Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
No, those people were looking at you funny for other reasons, we say "car park".

parkade is the uniquely Canadian term - but Toronto uses a wide mix depending on the person. Parkade is more popular elsewhere in Canada. Personally I use parking garage.

I still slip into "car park" occasionally - thanks to British colonial education. You'd find enough people who gets the term here in TO anyways (like "lift").

AoD

I still slip into "car park" occasionally - thanks to British colonial education. You'd find enough people who gets the term here in TO anyways (like "lift").

AoD

I think those are words that are not often used by many here but easily understood by most.

The really funny thing to call a parking garage, is, wait for it, a parking ramp. Oh those Buffalonians!

I think those are words that are not often used by many here but easily understood by most.

Eventually - I find that most took the "what, oh you meant...?" route, so I am a little circumspect about the easy part until they clue in. Not so sure if it can be said said out of the border.

AoD

It worked against The One.

There's a difference between "My condo's western facing window has a right to sunlight!" and "Children using a public school's playground shouldn't have to play in the shade in winter."

One is entitlement, the other is effective use of a public resource. Our planning system accommodates the latter.

Some TTC signage refers to "Car Park"

1794910431_d2693277f8_o.jpg

From here: http://spacing.ca/toronto/2007/10/30/joe-clarks-ttc-type-and-tile-tour/

Back