News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 433     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I can totally see Metrolinx elevating the line over Leslie Street in the next 4-7 years to provide more reliable service to Science Centre, and to the Ontario Line connection. It's relatively simple, because it would be a short 300m bridge structure, then the rest would be a separated guideway to Don Mills similar to the one built at Black Creek. It would be a relatively simple and effective solution to providing reliable service. The stop at Leslie (Sunnybrook Park) should be removed to be as cost-effective as possible..
View attachment 291887

But elevating the entire line in Scarborough, It might be a while (2040), or might not even happen at all. It's simply more time, money and construction. But it should happen... eventually.
And then conversion to fully automated light metro tech if possible?

I can totally see Metrolinx elevating the line over Leslie Street in the next 4-7 years to provide more reliable service to Science Centre, and to the Ontario Line connection. It's relatively simple, because it would be a short 300m bridge structure, then the rest would be a separated guideway to Don Mills similar to the one built at Black Creek. It would be a relatively simple and effective solution to providing reliable service. The stop at Leslie (Sunnybrook Park) should be removed to be as cost-effective as possible..
View attachment 291887

But elevating the entire line in Scarborough, It might be a while (2040), or might not even happen at all. It's simply more time, money and construction. But it should happen... eventually.
They should be doing that now, they have two years.

Or we could keep the Leslie stop and just shift the roadway to be entirely on the north side of the tracks. We could also ditch the highway-ramp-like intersection with the street that connects to the future Crosstown development.

^ Best case scenerio, you shut down the line for a year or two and lower the trackbed in all of the stations.
Throw out all the LRVs, rebuild the MSF and pay the remaining of the 30 years maintenance contract off? What a pipedream.

Leslie didn't warrant a station nor did ML want to spend more money on it. If they did shift the roadway to the north side, they'll still need to build elevators for the station to avoid at grade pedestrian crossing. They would rather eliminate the stop instead.

Throw out all the LRVs, rebuild the MSF and pay the remaining of the 30 years maintenance contract off? What a pipedream.

Leslie didn't warrant a station nor did ML want to spend more money on it. If they did shift the roadway to the north side, they'll still need to build elevators for the station to avoid at grade pedestrian crossing. They would rather eliminate the stop instead.

The YIMBYs around Leslie (Sunnybrook Park) demanded it so. Just like the NIMBYs around Willowdale Avenue and Sheppard did NOT want a subway station in their snobby neighbourhood for Line 4 Sheppard.

As much as I would love it for the line to be converted to light metro, I don't find it practical for a long time. The Crosstown will have to be near capacity (at least 30yrs from now), the gov's money overflowing (very rare), and a premier will have to be convinced that shutting down the line for two years is worth it. Otherwise, it will be impossible to get to the point where there will be any chance to upgrade the line.

Even the Ontario Line will provide 'relief' for the Crosstown when it eventually opens.

dse79pe2kr861.jpg

As much as I would love it for the line to be converted to light metro, I don't find it practical for a long time. The Crosstown will have to be near capacity (at least 30yrs from now), the gov's money overflowing (very rare), and a premier will have to be convinced that shutting down the line for two years is worth it. Otherwise, it will be impossible to get to the point where there will be any chance to upgrade the line.

Even the Ontario Line will provide 'relief' for the Crosstown when it eventually opens.

The underground stations can just squeeze in 4 car low floor LRT trains with some demolition of false walls and structures at each ends of the platforms.

Ontop of that, custom low floor LRT's could be bought that are all one long train with many modules, adding capacity.

The at-grade portions of the LRT could be replaced with elevated/tunneled rail and still use the at-grade rails in the meantime. PTC is already enabled in the tunneled portion, the same could be applied to the new grade separated sections.

Platform screen doors could be installed.

Theres no reason to replace the low-floor LRT's with high floor light metro, there are many solutions for a potential ridership increase that would only minimally disrupt the line.

The underground stations can just squeeze in 4 car low floor LRT trains with some demolition of false walls and structures at each ends of the platforms.

Ontop of that, custom low floor LRT's could be bought that are all one long train with many modules, adding capacity.

The at-grade portions of the LRT could be replaced with elevated/tunneled rail and still use the at-grade rails in the meantime. PTC is already enabled in the tunneled portion, the same could be applied to the new grade separated sections.

Platform screen doors could be installed.

Theres no reason to replace the low-floor LRT's with high floor light metro, there are many solutions for a potential ridership increase that would only minimally disrupt the line.
I agree. I expect whatever upgrade that will come in the form of grade separating the street running potions and giving them full automation.

The sections being grade-separated will have to be shut down for construction. There is no way they can build above or under that street with the trains still running. I guess there is the option of creating passing tracks for that. And they can do it in phases as they did for Melbourne's 'sky rail' project. But they will have to take a lot more space from the road than they did for constructing the original segments and I don't know how locals and politicians will react to this.

This makes the crosstown sound very similar to premetro lines seen in Europe.

Last edited:
From earlier in this thread, see link...

View attachment 291975
From PDF at this link.

Absolutely. The full space we have to work with is about 150m. Plenty of room.

You could have a train built out of 2 Alstom Citadis Spirit 5 module 59m cars (these are even bigger than the Ottawa ones) and a middle 3 module 30m car. For a total length of 150m and a passenger crush load capacity of 930 people. Almost 1000 people per train.

Or, Alstom could be spec'd to simply build a special 13 module car. But that would require special design and a new maintenance and storage facility. I think 930 people per train is good enough haha.

The new elevated/tunneled replacement would be built to the same length of course.

CAF has already a car (train) over 60 M with 9 sections operating in Budapest with 2 power units. There is no one with longer cars to match what is being stated or request here.

To have what is being requested requires more power units and more complex than adding section as noted. You better talk to manufactures first to see if they can build the train being requested as well what is needed to do it.

There are reasons why more than one car is require to make a train. Even the RR using High Speed trains have 2/3 trains making up one train.

On a different note, has an Opps!! taken place for the surface section, or a design error been found or a change in design thinking??? Will post more on this later based on what I saw today that was unplan for.

Back