News   Aug 26, 2024
 289     0 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 426     2 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.9K     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The people who show up at these public consultations are not the same people who live in this area. I think that the bike/anti-car nuts are severely overrepresented at these meetings. Hardly anyone rides bikes around Yonge/Eglinton, even in the summer. Pretty much everyone who lives in this area either takes TTC or drives. Traffic on Eglinton is horrible and we don't want to make it even worse.

There is a lot of condo development in this area which means that the light rail and the roads will be getting a lot busier. I have a strong suspicion that the LRT will be much busier than expected, because of all the new condo development. There are a whole bunch of buildings going up at Yonge/Eglinton right now. Also Don Mills/Eglinton has a lot of development potential, probably the most of any area along the line other than near Yonge - the Celestica site (if Celestica moves its headquarters somewhere else like Markham), the Real Canadian Superstore, the Ontario Science Centre parking lot and the parking lot in front of the Mormon church could all be replaced with dozens of tall condo buildings. Keeping Eglinton 4 lanes does not mean that Yonge/Eglinton "caters to the car", it just means that people have a choice between taking the LRT and driving.

I live in the area and I went to the meetings as well. Actually maybe Im not too social but through the Eglinton Connects I met a lot of my neighbours. People who live along Eglinton for a large part use transit walk or would bike if they felt safe. Unfortunately Eglinton is uses as a giant on and off ramp to the Allen which means that we have and it sounds like to some want to continue to cater to the car who has no intention of ever visiting or doing any business on Eglinton.

I live here and I went to the meetings, and I met other people who live in the area at the meetings too. I would say most people who spoke up lived near Eglinton. What are you basing your assumption that the people who live here didn't go to the meetings. It totally contradicts my experience attending the meetings.

There are tens of thousands of people who live in this area, how many of them went to these meetings? Probably less than 1%?

There are tens of thousands of people who live in this area, how many of them went to these meetings? Probably less than 1%?

then they should have gone to the meetings... the meetings are a representation of those who cared to give their bias. That's like not voting and then being upset that Rob Ford is your mayor.

I don't know the percentage but they were very well attended.

So we should completely discredit people's opinions who went to these meetings and filled in the survey online? Why?

Do you live here?

I live in the area and I went to the meetings as well. Actually maybe Im not too social but through the Eglinton Connects I met a lot of my neighbours. People who live along Eglinton for a large part use transit walk or would bike if they felt safe. Unfortunately Eglinton is uses as a giant on and off ramp to the Allen which means that we have and it sounds like to some want to continue to cater to the car who has no intention of ever visiting or doing any business on Eglinton.

If this is the case, why is there lay-by parking in this section? IMO the simple solution/compromise is to scrap that and just make it the two lanes both ways, with either off hours parking, or no parking at all. I love the plan in general, it's just this 1.5 km section needs some work.

*** I also think we should expand parking enforcement with more officers and have them tow waaaaay more often - especially on streetcar and bike lane streets. People seem to ignore parking tickets (they'll pay them ,but do it again) Tow their car though and inconvenience them? Then they'll learn. I would also think it would be revenue neutral to expand the green hornets.

The people who show up at these public consultations are not the same people who live in this area. I think that the bike/anti-car nuts are severely overrepresented at these meetings. Hardly anyone rides bikes around Yonge/Eglinton, even in the summer. Pretty much everyone who lives in this area either takes TTC or drives. Traffic on Eglinton is horrible and we don't want to make it even worse.

There is a lot of condo development in this area which means that the light rail and the roads will be getting a lot busier. I have a strong suspicion that the LRT will be much busier than expected, because of all the new condo development. There are a whole bunch of buildings going up at Yonge/Eglinton right now. Also Don Mills/Eglinton has a lot of development potential, probably the most of any area along the line other than near Yonge - the Celestica site (if Celestica moves its headquarters somewhere else like Markham), the Real Canadian Superstore, the Ontario Science Centre parking lot and the parking lot in front of the Mormon church could all be replaced with dozens of tall condo buildings. Keeping Eglinton 4 lanes does not mean that Yonge/Eglinton "caters to the car", it just means that people have a choice between taking the LRT and driving.

Please show me any kind of data that shows hardly anyone around Yonge and Eglinton bike, because that is surely not what I have observed living there, both for leisure and for commuting, in every season. As well, you think because someone prefers to excercise, and save time by biking to commute, rather than sitting in a private auto, wasting gas and money, and getting to the office later, that the bike folk are "nuts"? Odd logic but whatever.

Secondly, if you take a look at land economics 101, you will know that by adding lanes, or having many lanes on roads and highways always results in increasing the incentive to drive for those who would normally be inticed to try alternative methods of commuting. In the end, this results in the same or a worse level of congestion on the roads that you mentioned above. Alternatively, if we removed one lane from certain roads, the opposite would occur and people would be incentivised to use other forms of transport. Of course we would have to have those options available, like oh myyy, bike lanes, and strong mass transit options with their own right of ways.

The reason why most of these people at the meetings are advocating bike and transit options might possibly be because they are concerned that the current "car only" model might actually not be sustainable given Toronto's growth projections. It's not a war on the car, as some absolutly moronic and combative people might suggest, its a war on congestion, which just happens to be caused primarily by the car. War is a bad term, its actually recognization, from those with the foresight, of the enevitable changes that need to take place, because (as you mentioned,) with higher densities we will need to move more and more people on the same arterials. Europe has been dealing with this for a lot longer than us, and they also love their cars for the record. Ford and his ilk are ignorant to the extreme when it comes to recognizing reality and are motivated stricktly by their own selfish personal desires.

For the record, I drive all the time for work, working in Mississauga and living in Midtown TO. I wish wish wish I could take transit. I could read or work on things on the way, and be more relaxed than I am commuting by car. However, getting to Mississauga Road and the 401 is simply not a viable option by transit right now, thats why the regional transit projects truly are mandatory if we are going to have a functioning region.

I'm really tired of people treating Midtown as some suburb, whether it's coming from suburbanites or downtowners who think Toronto ends at Bloor.

We use all forms of transportation here in Midtown pretty much equally, be it car, transit, bikes or walking. The whole point of Eglinton Connects is to improve the public street-scape and accommodate the street to all forms of transportation. Eglinton Connects after both expert and public consultation seems to be on the course of accomplishing just that.

From Matt Elliot's article:
As for community support, council’s report on the EA in May came with supportive letters from the Eglinton Way BIA, the Eglinton Park Residents’ Association, the Fairbanks Village BIA, the Sherwood Park Residents’ Association, the Mount Dennis Community Association, the Brentwood Towers’ Tenant Association, Leaside Property Owners Association Incorporated and Dr. Chris Cavacuiti of the True North Medical Clinic at 2010 Eglinton Avenue West who says his staff and patients “would all love to see a protected bike lane on Eglinton.”
These organizations represent wider numbers of local users of Eglinton. Doesn't the EA process on all projects demand extensive (and expensive) consultation? Not much more that can be done if people won't engage with significant efforts to seek their voice. The local opinion shouldn't be the only determinant - we're often frustrated by NIMBYs on other concerns - but if residents wish to moderate the impact of the automobile on their immediate environment then those changes need serious consideration. Rob Ford lives on a traffic quieted street - it's signed at 40kph, isn't it? I don't know what kind of street the people against the changes here live on, but there's good chance that they also live on streets that discourage non-local traffic.

A cursory look at Yonge and Eglinton as offered by Google Street view here at a variety of times and dates shows at best an approximate ratio of 50 motor vehicles to one bicycle moving on the street, at some dates there are no bicycles at all. Did the planners on this project realize that the bicycle lobby here in Toronto is much noisier than their numbers justify? The sidewalks are far from crowded in every instance. https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7066...!1e1!3m2!1scbArqF9mJirHfHRhO0EUhw!2e0!5m1!1e3

Spider, when was the last time you walked around Y&E? It's PACKED during rush hour as everyone tries to get on the subway and it's very busy all weekend. Lots of pedestrians as lots of condos/apartment blocks in all directions. If you are on a bike, what with the buses entering the terminal, Yonge and Eglinton currently taking your life in your hands. Much better to use Duplex N/S and Chaplin/Davisville E/W. You'll see more bikes take Eglinton when you have a 50/50 chance of not dying crossing the intersection.

If this is the case, why is there lay-by parking in this section? IMO the simple solution/compromise is to scrap that and just make it the two lanes both ways, with either off hours parking, or no parking at all. I love the plan in general, it's just this 1.5 km section needs some work.

*** I also think we should expand parking enforcement with more officers and have them tow waaaaay more often - especially on streetcar and bike lane streets. People seem to ignore parking tickets (they'll pay them ,but do it again) Tow their car though and inconvenience them? Then they'll learn. I would also think it would be revenue neutral to expand the green hornets.

ill speak only on behalf of the Eglinton stretch between the Allen and Bathurst. Most of this area businesses are restaurants. Some of them pretty pricey. And quite a bit of them geared to an older demographic. Either or if you dress up to go out to eat you tend to drive.

A cursory look at Yonge and Eglinton as offered by Google Street view here at a variety of times and dates shows at best an approximate ratio of 50 motor vehicles to one bicycle moving on the street, at some dates there are no bicycles at all. Did the planners on this project realize that the bicycle lobby here in Toronto is much noisier than their numbers justify? The sidewalks are far from crowded in every instance. https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7066...!1e1!3m2!1scbArqF9mJirHfHRhO0EUhw!2e0!5m1!1e3

Alot has changed since Google did their street view... I constantly see google street view gas stations with low 90s for gas. Gas has and will continue to change peoples travel decisions.

ill speak only on behalf of the Eglinton stretch between the Allen and Bathurst. Most of this area businesses are restaurants. Some of them pretty pricey. And quite a bit of them geared to an older demographic. Either or if you dress up to go out to eat you tend to drive.

That's fine, but why can't they park on the side streets like in other areas where there'll be no parking - or if it is a high end resto, have a valet service? Obviously the BIA wanted these spots - but why not make them through lanes with off hours parking? Either way this portion of the street is being allocated to cars. At least with off hours parking, it meets everyone's goals.

Alot has changed since Google did their street view... I constantly see google street view gas stations with low 90s for gas. Gas has and will continue to change peoples travel decisions.
??? There's different images available for many locations, with dates ranging from 2007 to 2013. A lot has changed since 2013?

If you can't see the bar to show the different images, switch from the classic version to the new one.

That's fine, but why can't they park on the side streets like in other areas where there'll be no parking - or if it is a high end resto, have a valet service? Obviously the BIA wanted these spots - but why not make them through lanes with off hours parking? Either way this portion of the street is being allocated to cars. At least with off hours parking, it meets everyone's goals.

because side streets like my own only have one hour parking and for some reason it is heavily enforced. People dont seem to like a parking lot right outside their front door. Id agree we should allow for more parking on side streets even if it is paid.

Just reading through these comments and this one stood out.....aren't you saying, then, that cars and their passengers are an essential source of business for the businesses on this stretch? Or is the hope that these businesses will be replaced with less car reliant uses?

Back