Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

Daily Commercial News

Glazed over at the TEDCO Corus Building in Toronto
August 25, 2009

110.jpg

WILLIAM CONWAY/PROGRESS PHOTOGRAPHY

Glass work has reached the roof of the TEDCO Corus Building on Toronto's waterfront. Construction manager Aecon Buildings began the seven-storey, 565,000-square-foot building, with one level of underground parking, in summer 2007.

The project was designed by Diamond and Schmitt Architects Inc. Consultants are: Halcrow Yolles (structural); Smith and Andersen Consulting Engineering (mechanical); and STANTEC (electrical). Subtrades include: Terrasan Environmental (excavation); Anchor Shoring & Caissons Ltd.; Gilbert Steel Ltd. (rebar); Structform International Ltd. (formwork); and Dufferin Concrete.

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/article/id35053

Here is something I just noticed. The 16 York office development is apparently going ahead, with 841,000 square feet costing about $118 million, or about $140 per square foot.

Meanwhile, the Corus Quay project is 452,000 square feet, costing about $156 million (almost all taxpayer money), or about $345 per square foot -- almost 2 1/2 times as much as 16 York.

Another way of looking at this is that the office space at Corus Quay would represent about 18 additional floors for the 16 York project, which presumably would have cost about $66 million over its current cost, saving $90 million of taxpayer money and resulting in a 50 floor office tower (instead of 32 floors) at 16 York -- and leaving the current Corus Quay site open for something worthwhile.

If 16 York was announced too late, then Union Tower or 18 York could have been heightened instead.

Bill

Last edited:
Wow ... imagine if RBC, Telus, 16 & 18 York, Corus and the rest were added to Bay Adelaide ... WTB perhaps?

P.S. You sure you aren't confusing the 118 million cost with the first residential tower? Telus is estimated around 250 million.

P.S. You sure you aren't confusing the 118 million cost with the first residential tower? Telus is estimated around 250 million.

From the Ice Condos thread:

COMMERCIAL OFFICE, RETAIL BUILDING
Proj: 9098337-2
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
NEGOTIATED/PLANNING
York Centre, Bremner Blvd, York St, Ford York Blvd, M5J
$118,000,000 est

It doesn't say exactly what the 118 million includes however, Reed construction data's figures are often wrong. Whatever. You can't built a 30 storey, 800,000 square foot office tower with 6 levels of underground parking for $118 million.

Some pics from inside Corus taken today.

The Atrium

IMG00025.jpg

Corus004.jpg

IMG00027.jpg

What will be studios along the northwest corner of the first floor.

Corus001.jpg

What will be the open air stages on the west side. The bay/roll-up door in the foreground will be the Edge (102.1) studio
IMG00028.jpg

Taken on the second floor facing east (north east corner of the buidling).

Corus008.jpg

I did have some work to do, so I didn't get many more. I will be back onsite in the coming months and will try to get some more pics.

Enjoy.

It doesn't say exactly what the 118 million includes however, Reed construction data's figures are often wrong. Whatever. You can't built a 30 storey, 800,000 square foot office tower with 6 levels of underground parking for $118 million.

maybe just the materials cost...

Thanks a lot for the pics, Airstream. I hadn't realized that 102.1 The Edge is leaving its street-level studio at Yonge and Dundas. What a terrible idea that is, they get so much visibility there. Even if Sugar Beach and the East Bayfront are huge successes, I don't think that they are ever meant to have quite the foot traffic of Yonge/Dundas square.

Thanks a lot for the pics, Airstream. I hadn't realized that 102.1 The Edge is leaving its street-level studio at Yonge and Dundas. What a terrible idea that is, they get so much visibility there. Even if Sugar Beach and the East Bayfront are huge successes, I don't think that they are ever meant to have quite the foot traffic of Yonge/Dundas square.

Isn't it Q107 at Dundas Square, with The Edge down the street, in the Eaton Centre, on Yonge near Shuter? Not that it matters much.

I'm not sure that the Yonge/Shuter location is that great -- it seems to be ignored by most passersby. There might be better opportunities at Corus Quay, for larger events spilling out in Sugar Beach, etc. The crowds along the East Bayfront public promenade may get more engaged in the live broadcasts, given the location and the nature of the foot traffic, than on Yonge where it is harder to get noticed. Just speculating.

Back