News   May 06, 2024
 243     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 760     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I wonder if that's the date that crosslinks plans to hand it over to Metrolinx and the TTC for training and not actual operations?
No, that's the operation date ... and has been since 2015. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tr...stown-to-open-a-year-later-than-expected.html

Of course remember what happened to Crossrail, where they suppressed all the news of the delays, and months before opening, suddenly they were 2 (maybe 3 at this rate) away from opening.

that would be an interesting turn of events after Metrolinx said they will be grey because the subways have a metallic finish on them and because they will be underground like a subway then the will be gry so they are like t metal finish on the subways

"Grey"? They look "red" to me.

subway-5701-12.jpg

From link.

Of course remember what happened to Crossrail, where they suppressed all the news of the delays, and months before opening, suddenly they were 2 (maybe 3 at this rate) away from opening.
the only opening date I'm actually concerned with is when they announce an actual day saying September 2021 is meaningless until there is a day attached to it as they are still extremely vague and anything can push it back at that point.

the only opening date I'm actually concerned with is when they announce an actual day saying September 2021 is meaningless until there is a day attached to it as they are still extremely vague and anything can push it back at that point.
There'd be an in-service date in the contract ... offhand right now, I can't see a particular date other than it's in September 2021, but it would be in the contract. I guess there's nothing to say they couldn't open it earlier ...

The November 2015 announcement of the award of the contract says "Though most construction work will be completed by early 2021, commissioning and training for the service will be carried out through to 2021 to meet the in-service date for the LRT".

The best indication will be how far they are able to run the cars, in early and mid-2021. I don't think anyone would be shocked if service started on time, while some works continued at some stations (which we saw on the Spadina line), or if a particularly problematic station didn't open day one.

By the end of the year, a lot of the surface section should be completed with tracks laid

By the end of the year, the 3 most western stations should be completed far enough for train testing. (Mount Dennis / Keesedale / Caledonia)

The stations that are being mined will take the longest to complete and that's where the delay will come from if they're going to be delayed at all

The stations that are being mined will take the longest to complete and that's where the delay will come from if they're going to be delayed at all
I'm more worried about Kennedy - which is more an open pit, rather than mined (as far as I know at least); and the Line 1 interchange stations. I doubt any of the mined stations will preclude through operation by mid-2021, even it trains don't stop.

I'm more worried about Kennedy - which is more an open pit, rather than mined (as far as I know at least); and the Line 1 interchange stations. I doubt any of the mined stations will preclude through operation by mid-2021, even it trains don't stop.

I think they have started to proceed building up at Kennedy station, which wasn't even a pit about 2 months ago. They have made substantial visual progress at that site over the last couple of months. Agreed the interchange stations are also the ones the furtherst behind compared to some of the others.
I really think someone is being cheap because it's not like they have full crews working on each station.

I wonder if that's the date that crosslinks plans to hand it over to Metrolinx and the TTC for training and not actual operations?
The commissioning part of "testing and commissioning" meant training operators to run the line. Substantial completion means the project is ready for revenue service. I suppose training will actually start in summer 2021 to figure out any operation issues.

I don't think Kennedy is that far behind compared to other stations. Kennedy being over to the side gives them a more relaxed schedule than the ones in the middle of the intersection. Most of the stations are decked over for traffic thus the covered up pits. Some are at the same stage as Kennedy but we just can't see.

The most difficult station is Eglinton. They dug both sides but they still have to dug under Line 1. Unlike Kennedy where they can do it anytime without shifting traffic, Eglinton has both traffic and the subway to schedule around.

The commissioning part of "testing and commissioning" meant training operators to run the line. Substantial completion means the project is ready for revenue service. I suppose training will actually start in summer 2021 to figure out any operation issues.
That seems very late if it's to open in late summer (September)! Above we noted that IO said "commissioning and training for the service will be carried out through to 2021 ". Surely that would mean training is starting a lot earlier. I wouldn't be surprised if they start training in late winter or earlier!

I still don't get why these need to be done by now. wouldn't 200 make more sense instead of having tracks put in place leading to know where for a year and a half?

It's probably just how the stars aligned. VIVA had a similar debacle back in 2016 when the Rapidway to VMC was completed, but the subway wasn't yet finished so the rapidway went unused for about half a year, before they decided to reroute a YRT route onto it. Probably to at least get some use out of it. I would figure this is the same scenario as the original completion date was late 2020. If anything, this gives them more time to fix any bugs, allow drivers to familiarize themselves with the arrangement and will hopefully avoid the scenario like the Sydney Metro with multiple teething problems in the opening week.

I still don't get why these need to be done by now. wouldn't 200 make more sense instead of having tracks put in place leading to know where for a year and a half?
I don't see why you have a problem with them completely early. The decision was made back in 2014 when ML accepted Crosslinx' proposal to do most of the surface trackwork in 2019. It gives them time to correct mistakes.They have to organize all the permits and preconstruction work. It gives time time incase delays like the Queensway/Roncy intersection project is pushed back a year

I don't see why you have a problem with them completely early. The decision was made back in 2014 when ML accepted Crosslinx' proposal to do most of the surface trackwork in 2019. It gives them time to correct mistakes.They have to organize all the permits and preconstruction work. It gives time time incase delays like the Queensway/Roncy intersection project is pushed back a year

Let's not start with Queensway Roncy and other deferred projects in general. Let's just not start..

Back