Toronto CityPlace Puente de Luz Bridge | ?m | ?s | Concord Adex | Francisco Gazitua

That mesh completely ruined this bridge.

Agreed.

If Bathurst immediately to the West and Spadina immediately to the East have NO MESH then there is not one single reason why this bridge should be meshed in. None!

Also, rust is not going to be kind to this bridge. When the mesh starts to rust and when the bolts holding it together start to rust you're going to see big orange streaks all over the yellow.

This bridge could have been so much prettier. What a lost opportunity.

A monument to the bureaucracy of MetroLink.

Whenever I see this bridge, I think that its colour should be a brighter shade of yellow. The colour chosen looks like it was bright yellow at one point and then weathered to a duller shade. So the colour can give impressions that the structure is dated.

The metal hand rails on this bridge look raw and discoloured. It just looks unfinished and needs to be painted. As for the mesh, what is the purpose for it? It's very easy to thrown objects over the top, if some idiot wanted to cause trouble. That mesh accomplishes nothing but making the bridge look ugly and it needs to be taken down.

Last edited:
If I ever jump from a bridge, I'm jumping from Puente de Luz bridge just to spite MetroLink.

The metal hand rails on this bridge look raw and discoloured. It just looks unfinished and needs to be painted. As for the mess, what is the purpose for it? It's very easy to thrown objects over the top, if some idiot wanted to cause trouble. That mesh accomplishes nothing but making the bridge look ugly and it needs to be taken down.

Suicide prevention and the standard norm for Metrolinx. A person can climb that mess to jump if they want.

Question!! how many people have jump off the current 3 bridges in this area before this was built??

We should seriously consider a letter writing campaign to Concord Adex regarding that mesh, someone said it well above, it's totally ghetto. Some type of barrier is needed but that cheap looking mesh crap ruins the bridge and I'm guessing the experience of walking across it. I like the yellow idea, though I'm not crazy about that yellow but not a complaint really, just an observation. Otherwise a great addition to the area, I can't wait to finally see and use it next summer.

When Metrolinx—late in the game—demanded the mesh, the City was pushing chain link for the solution. The bridge designers had to go as far afield as South Africa to find something that was acceptable to the building department and Metrolinx.

The reason that glass was not possible was that the bridge was engineered to have the wind blow through it. Closing it up would have meant the bridge might be blown off its piers in a significant storm, unless its supports were totally rebuilt to resist the potential wind loads.

So, you can decide for yourself if you would rather have had chain link than this mesh, or a major delay to rebuild for glass enclosure, or more sanity from the powers that be.

Knowing of the unlikelihood of more funding and the undesirability of a significant delay, I'm leaning toward more sanity myself, but I am thankful that we did not end up with chain link, which would have been the worst option.

I propose we just make it illegal for anyone to leave their house. Then we won't need to worry about anyone jumping off bridges, or climbing up the arches in NPS, or slipping on ice, or stepping into oncoming traffic.

I would rather that someone had let Cityplace know that they needed to have a barrier. That way when it was being built, they could have built it with glass barrier and to withstand wind.

I would rather that someone had let Cityplace know that they needed to have a barrier. That way when it was being built, they could have built it with glass barrier and to withstand wind.

It would have been nice if the city (or Metrolinx) stepped in and put more money towards it to make it look better. Either to find a new solution for the mesh, or to build stairs leading East. I have used the bridge twice on my commute home so far and don't think I will be using it again. Its easier to just walk to Spadina and head back West along the North Linear Park. Not as nice of a walk, I'll admit, but its all about convenience and this bridge doesn't offer that in its current form.

Back