News   Jun 24, 2024
 178     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.9K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I was listenign to Rob Ford In the City today and a caller said there is something in the municipal act that would allow them to issue a bond for up to 40 years. Charge 1% above prevailing interest rate and the bond would sell out and then instant funding for Sheppard subway. Offer an option that it is redeemable after 10 years. Then he said in a few years interest rates will be higher than the interest rate offered on the bond. Ya bond holders will be happy about that. But should Rob Ford and company not have looked at this option.

And then this guy called in to say if there is a delay than the streetcars get stacked up. But Sheppard is to have a ROW so it will not be held up by that 1 car with a lone driver. And the usual, all the calls for Ford and subways. Its strange these callers do not call in on the other shows yet on In The City its a constant barage of them calling and they are all for Ford. It must be a set-up - all the calls are lined up. After the vote on Wed - if it goes for LRT, what will Ford then talk about on the show. And one guy calls about whats next fro council - building more bike lanes? Ford tells him no more bike lanes will be built

Last edited:
The Leslie at Eglinton intersection will have to address the merging of the Lawrence E #54 line with the new construction alignment but I haven't noticed any discussion of this junction. I have read that there may be no stop at all at Leslie and the #54 can be re-routed south on Don Mills rather than Leslie but this would deny service to all the industries on Leslie. Have I missed something?

I was listenign to Rob Ford In the City today and a caller said there is something in the municipal act that would allow them to issue a bond for up to 40 years. Charge 1% above prevailing interest rate and the bond would sell out and then instant funding for Sheppard subway.

Ford has ranted about at length on many occassions that we need to decrease our city debt load. Taking on Sheppard without an increase in revenue would very likely decrease our credit rating which brings us to "the city has a revenue problem, not a spending problem".

Anyway, the city issues bonds all the time. It's how we are buying replacement streetcars and generally manage the debt.

Producer filtering callers in the background before Ford speaks with them live.

Someone should call in pretending to be a Ford supporter, and then when they get on the air with him ask him point blank questions that expose how stupid his position really is.

Someone should call in pretending to be a Ford supporter, and then when they get on the air with him ask him point blank questions that expose how stupid his position really is.

I was just about to write a post suggesting that. It would be great if a few of us on this forum could call in next week. People really need to be educated about Toronto's transit plans.

There is a delay (10 seconds?) to catch profanity or slander before it gets to the air. They could then break for commercial or traffic at that point, not going on with that caller.

There is a delay (10 seconds?) to catch profanity or slander before it gets to the air. They could then break for commercial or traffic at that point, not going on with that caller.

If the mayor did hang up on someone who doesn't share his opinion I wouldn't see that going over very well. To many people it would seem like he is trying to oppress the opinions of Torontonians who don't share his opinion. Anyways, I'm pretty sure that there must have been a few people on the show who don't agree with the mayor.

If the mayor did hang up on someone who doesn't share his opinion I wouldn't see that going over very well. To many people it would seem like he is trying to oppress the opinions of Torontonians who don't share his opinion. Anyways, I'm pretty sure that there must have been a few people on the show who don't agree with the mayor.

he already did, i only listened to the first show and he did it twice.

he already did, i only listened to the first show and he did it twice.

Wow. Thats a little disappointing. I always knew that the mayor was a little immature, but I never expected him to hang up on callers just because they don't share his opinion. I expected the mayor of Canada's largest city to have a little more integrity then that. If enough pro-LRT supportes call the show hopefully Ford will be more interested in hearing actual facts.

Wow. Thats a little disappointing. I always knew that the mayor was a little immature, but I never expected him to hang up on callers just because they don't share his opinion. I expected the mayor of Canada's largest city to have a little more integrity then that. If enough pro-LRT supportes call the show hopefully Ford will be more interested in hearing actual facts.

hahaha thats a good one

2:00: Caller Dave lives in Toronto, is from Calgary and was a Reform party member. He likes fiscal conservatism, which he says Calgary does well, and adds that it's a car-focused city. So why, he asks, would LRTs have worked for Calgary for the past 30 years but not for Toronto? Ford responds that people in Toronto really want subways, and apparently that's enough.

meshuga said:
I am caller Dave (mentioned in the above recap at the 2pm mark). The one thing that surprised me and infuriated me was being cut off by the Mayor (or his producer). I had follow up questions for the Mayor and actually started to ask one. You can hear it in the show podcast right after he says: "you get from point A to point B", I barely managed to squeeze in a "but, but..." before I was cut off and the Mayor just chuckled and said "...absolutely" before continuing to deliver his speech.

I was not impressed by such blatant stifling of dialog.

http://toronto.openfile.ca/blog/news/2012/rob-and-doug-ford-show-recap-week-four

Back