Toronto Cinema Tower | 142.64m | 43s | Daniels | Kirkor Architects

The artwork looks far too "Universal Studios" for my taste. Not quite the textured stone look I was hoping it would have.

The artwork looks far too "Universal Studios" for my taste. Not quite the textured stone look I was hoping it would have.

The first pic looks like a shot from the set of a new Flintstones movie.

I like the terra cotta look on the parking garage, but that entrance is a WTF moment......

I can't say I have burst into laughter when viewing a construction photo on UT before, but damn, that is the ugliest condo entrance I've seen.

Original renders:

attachment.php

sept28_2011_2.jpg

Actual:

JAm5QxU.jpg

Funny commentary from Kirkor Architects:

CINEMA TOWER’S INNOVATIVE PUBLIC ARTWORK
Posted on October 5th, 2011

Like many cities across North America, Toronto has a Percent for Public Art program. This means that every new development must devote one percent of construction costs towards an artwork that may be enjoyed by the public.

Our project, Cinema Tower, at the corner of Adelaide and Widmer Streets in downtown Toronto is currently under construction and slated for completion in the fall of 2013. We are particularly pleased with the art piece at the entrance of the tower, which is integrated with the architecture while creating a dramatic and one-of-a-kind centre-piece for the building.

sept28_2011_1.jpg

The piece is called STRATA and it’s by award-winning artist Peter Powning, who is based in southern New Brunswick. We worked with Peter on our Chicago project in Mississauga several years ago where he created an unusual, artistic ‘Portal’ out of cast bronze and stone.

sept28_2011_4.jpg

You are all mistaken... this is actually a picture of the entrance to Hanna Barbera Land at Canada's Wonderland..... this is not Cinema Tower.

That "portal" should have been the first clue that this was not going to work out well.

Back