Toronto CityPlace Puente de Luz Bridge | ?m | ?s | Concord Adex | Francisco Gazitua

Information on Puente de Luz

Just a few comments on Puente de Luz, the title for the bridge that was partly installed on Aug. 6. The colour was chosen to ensure a soft glow through varying light conditions- it also picks up on the brick of the Trade Centre which can be seen far in the distance if you are looking west from a Concord CityPlace tower. The design team consisted of Francisco Gazitua, the artist, Peter Sheffield, PEng, Concord Adex staff and Karen Mills of Public Art Management as well as MMM and representatives of Halcrow Yolles. The sculptural form of the bridge had many challenges- a good many associated with weight.
Wow. Great photos. Incredibly vivid.

The bridge looks better in place than I expected, I don`t know if it`s the metal-halide work-lights, but there is actually something very appealing about the yellow in these photos.

Since when are Dufferin & Queen and Parliament not downtown?

Like I said in my post, it would depend on one's definition of "downtown". This is really not of consequence to the discussion since the point I was making was that it has been a really long time since we have had a new route across the tracks in and AROUND downton.

It is in the yard at Walters Inc. being prepped for the next stage lift- not sure of the exact date off the top of my head. In addition to the bridge, the ramps will feature some sculptural elements as well as portals that lead the visitor into the bridge. If these are your photos they are WONDERFUL. I was on the 12th floor balcony but the light was so bad for my shots that they are not worth looking at.

Like I said in my post, it would depend on one's definition of "downtown". This is really not of consequence to the discussion since the point I was making was that it has been a really long time since we have had a new route across the tracks in and AROUND downton.

If you restrict yourself to BIXI boundaries, I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems, but arbitrarily compact definitions of "downtown" ain't one.

Where's the other bridge? Is it all built and ready to go? Wouldn't they build it on site?

Bridge sequence of events

Yes the other part of the bridge is built and will be ready to install shortly. The planning for any installation this complex has to take into consideration the activities on the site- in this case ensuring a minimum of disruption to the railway lines. There was not sufficient time to conduct both lifts in a single go. We could not keep the railway corridor shut down for more time than we were given.

Dufferin is not downtown.

I consider the downtown core to be from The Don River to Duffrin, south of the Dupont/Davenport area. You don't consider Little Italy or Liberty Village to be in the downtown core? The CNE/Ontario Place is still part of the downtown waterfront. Anybody who doesn't consider Regent Park, Corktown or The Distillery District to be downtown, is out of the loop. They are all very urban, downtown districts. The downtown is the tripple Ds. (Duffrin, Don River & Dupont)

Yes the other part of the bridge is built and will be ready to install shortly. The planning for any installation this complex has to take into consideration the activities on the site- in this case ensuring a minimum of disruption to the railway lines. There was not sufficient time to conduct both lifts in a single go. We could not keep the railway corridor shut down for more time than we were given.

The other part of the bridge is not built yet. Its currently sitting in pieces on the north side of the rail yard.

Downtown as defined by the City of Toronto extends from the Don River Valley to Bathurst north of Queen and the Don River Valley to Dufferin south of Queen. There's even a model of downtown in the lobby of City Hall.

Back