Toronto Cinema Tower | 142.64m | 43s | Daniels | Kirkor Architects

13 July 2013: It dawned on me today as I stood staring at this beast what the "window dressers" were inspired by: The cinemas of today, not yesterday. You know, those vomit-coloured EIFS-clad monsters that blight the suburbs.

nmul.jpg

x8gj.jpg

tg7i.jpg

A passerby told me the land was owned by a Chinese woman who sold it for $3 million--is this accurate?--and that she still owns the Champs site because it's a cash cow. He said the developers were going to be making at least $80 million profit--accurate or just neighbourhood gossip?

The "nimby" agreed that this is one ugly entrance:
c1u9.jpg

The "nimby" also stated the parking lots across the street are going highrise after 2014.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;O9FnFxoXBmg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9FnFxoXBmg[/video]

You know, for all of you who hate boxes, give credit where its due ... this isn't a typical box in the slightest, ignore the base if you must, though I'm rather fond of it, less the entrance.

The orange material has been completely cleaned / replaced / ... whatever they did, and its very consistent throughout out.

I'd bet this tower will get noticed a lot more than the big, grey mass, beside it. (by the average person walking down the street) I like the few flourishes, that this building has, like the upward curve on the podium roof, as well as the bits of colour. The "art piece" while tacky, is not the entrance to the condo. It is the entrance to the Artscape space, that will be some sort of theatre or cultural attraction. I wish the roof of the tower was better resolved but over-all, it's not so bad.

While this isn't a great building, it isn't even close to the worst of the heap.

Last edited:
Had to see that entrance off Widmar with my own eyes! Yeah, it's pretty comical, but nothing a little "Canesten" couldn't cure.

Back