News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 766     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

YAY! this is great.. hopefully its true. I knew some new infrastructure money was coming, this is perfect. we finally get the TTC airport connection..

edit: doesn't look like new money. does seem to prove the advancement of the sheppard LRT timeline though.
nice!

What about the Scarborough Malvern LRT? That is never getting built huh?

TBM Tracker is great. Glad to see it working well as the first TBM has actually been moving since last week. Its now broken the first Keele Headwall from what i can tell on it positioning.

Reading through the full Fall Economic Statement from the Government of Ontario, there was only passing mention of the Crosstown LRt as investment underway and an example of Infrastructure Ontario projects. Contrary to what Mr Mcgrath was saying there is no mention in the document of The Pearson portion of the LRT being built at all. Likewise aside from reports in The Star, there is no government documentation associated with the budget of FES to support these claims.

Does someone care to elaborate on if I'm missing something?

TBM Tracker is great. Glad to see it working well as the first TBM has actually been moving since last week. Its now broken the first Keele Headwall from what i can tell on it positioning.

Reading through the full Fall Economic Statement from the Government of Ontario, there was only passing mention of the Crosstown LRt as investment underway and an example of Infrastructure Ontario projects. Contrary to what Mr Mcgrath was saying there is no mention in the document of The Pearson portion of the LRT being built at all. Likewise aside from reports in The Star, there is no government documentation associated with the budget of FES to support these claims.

Does someone care to elaborate on if I'm missing something?
The next wave of funding for the $4.9-billion, 19-kilometre Eglinton Crosstown LRT.

From the article. The next wave = Phase 2. It's 767 million. The part of the crosstown being built now is fully funded.
Transit%20City.jpg

The blue line in the picture.

Attachments

• Transit%20City.jpg
    Transit%20City.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 469
The next wave of funding for the $4.9-billion, 19-kilometre Eglinton Crosstown LRT.

From the article. The next wave = Phase 2. It's 767 million. The part of the crosstown being built now is fully funded.

Could the next wave of funding refer to the AFP funding for the at grade portion? The originally awarded the tunneling contract. And now there is the second large contract being tendered. Could one of these other contracts be the funding they are referring too?

I know this may come across as overly skeptical and irrational, however I don't have confidence that the gov't would release funds for this portion of Eglinton before funding projects in Hamilton or Mississauga purely on a political basis. If they do then it definitely says something about their commitment to transit and their commitment to getting it done quickly, which makes me a very happy camper and restores some confidence that Next Wave projects are going to move forward. Im going to fire off an email to Metrolinx and stop by their local Crosstown office and ask them for some elaboration.

Thanks for the info-graphic though. I was looking for something similar to that for some time now to add to my references.

they might because the Mississauga and hamilton LRTs are supposed to be funded through this budget as well, but through the transit taxes.

regardless, I feel this was just a rumour.

they might because the Mississauga and hamilton LRTs are supposed to be funded through this budget as well, but through the transit taxes.

regardless, I feel this was just a rumour.

Pretty much the same sentiment here. Those projects were under the same level of priority so that's what got me thinking. When it feels like its too good to be true and we're talking about the Libs, well chances are its damn near comical. That said, here's to hoping.

Could the next wave of funding refer to the AFP funding for the at grade portion? The originally awarded the tunneling contract. And now there is the second large contract being tendered. Could one of these other contracts be the funding they are referring too?

I know this may come across as overly skeptical and irrational, however I don't have confidence that the gov't would release funds for this portion of Eglinton before funding projects in Hamilton or Mississauga purely on a political basis. If they do then it definitely says something about their commitment to transit and their commitment to getting it done quickly, which makes me a very happy camper and restores some confidence that Next Wave projects are going to move forward. Im going to fire off an email to Metrolinx and stop by their local Crosstown office and ask them for some elaboration.

Thanks for the info-graphic though. I was looking for something similar to that for some time now to add to my references.
It could, but I'm sure the Liberals don't want the LRT's to go to waste. It makes sense that it would be the tunneling contract, given that they just started it.

^^^ Im pretty sure they rationalized their costs and figured why take an extra charge when we are going to need the LRVS anyways in a few years time. Might aswell build the full line out. Better optics for the Libs that they are "making best use of funds and not letting more go to waste" and that they are "investing in regions future"

Personally, a more frequent 32A bus service would serve us very well as the loads, both east and west bound, in the peaks drop off once you get west of Jane. The LRT is definitely needed in the future with new developments along Eglinton out here. Its most useful purpose currently will be the RT link to the airport which imho will cannibalize the UPX ridership given the cost differences.

Better to see them building it now though than leaving its future up in the air. Cant wait to see how Hudak spins this extension as "Liberal Waste"

A significant benefit of going all the way to the airport is to eliminate a transfer for those traveling from the west. Otherwise, transfer at Mt Dennis will become a source of complains, much like the transfer at Don Mills on Sheppard.

Not sure that the LRT extension to the airport will compete with UPX. UPX is mostly for business travelers who can expense their trip. For them, it does not make any sense to switch to Spadina subway + Eglinton LRT. On the other hand, most of leisure travelers are unlikely to use UPX anyway. If LRT ends at Mt Dennis, they will still go there and then take the express bus to the airport.

New display slides and info from last night's meeting on Laird - Wynford are up. Make sure you check em out and tell Metrolinx to put the Leslie stop on the south side of Eglinton.

It looks like the constraint might be putting in a new road which connects to Aerodrome Crescent near the Scenic on Eglinton development, just west of the portal. I really don't see a need for a road here, as this development can be accessed from Brentcliffe Road.

What is the point of spending money putting Don Mills underground if Leslie is not grade separated?

It looks like the constraint might be putting in a new road which connects to Aerodrome Crescent near the Scenic on Eglinton development, just west of the portal. I really don't see a need for a road here, as this development can be accessed from Brentcliffe Road.

What is the point of spending money putting Don Mills underground if Leslie is not grade separated?

I do not see how it is a constraint. That new road, lets call it "Scenic Gate", is closed during the entire construction. When completed, the portal would be to the East of this intersection. The only question is whether the portal can be moved south 3.25m, and Eglinton shifted north 3.25m (or any other combination that adds up to 6.5m). Either way, the portal would be East of "Scenic Gate", but with the 6.5m shift, the tracks would be on a south side alignment and it could be built for the next 2km away from traffic for less traffic disruption and lower construction costs (notwithstanding the maybe $10M needed for the Don River East Branch Bridge, the 2@$10M for the tunnels through the CPR embankment) and the $5M to reconfigure the Celestica Ramp.

to accommodate a bus terminal and grade separate what is the second busiest interstection on the route.

Is Allen Road the busiest? How close would Vic Park be to Don Mills (i.e. is it 10% less busy or 50% less)? Can the bus terminal be located on the SW corner - this way the station could be constructed SW of the Don Mills/Eglinton intersection with only a pair of tracks going under Don Mills?

Last edited:
New display slides and info from last night's meeting on Laird - Wynford are up. Make sure you check em out and tell Metrolinx to put the Leslie stop on the south side of Eglinton.

For the Leslie Stop, they show a 100m diameter circle from the platform - but they actually show this as an oval. This might be true for an underground station were people can exit from one of several entrances. For Leslie, I do not think we plan for pedestrians to run across unsignalized traffic. Thus, the 100m circle (not sure why they did not show 300m or 500m) should be centred around the pedestrian crosswalk and not the east end of the platform.

It is also of note that a similar thing was not done for Ferrand. The pedestrian crosswalk is to the east of the Ferrand platform - sharing the intersection with the DVP off ramps. If they did the same 100m circle at Ferrand, there would be a total of ZERO businesses and residents within the circle.

Back