News   Jul 30, 2024
 988     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 663     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

It might be easiest to run it up highway 27 and then along Dixon into the airport, rather than try to push it through the 401/427 highway interchange. It looks like there is lots of room to run it alongside highway 27 and you could run it down the middle of Dixon/Airport road.

Here are major intersections.

east-eglinton-lrt.gif

Don Mills
Bermondsey Dr
Victoria Park
Pharmacy Ave
Warden
Birchmount

6 intersections on the Eglinton East

west-eglinton-lrt.gif

Bicknell Ave
Black Creek Dr.
Weston
Jane
Scarlett
Royal York
Russell Rd/Eden Valley Dr
Islington
Wincott/Bemerayde Dr.
Kipling
Martin Grove

11 intersections on the Eglinton West line before it goes back into its own ROW to get to the airport.

I could easily see this being less than 50 minutes to get from Kennedy to Pearson.

On the planned Eglinton Crosstown LRT route are the stops going to be like Stations along the subway with an attendent and at a lot of subway stations we transit users are protected, somewhat, from the elements during bad weather. Or will the LRT stops be like a regular bus stop on a stop along a street.

I see that the Eglinton-Crosstown LRT could have 6 major stops/stations.

The airport terminal will be a major terminal requiring 24 hour-7 day access. This station will need to accessible to everyone with luggage. That means no stairs, but ramp access to the airport terminal. Informational messages would have to be in several languages (not just English and French) and stick-figure signs.

The Jane stop will be a transfer point with the Jane LRT. There should also be a short-turn crossover to handle long trains to return east.

The Allen Road station will be a transfer point with the Spadina HRT. There should be crossovers at both ends of the station, in case of problems with the line. It will have to handle large crowds of commuters.

The Yonge station will be a transfer point with the Yonge HRT. As with the Allen Road station, there should be crossovers at both ends of the station, in case of problems with the line. It will have to handle large crowds of commuters, as well.

The Don Mills stop will be a transfer point with the Don Mills LRT. As with the Jane stop, it should have a short-turn crossover to handle long trains to go west. Because of the proximity of the Ontario Science Centre, it will be also be a major destination (if the Science Centre could decrease the distance to its entrance to avoid its parking lot).

Last, and not least, is the Kennedy station. It will be a major transfer point with the Bloor-Danforth HRT, the Scarborough-Malvern LRT, and the Scarborough RT (unless it becomes an extension to the Eglinton LRT). Large crowds of commuters will be expected to be handled.

All six of those stops/stations will need to be major focal points for the line. All will need to have crossovers, and can expect large crowds.

I see that the Eglinton-Crosstown LRT could have 6 major stops/stations.

The airport terminal will be a major terminal requiring 24 hour-7 day access. This station will need to accessible to everyone with luggage. That means no stairs, but ramp access to the airport terminal. Informational messages would have to be in several languages (not just English and French) and stick-figure signs.

The Jane stop will be a transfer point with the Jane LRT. There should also be a short-turn crossover to handle long trains to return east.

The Allen Road station will be a transfer point with the Spadina HRT. There should be crossovers at both ends of the station, in case of problems with the line. It will have to handle large crowds of commuters.

The Yonge station will be a transfer point with the Yonge HRT. As with the Allen Road station, there should be crossovers at both ends of the station, in case of problems with the line. It will have to handle large crowds of commuters, as well.

The Don Mills stop will be a transfer point with the Don Mills LRT. As with the Jane stop, it should have a short-turn crossover to handle long trains to go west. Because of the proximity of the Ontario Science Centre, it will be also be a major destination (if the Science Centre could decrease the distance to its entrance to avoid its parking lot).

Last, and not least, is the Kennedy station. It will be a major transfer point with the Bloor-Danforth HRT, the Scarborough-Malvern LRT, and the Scarborough RT (unless it becomes an extension to the Eglinton LRT). Large crowds of commuters will be expected to be handled.

All six of those stops/stations will need to be major focal points for the line. All will need to have crossovers, and can expect large crowds.

One transfer point missing from my list above, is the one at Renforth. The Mississauga Transitway (BRT) was to terminate at Renforth. Why it wouldn't continue up into Pearson Airport (YYZ), I don't know. The airport is in Mississauga, I would have thought they would want to serve it using their BRT.

I didn't include Renforth was because I thought the Mississauga Transitway would have joined up with the Eglington-Crossway LRT at Renforth and the two of them share the right-of-way up to the airport terminal. Of course, if they shared the right-of-way, a wider right-of-way would be required since the buses from Mississauga would require more width.

If they decide to go with a guided busway (at least from Renforth to the airport), they would need to cover it. Experience with guided busways around the world shows that snowfall interferes with the bus guides, and they need a roof or covering similar to the Montréal Metro.

What is happening with the Mississauga Transitway, anyways?

Yeah, it does seem pretty basic. All that would really need to be done is to put in transit priority lighting at Renforth and Eglinton and at Silver Dart and Renforth.

What is happening with the Mississauga Transitway, anyways?
I also wonder.

Yes, I would like to see the above-ground sections of the LRT below-grade along Eglinton. Consider that Mississauga's BRT will be below-grade along Eglinton, then doesn't it make sense for this LRT to be as well?

Also, wouldn't a below-grade (or elevated) LRT be much easier to convert to full subway? After all, they are building the underground sections to accommodate conversion to subway so they should probably do the same for the above ground sections as well...

Even if Portland MAX LRT can be very fast, that does not matter here, because Portland does not have a distinct subway/RT system like we do. Unlike in other cities, the distinction between surface and subway/RT systems is very important here in Toronto because of the way that they connect to each other and the fare policy. Unlike the other Transit City lines (which will be distinctly part of the surface network), the Eglinton LRT will blur the line between the two systems so I think its above-ground sections should be designed in such a way so that it completely part of subway/RT system instead.

If we built Eglinton like a subway, but with LRT cars, then I'd have a lot less objections to it. Below-grade would be good. Proper stations are important too.

Yeah I think LRT would have been perfect if they took advatange of the available surface ROW. This is not a subway vs LRT issue.

If they decide to go with a guided busway (at least from Renforth to the airport), they would need to cover it. Experience with guided busways around the world shows that snowfall interferes with the bus guides, and they need a roof or covering similar to the Montréal Metro.

If I am not mistaken, the Montreal Metro underground because the cars are not waterproof, not because of the rubber tires.

I think MT already has plans to introduce a new express service soon to the Airport (route 107?) which would eventually use the transitway.

I think that the main concern that most people have is that future ridership on Eglinton is somewhat unknown, therefore the 2010 line must as up-convertible as possible. LRT today is fine. Surface portions are also fine. However, add tail tracks to the ends of the tunnel so that tunnelling can one day continue without interrupting service on the ramps. Furthermore, build it all to subway standards so that 50 years from now, when LRT cannot carry the crush loads, the whole thing can be switched to subway. Alternatively, build to LRT standards, but rough in long enough stations to allow 400 foot long trains to be put into use and run every 90 seconds.

Yeah I think LRT would have been perfect if they took advatange of the available surface ROW. This is not a subway vs LRT issue.

If I am not mistaken, the Montreal Metro underground because the cars are not waterproof, not because of the rubber tires.

I think MT already has plans to introduce a new express service soon to the Airport (route 107?) which would eventually use the transitway.

Actually, the Montréal Metro is entirely enclosed, including their vehicle storage depots, because of the tires and the effect snow has on those tires.

Last edited:
I don't think having an elevated transit line on the eastern end of the Eglinton Crosstown line makes the most sense. Their is nothing set in stone regarding the SRT at Kennedy Station but one plan I read is to eliminate the raised platform for the SRT and bury it so that the SRT would have a center platform at the Mezzanine level of the current Kennedy Station. This means that SRT riders transferring to the subway would only have to go down one level and for SRT riders wanting to catch a bus would only have to go up one level and vise-versa.

I know this isn't about the Eglinton Crosstown Corridor completely, just the eastern terminus of the line at Kennedy Station but their is going to be an Open House regarding the SRT line on Tuesday, June 2/09 at Stes. Peter and Paul Banquet Hall at 231 Milner Ave. between 6:30 pm and 9:00 pm. I think these plans may have some impact for the final plans for the much needed Eglinton Crosstown transit plans.

Stupid question: Will the stations on the underground Eglinton LRT have mezzanines for getting passengers across the tracks (like most TTC subway stations) or will passengers cross the lines at grade (like Queens Quay station and Boston's green line).

Sorry if this has been asked/answered already.

Stupid question: Will the stations on the underground Eglinton LRT have mezzanines for getting passengers across the tracks (like most TTC subway stations) or will passengers cross the lines at grade (like Queens Quay station and Boston's green line).

Sorry if this has been asked/answered already.

Check out the PDF from the August/September 2008 Open House Display Panels by following this link on page 19 of 32. In a shallow station, it could be similar to the Queens Quay station. In a deep station, it could have a mezzanine level like a HRT subway station.

If the Eglinton Crosstown underground had manned station the route could have all door boarding like a subway train, this would shorten dwell times significantly, speeding up this line.

Back