Toronto Crosstown LRT: Eglinton Station | ?m | 1s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Does anyone have any pictures showing the intended move? Used to live here and very interested in seeing what this "shift" entails.

Does anyone have any pictures showing the intended move? Used to live here and very interested in seeing what this "shift" entails.

From Steve Munro's website at link:

201311_eglintonstn_appc.jpg

There is a 2013 PDF report at this link with more detail.

they are essentially rebuilding the platform 70 metres further north to improve transfers between the two lines. The south 70 metres of the platform closes, the north end gets extended north by 70 metres, and some new escalators and stairs are punched in.
From Steve Munro's website at link:

201311_eglintonstn_appc.jpg

There is a 2013 PDF report at this link with more detail.

Hey, as long as the south entrance from Yonge Street and the Quantam Towers is maintained.

they are essentially rebuilding the platform 70 metres further north to improve transfers between the two lines. The south 70 metres of the platform closes, the north end gets extended north by 70 metres, and some new escalators and stairs are punched in.
All the while without any of the foresight to expand the platform widths...

It did not used to be this bad before, but in recent years if there are extended delays at morning rush hour, the Eglinton Station platform gets outright scary.

All the while without any of the foresight to expand the platform widths...

It did not used to be this bad before, but in recent years if there are extended delays at morning rush hour, the Eglinton Station platform gets outright scary.
Expanding platform widths would require a closure of the Yonge subway for many months, and we all know the city would be virtually paralyzed if that happened. Just take a look at what happens when the Yonge subway is down for 10 mins, let alone months.

I dont think a Union Station style solution would be possible at Eglinton due to the constraints around the station, and the exorbitant costs of adding another platform.

Did they consider just shifting one of the platforms north? As in, extend the existing platform 70m, and have the southbound trains stop at the northern end, and the northbound trains stop at the southern end? I can't see why it matters that the north- and southbound trains stop exactly opposite one another in the station.

They are shifting the platform north so that (approximately) half of it is north of the stairs down to the LRT, and half to the south. That way, those transferring are spread out far more evenly on the platforms. (Most of those currently bussing to Eglinton station will be arriving via the LRT in the future, so that accessibility will be crucial to making the station work efficiently.

I do wonder, however, if there will be enough space in the end, and whether they should instead have planned to also add a platform on the east side for northbound trains (as well as moving the station to the north). It wouldn't be cheap, but who knows how busy this will be…

The shift will help distribute passengers transferring from LRT to the Subway platform
- but won't the shift just create more of a crush from Subway to LRT since you'll have passengers coming from both sides?
(i.e. single ended access would be slower, more controlled access to the LRT platform)

The shift will help distribute passengers transferring from LRT to the Subway platform
- but won't the shift just create more of a crush from Subway to LRT since you'll have passengers coming from both sides?
(i.e. single ended access would be slower, more controlled access to the LRT platform)

No because there will be an intermediate level between subway and LRT platforms to distribute the loads:

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...m-1s-metrolinx-norr.26480/page-2#post-1203028

It can't plausibly be worse than an arrangement similar to the current Yonge-Bloor (with the exception that both are island platforms in the case of Yonge-Eglinton).

AoD

Last edited:

Not necessarily. The passengers from the west could transfer to the southbound trains at Cedarvale (Eglinton West) Station. They might get a better chance of a seat and skip the Forest Hill, Chaplin, and Avenue stations by doing so.

If there was a Relief Line transfer at Science Centre, it would benefit the passengers from the east.

Back