News   Jun 27, 2024
 376     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 680     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 438     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Grade seperating east of Don Mills doesn't really matter now that the Scarborough subway is happening instead.

Maybe you are right.

The other thing that the B-D Subway extension might do is prevent the DRL from going up to Eglinton. With the grade-separated Eglinton line - there would be great presure to extend the DRL to Eglinton. Without this, the reasons would be Flemindon and Thornecliffe - not exactly the most influential neighbourhoods in Toronto.

You are correct there as well, My rank of priorities for project funding based on importance runs something like this:

1. DRL south of Bloor
2. Yonge Extension
3. Eglinton LRT to the Airport (preferably trench along the richview corridor, though there are so few lights along the stretch that a surface run would be just fine)
4. Bloor extension to Sherway
5. Jane LRT
6. DRL to Don Mills / Eglinton

I'm going slightly off-topic here but I've been meaning to ask for awhile now. Is the demand on Jane really that much to warrant an LRT?

Jane is one of the busiest TTC bus routes. But the projected LRT demand is marginal for LRT, something like 2,800 ppdph.

I believe it makes sense to build Jane LRT from Eglinton to Steeles, but it should not be a high priority project. It should come after DRL, and after the currently delayed sections of other LRT lines, such as Eglinton to the airport.

The other thing that the B-D Subway extension might do is prevent the DRL from going up to Eglinton. With the grade-separated Eglinton line - there would be great presure to extend the DRL to Eglinton. Without this, the reasons would be Flemindon and Thornecliffe - not exactly the most influential neighbourhoods in Toronto.

This argument will play a role, however there are other reasons to extend the eastern leg of DRL to Eglinton, and even north of it. That would provide a more effective relief of Yonge; and once the line reaches Eglinton, powerful suburban constituencies will have a reason to support its further extension.

What about Royal York, Kipling, Warden, Markham Rd, etc. LRT or Bus?

Markham Road probably won't warrant LRT for a long time. Its northern section does not even have all-day bus service.

All other said avenues are potential candidates. I would certainly add the Kennedy Subway - Eglinton - Kingston Road - Morningside route (up to Sheppard) to the list; it should have decent ridership, and is a Transit City line, although unfunded at this time.

Markham Road probably won't warrant LRT for a long time. Its northern section does not even have all-day bus service.

All other said avenues are potential candidates. I would certainly add the Kennedy Subway - Eglinton - Kingston Road - Morningside route (up to Sheppard) to the list; it should have decent ridership, and is a Transit City line, although unfunded at this time.

IMO we need way more north south transit in this city.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

innstertnamehere you are very informative. You should consider starting a website.

Last edited:
You are correct there as well, My rank of priorities for project funding based on importance runs something like this:

1. DRL south of Bloor
2. Yonge Extension
3. Eglinton LRT to the Airport (preferably trench along the richview corridor, though there are so few lights along the stretch that a surface run would be just fine)
4. Bloor extension to Sherway
5. Jane LRT
6. DRL to Don Mills / Eglinton

I agree, however, I think the DRL should use trams (6 to 8 cars) and run at grade above Bloor. If the Don Mills LRT stayed in Transit City the job of a DRL would be eased since a DRL from even University or Spadina to Bloor would just be a waste of time and money IMHO.

8 car LRT trains? you are looking at 240m long trains there... Just build a nice little transfer at Eglinton for the LRT to DRL just like how the Sheppard LRT will be. The DRL needs to be heavy rail, there is no way getting around that.

8 car LRT trains? you are looking at 240m long trains there... Just build a nice little transfer at Eglinton for the LRT to DRL just like how the Sheppard LRT will be. The DRL needs to be heavy rail, there is no way getting around that.

I know, 8 trains are a bit of a push. I look at it like this, the relief line is supposed to be just that, a relief for Yonge, so would a line need to have HRVs. Anyway, I am an idealist at times.

The transfer point makes complete sense, and will reduce the costs of putting a line up to at least Sheppard.

What about Royal York, Kipling, Warden, Markham Rd, etc. LRT or Bus?

I'd say these would be the best routes for future LRT:

NORTH SOUTH: Islington, Kipling, Jane, Dufferin, Bathurst, Don Mills, Victoria Park, Kennedy, Markham, Morningside

EAST WEST: Wilson, Finch east, Lawrence, Steeles, Highway 7, Ellesmere, Kingston/Highway 2

If these stops are given grade-separated status and are made to be electrified Eurostyle "pre-metros", I think the public would get off of its "subways cubed" kick mighty quickly.

NORTH SOUTH: Islington, Kipling, Jane, Dufferin, Bathurst, Don Mills, Victoria Park, Kennedy, Markham, Morningside

EAST WEST: Wilson, Finch east, Lawrence, Steeles, Highway 7, Ellesmere, Kingston/Highway 2

If these stops are given grade-separated status and are made to be electrified Eurostyle "pre-metros", I think the public would get off of its "subways cubed" kick mighty quickly.

Agreed!

Interesting list, I agree with all but Markham & Morningside (NORTH SOUTH), they could be served by a Kingston/HYW 2. Wilson/Yorkmills/Ellesmere would be more appropriate (EAST WEST) along with the others.

Back