Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
I don't know if that's totally true. Scrappy startups certainly aren't looking for this kind of 'corporate' space, but the really huge US tech firms if anything are migrating their Canadian HQs into exactly this kind of building. Apple and Amazon are both in 120 Bremner, having moved from Markham and Mississauga (I think). Cisco is in WaterPark Place (the new RBC-anchored building). LinkedIn is in 250 Yonge. And so on. These are huge, growing companies with money to burn and so I don't think it's impossible to see more of their like moving into 'financial' towers.

I don't think this is true; Amazon still has there Mississauga site (warehouse and some ops) but its development lab was always downtown, Same with all the other companies you've listed.

A lot of companies have indeed opened up in Toronto (tech companies) but most have had 0 presence in the area before; I think there's been very very very little 905 -> 416 movement, its mainly all new growth / expansion.

Big US companies (in none tech / creative / financial spaces) will always prefer to set up in Mississauga and we see that trend continuing / growing.

I don't think this is true; Amazon still has there Mississauga site (warehouse and some ops) but its development lab was always downtown, Same with all the other companies you've listed.

A lot of companies have indeed opened up in Toronto (tech companies) but most have had 0 presence in the area before; I think there's been very very very little 905 -> 416 movement, its mainly all new growth / expansion.

Big US companies (in none tech / creative / financial spaces) will always prefer to set up in Mississauga and we see that trend continuing / growing.

There's truth in many of the statements about what types of firms generally prefer what type and location of buildings, but reality is that there are no strict absolutes. Take, for example, Google, which is in a decidedly "un-cool" building in the middle of the financial district (although they've made the space itself nice). Then we've got Coke, obviously a massive US company, which moved onto King E. Facebook moved from midtown to MaRS centre, a massive building in the middle of an entire district of massive buildings, where a number of other tech firms (including AirBnB and Etsy) are located.

Sure, there are lots of tech companies in former industrial spaces in and around King W., Queen and Spadina, etc., but there's certainly no uniformity in the type or location of office they seek.

Similarly, you've got many instances of companies recognizing that, in particular, younger workers who live downtown don't want to commute to the inner or outer suburbs for work. SNC Lavalin recently moved downtown from (I think) Etobicoke; Deloitte moved a bunch of employees downtown (even though they still have office space outside the core); Cisco, Apple, Amazon, and BCE all moved into or around SFC; Telus moved a ton of office space from the 'burbs down to the SFC; and so on and so on.

All that's to say that, aside from the correct assumption that IC needs to find tenants of any sort for a massive new office complex, it's difficult to predict what tenant or tenants will wind up signing up for space there.

There's truth in many of the statements about what types of firms generally prefer what type and location of buildings, but reality is that there are no strict absolutes. Take, for example, Google, which is in a decidedly "un-cool" building in the middle of the financial district (although they've made the space itself nice). Then we've got Coke, obviously a massive US company, which moved onto King E. Facebook moved from midtown to MaRS centre, a massive building in the middle of an entire district of massive buildings, where a number of other tech firms (including AirBnB and Etsy) are located.

Sure, there are lots of tech companies in former industrial spaces in and around King W., Queen and Spadina, etc., but there's certainly no uniformity in the type or location of office they seek.

Similarly, you've got many instances of companies recognizing that, in particular, younger workers who live downtown don't want to commute to the inner or outer suburbs for work. SNC Lavalin recently moved downtown from (I think) Etobicoke; Deloitte moved a bunch of employees downtown (even though they still have office space outside the core); Cisco, Apple, Amazon, and BCE all moved into or around SFC; Telus moved a ton of office space from the 'burbs down to the SFC; and so on and so on.

All that's to say that, aside from the correct assumption that IC needs to find tenants of any sort for a massive new office complex, it's difficult to predict what tenant or tenants will wind up signing up for space there.

Well said and completely agreed ! I think one thing that can be said is companies that are currently located on the PATH are a lot more reluctant to move off the path (or away from a subway station directly) I think that can be seen a bit; RBC did move a bit away but there's still a direction connection.

And my other general comment of how the 905 is still doing very well and we're not seeing any reserve movement there at all (growth in both areas).

Architectural plans for 141 Bay are now available on the Dev App site:

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentApplications/mapSearchSetup.do?action=init

upload_2016-5-2_20-46-53.png

From p. A04 Renderings of the Architectural Plans

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-2_20-46-53.png
    upload_2016-5-2_20-46-53.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,126
I am saddened that potential relief to the Union Station LRT bottleneck is going to be passed by.
In a perfect world, having the vision and alternate funding mindset would save most if not all of the waterfront LRT issues terminating at Union Station loop.

The parking lot of Phase 1 has current provisions for a GO Bus terminal, rumblings of a lrt station platform.

What is possible is a LRT super loop with Queens Quay east/west and potential Bremner LRT terminating there to be built from scratch without disruption to current service operations (save blowing out the eastern Queens Quay tunnel).

This is a vertically integrated LRT station with GO buses above and a short walking corridor to both TTC and GO/Metrolinx operations.

The diagonal walk from this new underground station through the existing loop would be a mere half block.

Often times using private construction opportunities for public transit seems like a no brainier, where are the planners and opportunists that are needed in times like this?

Paying for this effort could be as simple as offering property tax free for 20-25 years?

Tunneling Bremner from the new 33 Bay Station, popping up at Spadina continuing down Fort York to Lakeshore west and then on out to Etobicoke in RoW.

To bend the ears of of some of our near sighted planners and politicians when things seem so simple.
If this was NYC in particular they would've jumped on this from the get go.

I am saddened that potential relief to the Union Station LRT bottleneck is going to be passed by.
In a perfect world, having the vision and alternate funding mindset would save most if not all of the waterfront LRT issues terminating at Union Station loop.

The city is still rather busy pressing the reset button for the nth time. Like honestly, it's not the plans that need resetting - it's those who thought that resetting it yet again will somehow get you the miracle cure.

AoD

The Building Maintenance Unit is situated on the 54th floor of the tower - there is no 13th floor though

I've gone through the documents I have now, and have found that the floors in the north half of the first phase 81 Bay tower (formerly known as 45 Bay) are listed as:
53 Plant
52 Plant
51 Plant
50 High Rise Machine Room
49 High Rise Overrun
48 Typical High Rise
etc. downwards.

There is a 13. Those floors above 48 are all mechanical, and ones that we don't count.

I've gone through the documents I have now, and have found that the floors in the north half of the first phase 81 Bay tower (formerly known as 45 Bay) are listed as:
53 Plant
52 Plant
51 Plant
50 High Rise Machine Room
49 High Rise Overrun
48 Typical High Rise
etc. downwards.

There is a 13. Those floors above 48 are all mechanical, and ones that we don't count.

Am I looking at a different set?

pGV6dxf.png

141 Bay has a 13th floor

LtvPZQC.png

It's a different set. Good chance that by the time that 141 is ready to head into the sky, they'll have removed the 13th there too.

Crazy superstitions!

42 I did that on purpose!

Back