News   Jul 30, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 671     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The entire line will be POP. All doors will open at all stations, manned or not.

Check out the PDF from the August/September 2008 Open House Display Panels by following this link on page 19 of 32. In a shallow station, it could be similar to the Queens Quay station. In a deep station, it could have a mezzanine level like a HRT subway station.

Thanks very much! Nice to see they're willing to do shallow stations.

The entire line will be POP. All doors will open at all stations, manned or not.
While I know you are fully aware of this, it's worth pointing out to those who may not that all streetcar/LRT lines, TC and existing, will be POP using the new Bombardier equipment.

Eglinton West and Don Mills have always seemed to me like perfect places for elevated rapid transit. Neither of them have any significant pedestrian life, nor would it likely be possible for them to develop one. Eglinton is in a vast right-of-way, while Don Mills is mostly lined with set back apartment buildings. Neither is designated an Avenue. There's nothing wrong with running an elevated line like that one in Vancouver down the Richview corridor or down Don Mills. The line could even dip underground around Don Mills and Lawrence if the impacts are deemed too great in that area.

Nobody has ever or would ever seriously suggest an elevated line in the developed central section of Eglinton.

Do we know what the SRT "upgrades" are supposed to be yet?
Yes and no.

SRT is being extended to Malvern. In addition, it has to be modified to handle new vehicles since the current Mark I vehicles are reaching the end of their life. We're not sure what the final decision on this will be - it will either involve supporting the current Bombardier Mark II vehicles (which requires trackwork changes) or converting it over to LRT equipment.

The latter idea has gained support in the past year as Metrolinx has been an advocate of connecting it to the Eglinton line. Then again, there are those who are convinced that Eglinton will be built as ART. We'll have to wait and see.

For some of the background, see http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/scarborough_rapid_transit/index.htm

Do we know what the SRT "upgrades" are supposed to be yet?

Any idea what the ridership numbers are for Calgary and Edmonton on those lines? I know they can't really be directly compared to Toronto as the cities are vastly different than Toronto, but nonetheless it would be interesting to know the numbers (in context).
The two cities may not be all that comparable, but individual corridors are. The Edmonton line is a subway through the central area much the way the Eglinton line will be. Some comparisons:

Edmonton LRT: 15 km, 15.3 million annual riders (I don't think that includes the extension they just opened)
Sheppard LRT: 17.4 km, 15.6 million riders (Metrolinx projection)
Eglinton LRT: 31 km, 59 million riders (Metrolinx projection)
Calgary's system gets 297,000 daily riders on 3 lines.

Last edited:
Preliminary Planning Update

I don't think this has been posted already... the TTC posted an update on the Eglinton LRt ahead of their meeting tomorrow. It includes a list of proposed stops between Martin Grove and Kennedy, and "4 to 5" stops at Pearson. The report says the tunnel will go from Keele to Brentcliffe (~1 km west of Leslie) although Appendix C shows the tunnel going all the way to Jane.

http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co...09/May_28_2009/Other/Commission_Report_-_.pdf

Here's the list of stops
1. 4 -5 stops at Pearson Airport
2. Martin Grove Road
3. Widdicombe Hill Boulevard / Lloyd Manor Road
4. Kipling Avenue
5. Wincott Drive / Bemersyde Drive
6. Islington Avenue
7. Russell Road / Eden Valley Road
8. Royal York Road
9. Mulham Place
10. Scarlett Road
11. Emmett Drive
12. Jane Street (Future Jane LRT)
13. Weston Road – under study
14. Black Creek Drive – under study
15. Keele Street
16. Caledonia Road
17. Dufferin Street
18. Oakwood Avenue
19. Allen Road (Spadina Subway)
20. Bathurst Street
21. Chaplin Crescent
22. Avenue Road
23. Yonge Street (Yonge Subway)
24. Mount Pleasant Road
25. Bayview Avenue
26. Brentcliffe Road
27. Leslie Street
28. Don Mills Road (Future Don Mills LRT)
29. Ferrand Drive
30. Wynford Drive
31. Swift Drive / Credit Union Drive
32. Bermondsey Road
33. Victoria Park Avenue
34. Pharmacy Avenue
35. Lebovic Avenue
36. Warden Avenue
37. Birchmount Avenue
38. Ionview Road
39. Kennedy Station (Danforth Subway, Scarborough RT, Future Scarborough / Malvern LRT)

Last edited:
Thanks for alerting us to that report. As you noted, it's not quite ready for prime time. Regarding the section between Jane and Keele, which they acknowledge is a complex area with several possibilities, the text says one thing (surface) and the appendices another (underground).

The report says the tunnel will go from Keele to Brentcliffe (~1 km west of Leslie) although Appendix C shows the tunnel going all the way to Jane.

http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co...09/May_28_2009/Other/Commission_Report_-_.pdf

Here's the list of stops
1. 4 -5 stops at Pearson Airport
2. Martin Grove Road
3. Widdicombe Hill Boulevard / Lloyd Manor Road
4. Kipling Avenue
5. Wincott Drive / Bemersyde Drive
6. Islington Avenue
7. Russell Road / Eden Valley Road
8. Royal York Road
9. Mulham Place
10. Scarlett Road
11. Emmett Drive
12. Jane Street (Future Jane LRT)
13. Weston Road – under study
14. Black Creek Drive – under study
15. Keele Street
16. Caledonia Road
17. Dufferin Street
18. Oakwood Avenue
19. Allen Road (Spadina Subway)
20. Bathurst Street
21. Chaplin Crescent
22. Avenue Road
23. Yonge Street (Yonge Subway)
24. Mount Pleasant Road
25. Bayview Avenue
?????????????????????????????????????????
26. Brentcliffe Road
27. Leslie Street
28. Don Mills Road (Future Don Mills LRT)
29. Ferrand Drive
30. Wynford Drive
31. Swift Drive / Credit Union Drive
32. Bermondsey Road
33. Victoria Park Avenue
34. Pharmacy Avenue
35. Lebovic Avenue
36. Warden Avenue
37. Birchmount Avenue
38. Ionview Road
39. Kennedy Station (Danforth Subway, Scarborough RT, Future Scarborough / Malvern LRT)

What are they thinking? I'd remove #s 5, 7, 9, 11, 29, 31 and 35 right off the bat. The line has to maintain a high level of speed and frequency in order to be a true LRT service (~35km/h NOT 23km/h). The Jane/Weston, VP/Pharmacy and Brentcliffe/Leslie stations could be merged as all these pairings are within 300m of eachother. Where the heck's Laird Dr, the major N/S artery of Leaside? A tunnel between Keele and Jane makes absolutely no sense because that area is in a valley. Why not simply elevate the guideway through that stretch, with an above-grade station (Black Creek) directly serving the GO corridor? And regarding the Airport Study in the URL; why don't they just swing the LRT up the hydro corridor to the immediate west of Martin Grove, then run it across Dixon into Pearson? At least then the line would be accessible to the high concentration of hotels, bars, eateries and convention centres lining the stretch from Hwy 27 to Carlingview. There's no reason why the bus can't takeover west of Martin Grove/Eglinton Stn.

What are they thinking? I'd remove #s 5, 7, 9, 11, 29, 31 and 35 right off the bat. The line has to maintain a high level of speed and frequency in order to be a true LRT service (~35km/h NOT 23km/h). The Jane/Weston, VP/Pharmacy and Brentcliffe/Leslie stations could be merged as all these pairings are within 300m of eachother. Where the heck's Laird Dr, the major N/S artery of Leaside? A tunnel between Keele and Jane makes absolutely no sense because that area is in a valley. Why not simply elevate the guideway through that stretch, with an above-grade station (Black Creek) directly serving the GO corridor? And regarding the Airport Study in the URL; why don't they just swing the LRT up the hydro corridor to the immediate west of Martin Grove, then run it across Dixon into Pearson? At least then the line would be accessible to the high concentration of hotels, bars, eateries and convention centres lining the stretch from Hwy 27 to Carlingview. There's no reason why the bus can't takeover west of Martin Grove/Eglinton Stn.
This is what I was thinking. Whether it be LRT or Subway, those aren't very mandatory stops.

If it was subway I think the stops that you approved of sound pretty good. I don't think it would be very good for Eglinton to have stop spacing like Yonge if it got subway.

I wonder if this will make Kennedy Station more safe or less safe... or if safety is pretty much independent of the changes.

I wonder if this will make Kennedy Station more safe or less safe... or if safety is pretty much independent of the changes.

You'd think just the presence of more people from all these lines would make it more safe. Plus I hope the TTC has learned something about designing for passenger safety in the last 40 years...

Back