News   Jul 30, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 678     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

^ To clarify I meant some combination of Eglinton and the SRT replacement (which I am hoping will be a LRT). So that might mean stops at red lights. I would not want to see the RT resurrected just so they can have a single line from Malvern to the airport.

Do you think my estimate is reasonable? I think 22 kph is more than reasonable for the Eglinton LRT even with the above ground portion. Supposedly the tunnel would boost it to 25 kph. In which case, the time difference to Yonge from Kennedy would be mere seconds. That's why I think it makes sense to combine the SRT replacement with the Eglinton LRT. That would give us a Eglinton-Scarborough LRT.

It doesn't make sense when the only "benefit" is potentially similar stopwatch times between several completely arbitrary points at which no one is even beginning or ending their trip.

Emmett might make sense if they built some kind of signature bridge connection to the wall of apartments, Vic Park/Crescent Town style...

^ While I would have preferred a subway, I don't understand claims that the TTC's estimates are flawed. What is flawed about assuming 22 kph for a vehicle in its own row with wider stop spacing than a conventional bus? And the tunnel could well bring that up to 25kph for the whole line.

The only problems I see are disruptions caused by any severe weather or accidents which would not impact a subway the same way.

If I take Eglinton LRT, I will get there in 32 minutes.
Where are the Eglinton LRT travel time estimates?

If I take Danforth Subway, transfer to Yonge Subway, it will take me 38 minutes to get to Eglinton Station.
That doesn't seem quite right. According to the TTC travel time estimates, Kennedy to Bloor is 22 minutes, and Bloor to Eglinton is 8 minutes. 30 minutes ... so to be 38 minutes then you'd need 8 minutes to change at Bloor; which is more than necessary as frequency is closer to 2.5 minutes.

:confused:

Not once did I advocate that Eglinton should terminate at Kennedy, nor that it should be interlined with SRT.

Thanks for confirming you're not reading posts and just responding to whatever your eye scans, out of context. No wonder you're confused.

I was talking about the dubious utility of a combined Eglinton-SRT line the entire time, and I've already pointed this out, multiple times. You just quoted me saying it again.

That doesn't seem quite right. According to the TTC travel time estimates, Kennedy to Bloor is 22 minutes, and Bloor to Eglinton is 8 minutes. 30 minutes ... so to be 38 minutes then you'd need 8 minutes to change at Bloor; which is more than necessary as frequency is closer to 2.5 minutes.

Given the projected average speed of the Eglinton LRT at 22 kph and the distance of 11 km from Kennedy to Yonge on Eglinton (according to Google), that would yield a travel time of 30 mins and the rider in this scenario would save a transfer at Yonge-Bloor and another at Yonge-Eglinton. I would argue for this scenario, riders from Kennedy would benefit for any travel along Eglinton and north of Kennedy.

Last edited:

Kennedy to Leslie: 7 km in steet-median, 22 kph, 19 min. Leslie to Bathurst: 6 km underground, 30 kph, 12 min. Total: 31 min. Kettal's estimate is reasonable.

But, two transfers are involved here: Bloor subway to Yonge, and Yonge to Eglinton. 4 min per transfer seems rather optimistic.

Speaking of combining the Eglinton route with S(L)RT versus combining it with Kingston Rd LRT, I can see two advantages of the latter option:

1) Usually, straight-line routes reduce the average number of transfers on the system. That is, unless a lot of S(L)RT passengers want to continue along Eglinton, which is probably not the case.

2) S(L)RT on its dedicated guideway will be capable of running more frequent service than Eglinton line in street-median from Kennedy to Leslie. Therefore, even if they are combined, every 2-nd S(L)RT train will have to short-turn at Kennedy.

On the contrary, Eglinton LRT and Eglinton - Kingston Rd LRT will be in the same situation (street-median) east and west of Kennedy, so the through service must be easier to manage.

Thanks for confirming you're not reading posts and just responding to whatever your eye scans, out of context. No wonder you're confused.

I was talking about the dubious utility of a combined Eglinton-SRT line the entire time, and I've already pointed this out, multiple times. You just quoted me saying it again.

To be honest, I couldn't make a lick of sense out of your sentence, so please explain to me what the hell "I have no faith in yours when we're talking about a combined RT-Eglinton line" means??

^ Yeah, I too think that fears of riders avoiding the LRT are overblown. Given the types of LRVs being pressed into service the vehicles will certainly feel like the subway. The stops will be far more than regular streetcar stops. And once riders get a feel for the schedule, the Eglinton LRT will become part of the normal travel patterns just like any of the subway lines. If it saves time, it will be used....which in my books is anyone heading along Eglinton or any destination north of Eglinton. For the majority of riders heading to downtown, they'll be taking the Bloor-Danforth line and they would have done so regardless of whether Eglinton was a subway or LRT.

picture.php

It is now required (at an extra cost of course) to provide handicap accessiblity to the LRT and HRT underground stations. The diagrams, they are showing us, seem to say they will only be installing elevators for handicap accessibility (and for baby strollers, food carts, and broken legs).

There is an alternative: ramps. The problem with ramps is that they require more space. Have ramps been considered at least? What incline would they have to be?

03-waterfront-station.jpg

Last edited:
There is an alternative: ramps. The problem with ramps is that they require more space. Have ramps been considered at least? What incline would they have to be?

According to the Americans with Disabilities Act, the maximum slope is 1:12, with the maximum rise of 30 inches per ramp (760 mm). Assuming the Ontario legislation is comparable, you would need a heck of a lot of ramp. There's probably parts of the act that require someone to install an elevator if the change in height is above a certain level so that people don't get exhausted wheeling themselves up a series of ramp.

It's probably not feasible to use ramps for this much elevation change.

http://www.mobility-advisor.com/wheelchair-ramp-specs.html

no ramps please. they take up way too much space, increase the distance of travel and are another physical burden to deal with.

TTC elevators... sometimes I think they chose the model of elevator just to give the maintenance guys work.

Back