Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
That's what makes me apprehensive about POPSes in general. They're often presented as high-quality public spaces that are being provided by the private sector as a public benefit when the developer is making its pitch. In reality, the rules of usage will fit whatever is convenient for the ultimate owner and will likely be more restrictive than conventional public spaces.
I was involved in the establishment of one POPS (Yonge & Rich). There at least there are strict rules about open hours etc (I forget the details and the City may well not enforce them but when POPS are established there are usually 'rules' as part of the negotiation.)

Couldn't it have been a negotiated public benefit like Cloud Gardens and the Bay-Adelaide Centre or built with section 37 money?
I think the Cloud Garden rebuild is not 'public benefit' or Section 37 but was (is) being done by developer because they needed the space while building and the 'fee' for using the old park space was to rebuild it. Others may have more/better info. I am unclear on exactly what it will look like and never saw any kind of public consultation on the plans.

More bridge progress over the weekend:

F541047E-5973-4131-8772-09B7CEFF7776.jpeg

Looks like they're starting to get into Time Team mode...

I really hope the rework of Bay Street that comes with the new Streetcar loop involves doing something better than the messy looking pieces of fencing they've stuck along the median rn. Cus oof those are looking rough.
Not sure why this is in the CIBC Building thread but .... If you mean the fencing along the top of the streetcar portal on Queens Quay the answer is that the portal will be rebuilt. Though many have complained about the fencing, WT has said it 'must' remain until this happens. (I suspect the current permanent fence is too low and someone COULD fall over it, with difficulty.)

Not sure why this is in the CIBC Building thread but .... If you mean the fencing along the top of the streetcar portal on Queens Quay the answer is that the portal will be rebuilt. Though many have complained about the fencing, WT has said it 'must' remain until this happens. (I suspect the current permanent fence is too low and someone COULD fall over it, with difficulty.)
I meant the fencing along the median in Bay St north of the railway bridge. Noticed how messy it is, it in one of the pictures of the current construction site. Probably should have quoted the relevant picture, my bad.

This fencing. It's just in poor condition and a mess to look at.

I meant the fencing along the median in Bay St north of the railway bridge. Noticed how messy it is, it in one of the pictures of the current construction site. Probably should have quoted the relevant picture, my bad.

This fencing. It's just in poor condition and a mess to look at.
OK, :-> Though I agree it's a mess it is Transportation and, in fairness, if I were in charge of things I would not fix it (and improve it) until construction is finished. With all the trucks turning into the site there it is almost guaranteed to be hit, many times!

I went up this morning, I challenged myself to the stairs. I took plenty of photos with my phone and a point and shoot camera and no security to be seen, never mind hassles from them.

It’s a really nice hidden spot.
I thought security were only bugging people outside of business hours. Makes me hopeful that I won't have any problems with them when I head up there sometime.

Back