Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

July 22

This summer has been the pits for trying to take a photo shoot day. Gave up at noon.
IMG_july-22-09-0004.jpg

IMG_july-22-09-0005.jpg

IMG_july-22-09-0006.jpg

IMG_july-22-09-0007.jpg

Photo from May 24. Where the trailer are, they are gone and that whole area is clear.
IMG_may-24-09-0133.JPG

IMG_july-22-09-0004.jpg

I know the north side will eventually be hidden behind other buildings but will the west side be as well? I'm looking at the road being built in the foreground.

I know the north side will eventually be hidden behind other buildings but will the west side be as well? I'm looking at the road being built in the foreground.

According to the precinct plan, yes there will be a building to the east (I think you meant east, as the west will be Sugar Beach)
48f8f2e882984.jpg

48f8f30d565ec.jpg

The building on the left would be right next to Corus, and then its Sherbourne Park.

Regardless of what gets built to the north of it, the employee and visitors entrance to Corus will also be from that side, with a loading/delivery area to the east. The atrium, a central spine that leads through to the lake, is overlooked by offices to the east and west and by a green wall on the east side. Two tube-like walkways cross the atrium, linking the office blocks. The ground floor will be largely transparent, with a couple of eateries and large overhangs on the exterior waterfront promenade side. I don't think it has been stated where Troika's art works will go, or what they'll look like, but they seem a good choice for an entertainment industry building like this.

Hey, I hear...

... that the architects of Corus Quay have done such a fabulous job that the St. Petersburg Opera House in Russia has asked them to do that re-do as well! Who would have thought that the Russians would have the vision to replicate Corus Quay on a river setting rather than a harbour. Amazing visionaries!

;)

/\ Hate it.

That hokey, swooping, tacked-on, 'look-at-me' roof element seems at odds with the ultra-contextualism which often characterizes Diamond's architecture and represents the sort of frivolous design 'flares' which he rightly challenges. The St. Petersburg scheme is not offensive per se, but it really lacks the grace of our own Four Seasons Center whose beautiful city room tickles every sense. While this heavy, mass-oriented box may be appealing to some conservative Ruskies but at nearly half a billion dollars, it doesn't seem worth it. Taniguchi's oft criticized MOMA addition was taken to task for using up roughly the same amount of money but whereas in New York I can (sort of) see where the money went, here I just can't.

Granted I'm making these judgments based on a couple of small renders from the Globe, but then again, so are you.

There are more renderings on the D+S site.

The curved glass Rrrrenzo rrroof ( sheltering a patio that's equivalent to the rooftop patio the FSC didn't get, by the look of it ) obviously plays off of the rectilinear exterior of the building - much as the curved, slatted wood screen in the City Room does - and it probably also signals the auditorium below, much as the curved horseshoe of our roof does, since it appears to be at the City-Room-equivalent end of the building. It's a nice little flippy affair that's repeated as a canopy at street level - a bit like the Richmond Street canopy we didn't get. The colour palette used on the exterior is obviously much lighter than that used at the Four Seasons Centre. There isn't the rather excessive use of glass that's planned for the new Montreal symphony hall, just lots of nice little vertical slashes of window.

The bridge to the original Mariinsky is an idea inherited from the golden spud design. There's also what appears to be a saucy little shorthand quotation of the Mariinsky, facing it across the canal, and a second floor restaurant. We don't get to see the loading area but I trust it will be as nice as ours is.

But enough of all this excitement - let's get back to the equally lovely Corus ...

these 'winged' roof elements seem to be the current D+S signature as evidenced by their contribution to the new Regent Park (though a much stubbier version there). Other than that, the roof looks like the roof of a parking garage.

According to the precinct plan, yes there will be a building to the east (I think you meant east, as the west will be Sugar Beach)
48f8f2e882984.jpg

48f8f30d565ec.jpg

The building on the left would be right next to Corus, and then its Sherbourne Park.

I wonder when the evolution of these renders will take place? :(
I'm really hoping they don't change this a bit. Some of the buildings (stone?) remind me of new stuff going up in Frankfurt

Last edited:
Grey, if these shots were taken from the islands, I demand some updated 'classic' shots of the city skyline which have been denied to us due to the strike. Thanks.

Back