News   Jul 23, 2024
 170     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 767     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 2K     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Yes we can't just consider car congestion alone, but pedestrian congestion. Yonge & Eg is already very crowded most times of day (one of the top pedestrian intersections). Imagine when all the condos being built open & the new transit line opens. Implementing at wider sidewalks and nicer pedestrian environment like big trees is a good thing.

I would think that any condo development would have to give a bit of space to increase the sidewalk.

Having lived on the street for 18 years, I can say that so long as the buses are gone from the roads, lane reduction here won't be too bad. An inconvenience for long-distance travelers perhaps, but they shouldn't be using Eglinton for long-distance commuting anyway.

Anyone who wants to go from Scarborough to Etobicoke or York should be taking St. Clair or Lawrence - the main streets to the north and south.

Anyone who wants to go from Scarborough to Etobicoke or York should be taking St. Clair or Lawrence - the main streets to the north and south.

Well, to be fair, St. Clair ends and starts back up again around the Don Valley - a very inconvenient road to travel across the city on.

As long as the reduction to one lane is only inside the central part of Toronto, I don't see a problem. I originally thought the article was referring to the east of Vic Park area that is going to be rejuvenated with a lot more street furniture, greenways under the LRT, etc etc.

I've been kind of out of the loop on this project. I drove past Eglinton and Laird to the DVP and noticed some work near the Don Valley area was starting. Was it every determined what the final plan is for the crossing? will it be a bridge or underground?

I've been kind of out of the loop on this project. I drove past Eglinton and Laird to the DVP and noticed some work near the Don Valley area was starting. Was it every determined what the final plan is for the crossing? will it be a bridge or underground?
Bridge in centre of Eglinton, leading to a surface stop at Leslie.

I expect what you are seeing it the construction of the portal (and TBM launch site) west of Leslie and east of Brentcliffe.

Just read this morning in SAL column that the Eglinton Connects proposal is proposing to reduce traffic to a single lane on Eglinton - is that right? Can someone point me to a proposal document that shows this?

If this is true, its sort of madness. I am a proponent of the LRT on Eglinton and a reduction to 2 lanes, but reducing to 1 lane will be a nightmare on this street.

For the 1.3 people inside each automobile, I guess it could discourage them from using that automobile and switch to public transit or bicycle.

Bridge in centre of Eglinton, leading to a surface stop at Leslie.

I expect what you are seeing it the construction of the portal (and TBM launch site) west of Leslie and east of Brentcliffe.

Yes the exit portal, looks like stuff is coming along. Based on what I saw I assumed it was going to be a bridge but wasn't going to rule out an emergency shaft or something lol Thanks for the clarification.

Yes the exit portal, looks like stuff is coming along. Based on what I saw I assumed it was going to be a bridge but wasn't going to rule out an emergency shaft or something lol Thanks for the clarification.
Basically, they ended up going in the east, with the original plan from the 2010 (or thereabouts) EA. Ultimately, I think they were afraid of council doing something wacko given how much fuss the pre-consultation about removing the Ferrand and Leslie stops was creating.

Basically, they ended up going in the east, with the original plan from the 2010 (or thereabouts) EA. Ultimately, I think they were afraid of council doing something wacko given how much fuss the pre-consultation about removing the Ferrand and Leslie stops was creating.

Working backwards - they need to have the line operating in 2020. I've been told it will take at least four year to construct Yonge station so work needs to be started by 2016. They can't really start working on Yonge Station until the boring machine is through the headwall at Holly Street. The eastern tunnel will take the better part of two years to bore (with all the portal prep time etc.) so the contract for the eastern tunnel boring must start in 2014. They had to know where the boring machine was starting before they awarded the contract. Therefore they had to lock down the final design for anything that affected the eastern tunnel designs by the end of 2013. As such, the critical point in the timeline was last fall since any major changes in the design would have to go through a re-approval process with might have taken a year or more. In other words, add a year to the discussion about the Leslie Street stop and you add a year to the opening day of the line. Metrolinx delayed the decision as long as they could, but in the end the disagreement meant they were stuck with the approved option as their only choice.

Last edited:
Working backwards - they need to have the line operating in 2020. I've been told it will take at least four year to construct Yonge station so work needs to be started by 2016. They can't really start working on Yonge Station until the boring machine is through the headwall at Holly Street.
Surely they can start working on Yonge station at the same time they start building the extraction pits for the 4 TBMs east and west of Yonge. I don't see why they can't work in between the extraction pits before tunnelling is completed. Particularly as much of the work is moving the platforms for the existing Eglinton station.

Your assessment makes sense though. And 4 years seems reasonable Quite frankly, I suspect 2020 is optimistic, and it will be more like 2022 ... similiar to how the Spadina subway opening for 2015 is now 2017.

Surely they can start working on Yonge station at the same time they start building the extraction pits for the 4 TBMs east and west of Yonge. I don't see why they can't work in between the extraction pits before tunnelling is completed. Particularly as much of the work is moving the platforms for the existing Eglinton station.

Your assessment makes sense though. And 4 years seems reasonable Quite frankly, I suspect 2020 is optimistic, and it will be more like 2022 ... similiar to how the Spadina subway opening for 2015 is now 2017.

I thought Spadina ext is still scheduled to open in 2016?

http://www.ttc.ca/Spadina/About_the_Project/FAQ.jsp

I thought Spadina ext is still scheduled to open in 2016?

http://www.ttc.ca/Spadina/About_the_Project/FAQ.jsp
Late 2016. With very dire warning for months from TTC on how very behind 3 of the stations are, and lots of in camera meetings to discuss the very poor performance of the Pioneer Village contractor Walsh Construction.

There's been noise for a few weeks that an another postponement of the opening is coming. Whether to the entire line, or just some station openings isn't clear.

Like everything else, the decision to go with the original plan in the East was political.

Back