Hamilton Confederation GO Station | ?m | 1s | Metrolinx

IIRC the business case for the Niagara GO expansion had identified all-day service to Confederation.

30-minute service has only ever been rumoured for WH, with no formal documentation from Metrolinx. If it does happen, they may extend it to Confederation, but we'll see.
West Harbour is rumoured to have 30 minute service sooner than later, but I believe even Metrolinx docs show 30 minute service at least during peak.
1000007660.jpg

During peak, yes. But 30-minute peak service is only 4 rush hour trains, the same level of service that Hamilton GO centre enjoys right now.

The latest update on Niagara Services is here:

It lists 3 options.

1. 4 peak-period trains
2. hourly service and 4 peak-period trains
3. 30 minute service all day to St Catharines

My understanding is that Metrolinx ruled out 3. as cost prohibitive and is instead pursuiing 1. or 2.

Given the minimal infrastructure investment for Confederation and the wording on the website, I wouldn't be surprised if it's literally 4 trains a day in peak periods.

West Harbour is rumoured to have 30 minute service sooner than later, but I believe even Metrolinx docs show 30 minute service at least during peak.
View attachment 572070
This is taken from the full business case prepared by Metrolinx to secure Ministerial approval to proceed and guide the RFP. It is not necessarily the service plan that ONxpress will use.

Does anyone have the design drawings for this station? Kinda curious how the track alignment is going to work here. Are there two additional tracks being built for this island platform?

Does anyone have the design drawings for this station? Kinda curious how the track alignment is going to work here. Are there two additional tracks being built for this island platform?
There are total 4 track for the area with 2 north track for CN and 2 tracks for GO that used to be CN mainline on the south with the south track bridge being widen south for the centre platform as my photos show for it.

For the time being, an west switch will be cut into CN mainline for one of the 2 track that will connect to the 3rd track east of the station that runs to the Lewis yard and then connect to CN mainline.

At some future date, the 3rd track being built for West Harbour will be extended to the station that will split to service both tracks and see the removal of of the CN switch. The second station track will connect to the 3rd east track as well.

As for plans, I have asked that question a number of times and none have surface so far and if one does will it show how the original was be for the station before construction was awarded or as is? What I recalled seeing it in the beginning was a platform between the 2 centre tracks, but the current design is the best one as it keeps GO out of CN way partly today, and more so when the 3rd track is fully built between the 2 stations.

Something like this
================================================================
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Platform
--------------------------------------------------

Is there an official plan to build a third track between the two stations?
That was the original plan, but the plan was changed last minute to remove that part and push it forward to a future upgrade. Likely because they didn't think it was necessary to bring the planned service to Confederation or because they decided to reduce planned opening frequencies.

Or in a dream world, they negotiated in enough service cheaper than building a third track.

Interesting. I also realized that the empty lot on the south side of the tracks is going to be a large GO parking lot, with access tunnels to the platform. If you visit the site you can see that they have already started that work. Should be a pretty large and nice station.

Interesting. I also realized that the empty lot on the south side of the tracks is going to be a large GO parking lot, with access tunnels to the platform. If you visit the site you can see that they have already started that work. Should be a pretty large and nice station.
I'm hoping they treat Confederation as the end of the line, so that West Harbour which I'm right beside will be better served and more stable.

That was the original plan, but the plan was changed last minute to remove that part and push it forward to a future upgrade. Likely because they didn't think it was necessary to bring the planned service to Confederation or because they decided to reduce planned opening frequencies.

Or in a dream world, they negotiated in enough service cheaper than building a third track.
I expect the cost of installing the 3rd track increased. I wonder if a third track through some of Hamilton would trigger the need for some grade separations. There is a lot of busy at grade crossings between West Harbour and Confederation

I expect the cost of installing the 3rd track increased. I wonder if a third track through some of Hamilton would trigger the need for some grade separations. There is a lot of busy at grade crossings between West Harbour and Confederation
Apparently there really wouldn't be a "need" per se. It may be handy, but it's not actually a requirement.

Back