Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

Re: Public Process?

Reading this makes me mad. I think we should try and do something about this. Anybody have any ideas other then calling on the furry that is umademethisway?

Re: It sucks.

Yes, I saw the rendering. Quite boring. The popsicle/lighthouse is the largest pippydoo I have ever seen.

They wanted a honkin' great doodad for the site - so he gave them one. Now they're complaining that an office building looks like ... an office building. Go figure.

Reading this makes me mad. I think we should try and do something about this. Anybody have any ideas other then calling on the furry that is umademethisway?

One point you might want to address and keep in mind if you want to gain more public support and add more depth to any position you take are the 1000 or so jobs this will bring to the city, and too a part of the city that could probably benefit from a stronger employment base. The design might be kind of boring, but if the project implodes and those jobs end up going out to a Missassauga office park then how many people are going to see the benefit in that?

Oh, Babel. Reframing peoples' arguments as extremes is so... O'Reillyesque. We - or at least, I - don't want a tabletop, crystal, blob, wingding, or 100-foot-high doorknob. I just want a building that people can use, rather than ignore.

They wanted a honkin' great doodad for the site - so he gave them one. Now they're complaining that an office building looks like ... an office building. Go figure.

Can this man do no wrong in your eyes?

I just saw the new rendering and my first reaction was that it is worse than the first one posted at the top of this thread. And the giant illuminated toilet-paper roll does not help the situation.

What a shame this is happening. And yes, I would love to know what I could do to add my voice in protest.

A design review process is underway, so anything could happen. BCE Place, for instance, was considerably changed as a result of a similar initiative taken by the city. If a large corporation moves 1,100 people into a new building designed for them it is not unreasonable to assume that their needs are taken into account in the design process and that it will not be a building that they will "ignore", given the track record of the architect.

Just had a look myself and yes, it really does look sub-par for Meadowvale (where some really interesting buildings have gone up in the past few years). It looks even worse than the previous versions.

It seems that the only justification and defense that ANYONE (including Diamond) have been able to give for this project is that it will create jobs. I've heard that one a few too many times before.

The jobs argument is a red herring: no one is questioning the project. We are just questioning the design.

Much questioning of the process that has taken place, too.

Other than the temporary construction jobs, this propject will not be creating any new jobs. Both CanWest and CTVGlobe media would be relocating jobs from within the city of Toronto.

I agree with alklay. Two sessions with Kuwabara's review panel have produced a design that has lost much of the warmth of Diamond's original. All the balconies - a must for a waterfront building, surely? - have disappeared, as have the terraced setbacks and differentiated treatment of the two or three lower levels, shown in the rendering that started this thread.

So it's even worse now than before? What on earth is Diamond doing???

Being micromanaged by Siamak Hariri and Bruce Kuwabara, presumably.

Back