Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
On the subject of the Big 5 warring over Toronto's skyline a few pages back, I stumbled on this today.

That time Toronto banks went to war over Scotia Plaza

36c3-20130209-Scotia-Ad-Lead.jpg

There's a difference between "My condo's western facing window has a right to sunlight!" and "Children using a public school's playground shouldn't have to play in the shade in winter."

One is entitlement, the other is effective use of a public resource. Our planning system accommodates the latter.

A children's playground is available for public use but, it's not a true public resource. I could be wrong, but I believe the shadowing concerns have been focused more on the public park and it's only forumland that has mockingly made it about the children.

That I'm not sure. It was mentioned to me that three banks ended up fighting for anchor tenant in this complex and CIBC won. Elsewhere I heard BMO was looking for over 1MM sqf.

Still that's pretty exciting stuff. Wonder where else are they going to go, with 16 York going ahead on spec (but small); 160 Front perhaps (but on the wrong side of the core?)

AoD

Still that's pretty exciting stuff. Wonder where else are they going to go, with 16 York going ahead on spec (but small); 160 Front perhaps (but on the wrong side of the core?)

AoD
Ya there's certainly a lack of head office type space. Bay Park was sort of it.

Anyway my fantasy of a modern day building war between the banks may happen after all...

Me i think the next one will be Union Centre or 3o Bay street that will find a tenant.
These 2 tower have what the big Bank want.Not only the 2 tower are tall but they are very pretty and futuristic.
I am thrilled that Bay Park Centre had been leased by CIBC. So i think that there will be a war between big corporation for
excellent and futuristic building .30 Bay is located in the core and very close to Bay Park Centre.
Union Center is very pretty and located close Union station.This is why those 2 tower have more chance to find a tenant now.
16 York,the Well office tower and Bay Adelaide tower 3 are too small for them.

Union Centre and 160 Front are both fairly large, and both look like nice head office style towers. I'm not sure if 160 Front will have a convenient PATH connection, but that will be a key factor. I'll bet Oxford is wishing they worked to get 30 Bay planned and approved.

Union Centre and 160 Front are both fairly large, and both look like nice head office style towers. I'm not sure if 160 Front will have a convenient PATH connection, but that will be a key factor. I'll bet Oxford is wishing they worked to get 30 Bay planned and approved.
Right? It's the last foreseeable Bay St address for a bank. RBC could drive 'synergies' :D if they were to move the bulk of their employees next to WPP.

There is always the possibility of something unexpected.... the Convention Centre, for example, could add an office tower or two.....

Right? It's the last foreseeable Bay St address for a bank. RBC could drive 'synergies' :D if they were to move the bulk of their employees next to WPP.
I was just about to suggest maybe it's RBC. With the way they've been changing addresses left and right for the past 30 years, I wouldnt put it passed them at all.

If BMO wants a million square feet, Allied's Union Centre is approved for 1.1 million, and now that Bay Park's taken, there may never be a better located office tower built again in TO. Right at Union Station, on the path, beside the convention centre, steps from the dome, etc., etc., etc…

Back