Toronto College Park Revitalization with Barbara Ann Scott Skate Trail | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | RAW Design

Gawd it looks ugly even before it is finished - because there isn't enough concrete already.

AoD
It is a small downtown open space on top of a parking garage. If it had large rolling lawns I am sure there would be many (and valid) complaints here about how it was not growing properly and being spoiled by people walking on it and dogs peeing on it. It is a HUGE improvement over what was there before and, considering where it is, seems pretty damned nice to me! Would I like rolling lawns and massive trees - of course but …..

It is a small downtown open space on top of a parking garage. If it had large rolling lawns I am sure there would be many (and valid) complaints here about how it was not growing properly and being spoiled by people walking on it and dogs peeing on it. It is a HUGE improvement over what was there before and, considering where it is, seems pretty damned nice to me! Would I like rolling lawns and massive trees - of course but …..

I find that insufficiently convincing an argument - there are many examples of parkland above underground structures that didn't resort to such a heavy-handed use of paving; also - the use of lawn is the least imaginative solution to the problem of overpaving as well.

AoD

Gawd it looks ugly even before it is finished - because there isn't enough concrete already.

AoD
More like it looks ugly because it's not finished. The tree planters will warm the space up.

This would be a nicer space if it was anywhere else. They're kind of up against it with this one considering the surrounding scenery.

This park is a fitting conclusion to the Aura debacle. They deserve each other.

Actually it is a fitting conclusion to the whole College Park debacle in general. I can't say there is anything good in the whole block other than what's built as part of the Eaton project.

More like it looks ugly because it's not finished. The tree planters will warm the space up.

This would be a nicer space if it was anywhere else. They're kind of up against it with this one considering the surrounding scenery.

Not really - the planting may soften things up, but the bones are already set. You can get similar impressions in other projects by this stage of implementation.

AoD

can someone explain to me why the large concrete area to the north of the park wasn't included for rehabilitation. Having walked through it on occasion, I can seldom recall such a desolate space in the middle of a city.

Not part of the park - it's private. Now that I thought about it, I wonder if the reluctance to do anything about that space is a prelude to having a development proposal for it.

AoD

Not part of the park - it's private. Now that I thought about it, I wonder if the reluctance to do anything about that space is a prelude to having a development proposal for it.

AoD

That would assume GWL had foresight, ambition and competence........I have yet to see evidence for any of those.

can someone explain to me why the large concrete area to the north of the park wasn't included for rehabilitation. Having walked through it on occasion, I can seldom recall such a desolate space in the middle of a city.

It's a preview of what the new concrete's going to look like in a couple of years.

Too much poured concrete. Less concrete and more stone would have done a huge service to this park. Budget must have been too tight.

Too much poured concrete. Less concrete and more stone would have done a huge service to this park. Budget must have been too tight.

They got a measly amount of s37 for the project from Aura - and I would go further - there is way too much hardscape (cast concrete is merely the tip of the iceberg) for a space that will likely never see that level of usage.

AoD

There is a small army of insects descending on the south west corner of the park!

IMG_4508.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4508.jpg
    IMG_4508.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 480

Back