Toronto CityPlace Puente de Luz Bridge | ?m | ?s | Concord Adex | Francisco Gazitua

It will probably reopen shortly, as the issues weren't major. The mesh issue is minor. The most pressing issue for the inspector was the fact that the expansion joints presented a tripping hazard.

They dealt with a different inspector this time, as the last one had not brought up any of the issues that came up this time. The city needs to get its act together.

I feel like if this was a bridge for cars they'd fix it faster (and have opened it sooner) but a bridge for pedestrians and cyclists just isn't a priority or concern at all. This is unacceptable.

It's almost like the mesh would be better off "all around" than just on the sides, almost like an "umbilical" architectural element...

Hey,

We should all go in for some ladders and bolt them to the ends...that will show whoever designed this thing what we think about ramps!

G

And so it is confirmed... the bridge wont re-open until 2013 according to Concord Adex's twitter account.

While they're fixing the mesh maybe the could buy some yellow paint and paint over the bolts and pipes that were left exposed on the bridge. That would help a bit.

Agreed we need a fall guy (or girl.)

On a serious note though, wasn't there a theory that they had to get it open by a certain time to fulfil some contract obligation? That they had an agreement with the city that if it wasn't opened by a certain time they'd pay a penalty? Maybe this is what happened. They technically 'opened it' in time to fulfil the contract, and then re-closed it to actually finish it off. I thought I read that somewhere on here.

Hmmm....

Last edited:
Agreed we need a fall guy (or girl.)

On a serious note though, wasn't there a theory that they had to get it open by a certain time to fulfil some contract obligation? That they had an agreement with the city that if it wasn't opened by a certain time they'd pay a penalty? Maybe this is what happened. They technically 'opened it' in time to fulfil the contract, and then re-closed it to actually finish it off. I thought I read that somewhere on here.

Hmmm....

I believe the contract was to have the bridge completed before Montage or N1, N2 were allowed to register (Don't remember which one it was). The city released Concord from that obligation, as it was holding residents hostage since their building could not register, and the bridge was nowhere close to being built due to GO Transit being a pain to work with.

I believe the contract was to have the bridge completed before Montage or N1, N2 were allowed to register (Don't remember which one it was). The city released Concord from that obligation, as it was holding residents hostage since their building could not register, and the bridge was nowhere close to being built due to GO Transit being a pain to work with.

Wow, that would be crazy, because I live in N2 and it was completed in 2007 (I moved in in 2009). Had the city held them to it, people would just be moving in now - 5 years after than when the building was completed! :D

Wow, that would be crazy, because I live in N2 and it was completed in 2007 (I moved in in 2009). Had the city held them to it, people would just be moving in now - 5 years after than when the building was completed! :D

Nah, you would have moved in on time, you just would have been paying 'rent' instead of mortgage payments up until now.

As best as I know…

It was expected that the bridge would open permanently as of the opening ceremony.

The work on the bridge gets done, the arrangements are made to open the bridge—which included quite the logistical ballet: a ton of people to coordinate, including flying the artist in from Chile, bringing the Chilean Ambassador in from Ottawa, Concord Pacific execs in from Vancouver, Adam Vaughan, many other people as well, plus booking the caterers, the valets, a band, a Chilean dance troupe, arranging for the outfitting of the party space—and then in the couple of days leading up to the opening a City inspector decides that the clips holding the mesh to the bridge are too sharp.

P1310829Clip.jpg

There was a question regarding a couple of joins too.

Anyway, the opening event could not be put off. Concord Adex did a first class job of it, and it's a shame that the bridge was not allowed to open following it. Everyone involved wants the bridge open ASAP.

I have a pile of photos coming from the event at some point, and I have been planning to run the story the day that the permanent opening occurs. It will be a bit of a shame that the event will feel nostalgic by when that happens.

Back