots of condos/apartment blocks in all directions. If you are on a bike, what with the buses entering the terminal, Yonge and Eglinton currently taking your life in your hands. Much better to use Duplex N/S and Chaplin/Davisville E/W. You'll see more bikes take Eglinton when you have a 50/50 chance of not dying crossing the intersection.
I worked for 5 years at Y & E around 1980 and took the subway, too long ago to use as evidence here but I am not totally unfamiliar with the area. My eyesight is as good when I am on foot as it is when behind a windshield, as is yours I am sure.
I googled Chaplin and Davisville expecting to see cyclists afraid to use Eglinton, care to guess how many cyclists showed up?

Back