Toronto CN Tower: Entry Pavilion, Plaza, Renos | ?m | ?s | CLC | Arcadis

Toronto seems to use concrete in basically every landscaping/public realm project. I guess it's due to the fact that it is such a cheap material and we are such a cheap city? It's an awful material to use outside because it looks terrible when it oxidizes; just look at the CN Tower. Speaking of which; is it really necessary to leave that movable platform attached to the tower's base on a perpetual basis? Isn't that indicative of that negligent, apathetic civic attitude in this city? We have one of the world's greatest engineering achievements, yet we treat it like just another piece of utility.

I agree, that platform, which I don't know what it's used for looks like a temporary construction platform but it's seems to always be there. Such an attractive piece to see while looking up from the ground. I also would also like to point out how ugly the concrete looks on the tower. I've read someones comment on here how it would be a sin to touch it. I think it's almost a sin not too. I'm sure there's a material out there that would greatly improve the look of it from up close.

I agree, that platform, which I don't know what it's used for looks like a temporary construction platform but it's seems to always be there. Such an attractive piece to see while looking up from the ground. I also would also like to point out how ugly the concrete looks on the tower. I've read someones comment on here how it would be a sin to touch it. I think it's almost a sin not too. I'm sure there's a material out there that would greatly improve the look of it from up close.

I personally would love to see the concrete covered with a white ceramic material. But who would pay for this?

The platform isn't temporary at all. It was added as part of the maintenance infrastructure of the tower. Although I'm not sure when that happened.

If you also go to this link; https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.642286,-79.38729,3a,75y,40.89h,100.13t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1skJNoAnzgQTnppawCrvuITQ!2e0!3e5!7i13312!8i6656https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.642286,-79.38729,3a,75y,40.89h,100.13t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1skJNoAnzgQTnppawCrvuITQ!2e0!3e5!7i13312!8i6656

You can see how it is used as an access platform for swing stages. It gives workers access to all sides for maintenance. There is a weird looking white enclosed stairway that goes up to a roof at the northeast, from which they can access the stage platform.

Last edited:
How often is repair work done on the tower? Can the platform not be installed when needed? It's so negligent to just leave there all the time. It looks as though the tower is a constant construction site.

I agree that the tower needs some alternative exterior treatment, but tiles would look awful on it. Something that envelopes the tower, without seams, would look much better. There's got to be something that can be done to make it look better? I wouldn't want the entire tower to be white, however. I like how the white antenna above the main observation deck contrasts with the concrete below. Even the (aluminum?) antenna could be revitalized. It looks pretty filthy.

We kind of treat the CN Tower the same way we've treated the Gardiner for years; just patchwork, bandaid solutions. We really need to be bold and tear down the tower and put in a boulevard. ;)

Man, those pictures in that April Fool's link are really telling. This is probably a bit far fetched, but does anyone think using said pictures, or similar ones, and sending them to The Fixer, at The Toronto Star, could at least get some public awareness about this happening? Perhaps the owners of the tower would take notice and feel obliged to do something about the situation; or at least consider some options? The Fixer section of The Star is probably not read by many people, however. What is really needed is a prominent article in said paper; and all local and national papers, for that matter. The more exposure this gets, the stronger the possibility of some permanent remediation coming to fruition. Someone like Sean Micallef might be up to such a task?

Last edited:
From today --

lots of activity at the base of the CN tower.

yeah Toronto!...the fish fountain is fixed...hope it stays fixed. I saw something in the Star (the fixer) that put some pressure to get it fixed. Is that all it took?

Does anyone know if the sculpture in this square is permanent? I hope that a few of the other PanAm installations stay (Toronto sign in Nathan Phillips Sq)....where else would it go other than some storage warehouse.
IMG_0317.JPG
IMG_0325.JPG

There are also a couple of fabulous inflatable structures at the Harborfront Centre. The smaller one would be a great regular warm weather pavilion.
IMG_0319.JPG
IMG_0320.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0317.JPG
    IMG_0317.JPG
    563.7 KB · Views: 2,334
  • IMG_0325.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 1,913
  • IMG_0319.JPG
    IMG_0319.JPG
    356 KB · Views: 1,937
  • IMG_0320.JPG
    IMG_0320.JPG
    429.1 KB · Views: 1,903
Last edited:
Great shots. I believe the inflatable structures are by Hariri Pontarini.

Does anyone know if the sculpture in this square is permanent?

Do you mean the multicoloured pinecone-looking thing? That's actually the Pan Am cauldron. I don't know if it stays when the Games end or if they douse the flame and take it down. Be nice if it stuck around, even if unlit – it's a nice bit of colour.

Great shots. I believe the inflatable structures are by Hariri Pontarini.

Do you mean the multicoloured pinecone-looking thing? That's actually the Pan Am cauldron. I don't know if it stays when the Games end or if they douse the flame and take it down. Be nice if it stuck around, even if unlit – it's a nice bit of colour.

It costs thousands of dollars a day to keep the flame lit up. Although everyone in the city is so concerned with every friggin one of their pennies going towards wasteful government spending this is a very lucrative expenditure because of the amount of people that take selfies with it, then spend their money on things like the CN Tower and buying cans of pop or going to see the salmon run or the real salmon at the aquarium. We need to spend money on things for tourists to keep the city filled with tourists rather than treat people as if they are only taxpayers who drive cars.

Back