News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.8K     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

There are hills on Eglinton that are over 5%, which is the limit for the light rail vehicles. The streetcars are supposed to be able to handle 8% inclines, but not the light rail vehicles for the Transit City lines. From Keele east to Caledonia, the tunnel inclines will have to be no more than 5%, which is why the station at Caledonia is very deep, but the station at Keele is shallow, the tunnels cannot exceed 5% incline.

Aren't inclines limited to 5% due to passenger safety and comfort? I am sure LRV's can climb greater than 5%.

Aren't inclines limited to 5% due to passenger safety and comfort? I am sure LRV's can climb greater than 5%.

There are a whole bunch of different factors which have to be taken into account when factoring these kinds of things. The units that Metrolinx are buying can handle more than a 5% grade without difficulty on their own, but wouldn't be able to haul a dead unit up a grade steeper than that - thus, the arbitrary 5% grade limit. The legacy fleet cars can handle much steeper than 8% grades, but the same thing applies. This is also why ALRVs are not allowed on St. Clair at all, or on the Harbourfront line if it is at all possible - they can't push a disabled unit up those grades.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There are a whole bunch of different factors which have to be taken into account when factoring these kinds of things. The units that Metrolinx are buying can handle more than a 5% grade without difficulty on their own, but wouldn't be able to haul a dead unit up a grade steeper than that - thus, the arbitrary 5% grade limit. The legacy fleet cars can handle much steeper than 8% grades, but the same thing applies. This is also why ALRVs are not allowed on St. Clair at all, or on the Harbourfront line if it is at all possible - they can't push a disabled unit up those grades.

For the legacy LRT, I believe they had to be able to push a disabled and derailed car up that grade. The reasoning being that it would be very difficult to get trucks into the Queens Quay tunnel to manipulate an LRV to get it back on the track.

For the legacy LRT, I believe they had to be able to push a disabled and derailed car up that grade. The reasoning being that it would be very difficult to get trucks into the Queens Quay tunnel to manipulate an LRV to get it back on the track.

There were a number of locations that they looked at, but that grade was one of them.

In the grand scheme of things it would not be difficult to purchase a unit such as a UniMog or a RailKing which has the ability to tow a disabled unit up and out such locations, but I suspect that the TTC would rather have the car behind do the work to try and minimize the disruption to service.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Finally some noticeable progress?

Keele Station Headwall Construction and Utility Relocation for Twin Tunnels
Crews will be relocating various utilities for the construction of the Keele Station headwalls. Headwalls are underground support walls located at the east and west ends of the future station location. Following the relocation of utilities, crews will be installing these underground station headwalls in advance of the twin tunnel construction.
http://www.thecrosstown.ca/news-media/whats-new/keele-station-headwall-construction-and-utility-relocation-for-twin-tunnels

This week, they have narrowed Eglinton Avenue West at Keele Street to two lanes (one in each direction). No left turns from Eglinton Avenue to Keele Street. The center traffic islands on Eglinton are going bye-bye and concrete Jersey barriers are going up. Expect traffic backups, especially during the rush hours. Must be Spring!

Last edited:
And let the disruptions begin.. not to be gone for 4-5 years. all I can say to the locals is; Enjoy!

That's on-and-off over the four to five years. Once the beams are in place, they'll work under them with traffic back to near normal. And there will be another disruption when they have to remove the beams and fill in the hole.

I say to the locals to endure it and enjoy the rapid transit that will be with you forever. Too many people lose sight of that.

Yup. No pain, no gain. And to the locals there, just think of how much higher your land values will be once that line is operational.

I say to the locals to endure it and enjoy the rapid transit that will be with you forever. Too many people lose sight of that.

That neighbourhood is going to be hit really hard with the disruptions. A lot of people tend to lose sight of that too. Expect lots of stories of businesses going under.

That neighbourhood is going to be hit really hard with the disruptions. A lot of people tend to lose sight of that too. Expect lots of stories of businesses going under.

Hopefully, the commercial properties have built up enough of a reserve fund to weather the construction storm. If not, they'll be in trouble financially. Might be a good time to do renovations, in the meantime.

they have had more than enough warning.. 6 years is plenty. if they can't get their act together in that time, they will never be able to. plus you can't simply stop construction of transit because some local businesses might go under.

Back