Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

March 15th.

tour8.jpg

The glass looks great in this picture! This building is going to change color as the sky changes color throughout the day.

This thread is a good example of the problem when issues are so relentlessly cornered into false 'either-or' polarizations (grey or colour, spectacle or no spectacle, boxy or curvey, within the 'Toronto context' or not etc). It's disingenuous and counterproductive. The heart of the issue here is Diamond's vision of architecture for this site, and whether you're for it or not. I for one feel it is perfectly reasonable to criticize Corus without resorting to false dichotomies.

The reason this building bothers me so much I think, is because I see other cities in the world building very cool buildings and other projects on their waterfronts. It would be nice to have something unique and outstanding. It doesn't necessarily have to be every colour of the rainbow, just something that attracts people and stands out.

The reason this building bothers me so much I think, is because I see other cities in the world building very cool buildings and other projects on their waterfronts.

Yes, but it's rare that they're nothing but "really cool buildings and other projects"--I'm sure the locals in those "other cities" could pick out their own Corus-equivalent bete noires.

And it isn't like Toronto's waterfront is on the verge of being built up with nothing but Coruses--even Jack Diamond, I reckon, would shudder at the thought...

Although looking at the massing study/preliminary render which Spine created and I posed a couple of weeks ago, few if any buildings stand out. It's better than what's there, but that doesn't mean it's good.

Note: "massing study and preliminary render", i.e. definitely room for design flexibility. Don't judge a book by its cover...

True, but it implied that everything will conform to a rectilinear grid with with little room to create a really creative little enclave.

Sort of like Book City in Korea, the subject of their Bienalle Pavillion last year. Granted, the contexts are a little different, but it still gives you a good idea of what I mean.

Paju, Book City.

This thread is a good example of the problem when issues are so relentlessly cornered into false 'either-or' polarizations (grey or colour, spectacle or no spectacle, boxy or curvey, within the 'Toronto context' or not etc). It's disingenuous and counterproductive. The heart of the issue here is Diamond's vision of architecture for this site, and whether you're for it or not. I for one feel it is perfectly reasonable to criticize Corus without resorting to false dichotomies.

I agree with Tewder: you're either for Diamond's vision or against it.

Yes, but it's rare that they're nothing but "really cool buildings and other projects"--I'm sure the locals in those "other cities" could pick out their own Corus-equivalent bete noires.

And it isn't like Toronto's waterfront is on the verge of being built up with nothing but Coruses--even Jack Diamond, I reckon, would shudder at the thought...

The waterfront is running out of room for more developments though.

This thread is a good example of the problem when issues are so relentlessly cornered into false 'either-or' polarizations (grey or colour, spectacle or no spectacle, boxy or curvey, within the 'Toronto context' or not etc). It's disingenuous and counterproductive.

That may very well be, but it is increasingly difficult to make a point or observation on this board without at least 5 commenters letting you know how well versed they are in colour theory, art history and architectural theory, while simultaneously disagreeing with you and letting you know what a simpleton you are. Regardless, that is the nature of the forum beast and I am fine with it - I am guilty of it at times as well, but I hope I never cram my pomposity and supreme intelligence down anyone's throat..

---

With regards to the Corus sig(h)n - are people being serious about the fact that this grey building is going to provide an effective backdrop to their sad and outdated branding?

On a further note- I was recently at Quadrangle Architects and they mentioned, to my disbelief and dismay, that a lot of the colour will come from the interior furnishings - ie: green chairs from Teknion (ugh!), beige and orange wall dividers, red couches, orange and green accent walls. The interiors were pretty bland and boring, but sold them as vibrant, new and exciting. I can only imagine not working there.

p5

Maybe there's more virtue in a 1940s pier structure pushed and pulled through adaptive reuse and accretion for some 35(!) years now (i.e. York Quay) than an Ooh! Aah! architectural landmark...

Back