Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

Re: It sucks.

babel:

I was under the impression that Diamond can't be micromanaged by anyone after that last outburst. Why attribute those negative aspects to the design panel when Jack Diamond clearly retain full control of the design?

If only Siamak and Kuwabara can *really* micromanage the design.

AoD

Babel, I have great respect for you...but this is not Hariri and Kuwabara's fault.

From the last posted newspaper article:

"Diamond's design, which all panel members agreed was much improved after two previous sessions ..."

"The panel wimped out" admitted Toronto architect and panel member Siamak Hariri.

They've had two runs at this thing. They have approved it so far, though they seem to want to have it both ways by claiming they don't like what they've approved. And the article goes on to point out that they will continue to influence the evolving design by "reviewing the details" as Kuwabara claims.

babel:

Improved in what way? We don't know. Nor can we attribute the elimination of those balconies to the input by panel members.

AoD

is there any chance this building will be redesigned??

Turf war in Tinytown

The new design is the one that the review panel has approved. But what to make of a design review panel that approves a design it doesn't like - twice! And what to make of a member such as Hariri who, having approved a design twice then says at a public meeting that "I wish that it went much further, that it cantilevered on the water."? Well if he doesn't like it because it isn't cantileverd over the water, yet approves it, what faith are we to place in his or the any of the review panel's judgements? What use are they?

Can someone please post a pic of the new render? Thanks in advance!

Re: Turf war in Tinytown

Why is it so difficult for the design panel to demand and approve a building they actually like?

jack_diamond.jpg
=
imus.jpg

From the Globe, by Rochon:

A sinking feeling
On the lake, Globe and Mail architecture critic LISA ROCHON sees a lost opportunity

LISA ROCHON

Of all the words of mice and men,

the saddest are 'It might have been.'

Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

This week's decision by the city's waterfront design review panel to rubber-stamp a ho-hum building by architect Jack Diamond on a spectacular lake site is hardly surprising. Mediocre building is the legacy of Toronto's waterfront, and part of the long, unrequited love affair Torontonians -- including planners, architects and citizens -- have sustained with Lake Ontario.

The lake gives of itself every day. It isn't to blame. What is remarkable is the regular disdain hurled at its endless vistas, its meditative waters, its furious, seething mass.

And, so, the latest rebuff: a 10-storey building broken politely into two pieces and clad in a cold skin of glass. There is no kindly gesture extended to the water, not even a graceful canopy to acknowledge the lake. But there is a large, gaping entrance to a parking garage within metres of the crashing waves, and an atrium that depends on artificial lighting to achieve something like luminosity.

There might have been champagne. The site on Jarvis Quay is inspired.

The urban design review panel is mandated to shoot for excellence. Nearby, a series of exceptional landscapes by some of the world's best landscape architects will appear after winning design competitions. But there's no pop to the commercial building on Jarvis Quay, which will be the first stroke in a reinvented Toronto waterfront.

And Mr. Diamond, who has contributed tremendously to the tight urbanity of the city, isn't entirely to blame. The City of Toronto and the Toronto Economic Development Corporation, the city agency that hired Mr. Diamond, are responsible for upholding a time-honoured tradition along the waterfront: putting up buildings quick and dirty.

The process for "Project Symphony," as it is unfortunately named, has been fraught from the beginning.

Mr. Diamond was appointed by TEDCO without a design competition. Rather than spearheading a campaign of remarkable architecture on the waterfront, Mayor David Miller -- who assigned Mr. Diamond as his co-chair during his first electoral campaign -- has been pushing for the building to go ahead. A subcommittee of the urban design review panel was formed to accommodate TEDCO's hurry-up schedule. Paul Bedford, the former chief planner of Toronto, agreed to sit on the committee with architects Siamak Hariri and Bruce Kuwabara, the chair of the review panel.

For the first two meetings, Mr. Diamond didn't bother to show up, leaving a colleague, David Dow, to field questions and absorb recommendations. TEDCO wants shovels in the ground by July -- all of this to please its secret tenant.

This Thursday, during the third public review of the project, several of the panelists expressed their disappointment with the design. "What I've seen today is a substantial improvement over what we've seen in the past," said Mr. Bedford, referring to a previous, much boxier design that would have blocked public views to the water. "It speaks to the value of this urban design review panel. But," he added, "I don't think it's orgasmic."

Architect Tania Bortolotto called for an iconic building. "It doesn't have to be an OCAD," she said, referring to Will Alsop's startling design for an addition to the Ontario College of Art and Design. "But it should be something that architecture students around the world will come to see."

Architect Peter Clewes asked out loud: "What makes a waterfront building? Mr. Diamond's work has been to create modest buildings -- fabric buildings. . . . In Europe, there's an exuberance to their waterfront buildings."

From landscape architect Janet Rosenberg: "We have spent months and months reviewing works about the public realm. We always said as a group that the first building that came along for the waterfront really had to be in the spirit of the public realm. I don't feel that this is a public-realm building."

Mr. Diamond gathered his most imperial tone to admonish the panel for their temerity. "Iconic and exuberant -- that speaks to me of provincial insecurity. Toronto is made up of continuity and not discontinuities," he said.

By this, does Mr. Diamond mean to imply the public should expose itself to only one genre of literature, one sound, or indeed, one level of architecture? Is that all we can expect in this town, more of the same?

Let Hamburg hire Swiss luminaries Herzog & de Meuron to build its astonishing Elbe Philharmonic Hall, which lords over the river like an ethereal ship. Let Weiss/Manfredi architects carve a sculpture garden for the Seattle Art Museum next to Puget Sound. But on Toronto's waterfront, apparently, experiential architecture that engages and intrigues is destructive. As Mr. Diamond put it: "I think it's the destruction of our cities to endorse American individualism."

Oh, dear. What will the Americans think?

No matter. In the end, Mr. Diamond triumphed. The Toronto way triumphed.

And, sadly, Mr. Kuwabara caved under pressure from the mayor and TEDCO to get something, anything,built on the waterfront. It's not that Mr. Kuwabara thinks it's an exceptional design -- he says he'd give it a seven out of 10 -- but because, well, in Toronto, these things need to go ahead.

Only last week, Mr. Kuwabara spoke with passion about the possibilities for the site: "There's great waterfront architecture that's being done around the world. I keep showing the Institute of Contemporary Art by Diller and Scofidio because it's so engaged with the waterfront and it's become the cover image for Boston.

"Why not do a pier, something sculptural? In a very real way, this one is the first on a very prime site, and because it's on the water you'll see it twice, not only reflected in the water but also from the water itself."

Approval for Project Symphony is conditional, with the requirement that Mr. Diamond meet with the review panel to get the details of his design right. That should prove to be entertaining, especially if Mr. Diamond actually shows up.

lrochon@globeandmail.com

AoD

This would've been a terrific project to get Gehry in on - prime site, no existing building and a relatively large budget, a perfect opportunity for something iconic to kick off construction in this area...what a shame.

Mayor David Miller -- who assigned Mr. Diamond as his co-chair during his first electoral campaign -- has been pushing for the building to go ahead.

*rolling eyes and shaking head*

No matter. In the end, Mr. Diamond triumphed. The Toronto way triumphed.

That Toronto way SUCKS!

The first major new building south of Queens Quay is going to follow the proud Toronto Waterfront Tradition of building a wall of crap.

Louroz

"Toronto is made up of continuity and not discontinuities"

No. It most evidently is not. I'm hard-pressed to think of a city anywhere that is *less* made up of "continuity", architecturally or culturally speaking, than TO. And regardless, what existing "continuity" or context is there on the waterfront? Zero. Plus, "iconic and exuberant" are now indicative of "provincial insecurity"? This is all simply dumb.

Diamond's day is over, and this project is almost inarguably a huge let down in its thorough lack of inspiring vision.

Anyone who's seen my posts over the years knows that I'm as critical as anyone about Toronto's tendency towards timid, bland, and unimaginative architecture. But I'm a bit surprised at the controversy this thing is generating. It's not that bad!

Back